Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
when does your stash become hoarding >

when does your stash become hoarding

when does your stash become hoarding

Old 02-06-2010, 08:18 AM

Such control. Even if it is kinda forced on you.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:37 AM

I'm actually more relaxed doing it this way. I don't get in the store and have to choose which fantastic fabric to choose. I know it's the one that matches my project and that one only.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:43 AM

I wonder if they will auction the whole van or just so much per grab. Can you imagine what that fabric must smell like? Ohhhhh my imagination is going places where noone has gone before. LOL

Seriously, I agree the woman has major problems. However, if you are going to hoard, fabric is probably better than some other things. Wonder if she stacked it neatly or just stuffed. Ahhhhh, wondering minds want to know! :lol:
Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 AM

That woman definitely has a big problem. Her husband is no help; could be he is one of those quiet men who find it easier to go along than fight it. I was acquiring quite a bit of fabric (love colors), but fortunately I have two granddaughters who are learning to quilt so the stash is starting to disappear, although slowly. Years ago a friend and I had a buying problem; we started taking only so much cash, but we put everything we thought we needed in the basket and when it came time to leave the store, we had to put back everything we couldn't pay for. Kind of had the psychological feel of shopping. Took us about 6 months, but we did overcome the shopping obsession and never went back. I say that woman needs professional help.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:40 AM

That is definitely hoarding. I don't see how she can see fabrics that work in a piece, or how she would ever use it all! Sounds like an awesome garage sale when she dies! I thought I was bad with 4 plastic drawer units and some bins. Guess not!
Old 02-06-2010, 09:41 AM

Maybe he does it to keep her quiet! GG
Old 02-06-2010, 09:46 AM

I use to joke about that old saying "she who dies with the most wins" until someone replied," she who dies with the most dies anyway" put a different slant on how much is enough. I buy lots of my stash at garage sales so it's not like I have lots of money tied up it it. I don't have a great dal but I tell my husband, I won't use it all up if I lived to be 100. I remind the Lord, I can't die yet I have too many quilts running through my mind to make.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:47 AM

Maybe she was exaggerating, wanting to seem important. At any rate, having that much would be considered hoarding. I have watched hoarders too, and love Kim and Aggie on How clean is your house! I always get the urge to clean after watching, but I usually get over it in a day or two lol I have to feel for those people on those shows, especially the ones with young children and pets. That is no way to bring up kids. What are you gonna do?
Old 02-06-2010, 10:05 AM

Maxine "the one with the most fabric win

i hope we can all go her yard sale
Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 AM

I, too, was worried about having too much stuff (I watched Hoarders) but the difference is that I don't keep stuff just to keep it and while my house is messy, it isn't dirty. I recently retired, my mom passed at the same time (I was her primary caretaker for many years, the last 5-6 were pretty difficult) and things got real stacked up. That said, I do have too much stuff, and so last year I hired a college girl and we went through closets and drawers and really did some de-cluttering. Since then I have gone through all my kitchen cupboards (how many sets of mixing bowls do you need? Plastic, glass, metal, white, wow!) I still have lots of stuff and a long way to go, but at least now I am feeling lighter :) I do not want to leave a mess for my kits and hubby to have to deal with. Now, onto my sewing room: I have an entire room filled with shop quality fabric and patterns and sewing supplies. But, as I go through it to find pieces for a project, I pull pieces that I will never use (the "what was I thinking?" pieces) and put them onto the free table at my quilt guild meetings or donate them to the guild raffle table or give to a friend. I never ever miss the pieces!!! Here are some pics of my computer room closet, before and after. I'll post more pics of before and after. It's pretty striking and very cathartic!

A closet of shelves in my computer room stuffed to the gills with papers
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29165[/ATTACH]

Same closet after.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29166[/ATTACH]

This was my desk
[ATTACH=CONFIG]29277[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-29165.jpe   attachment-29166.jpe   attachment-29277.jpe