Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: When I buy a pattern, I want to receive a pattern

I paid a lot less for a similar pattern and thought it odd but I wanted the pattern and the price was good...As for the legality, it seems to me that if you own something--whether it's a car or a magazine--you should have resell rights. My first thought at reading your note was, "What a nice son to be so helpful!" Guess that's at least a bright side...

Blog Entries
    You do have resell rights if you purchased the item to begin with. What is being complained about is taking the original and reproducing it in whatever fashion to make money on more than the original copy as I understand it.

Of course friends share things also. I don't see any fault in doing that.

Blog Entries
    1. the legal owner of a magazine may legally sell the original magazine in whole or part.

2. nobody can sell copies of those pages without written consent from the publisher.

3. if the ebay seller states in the description that it's pages from a magazine they are not doing anything illegal or unethical.

read the descriptions.

Blog Entries
    The ebay seller that I dealt with stated that the pages were from a magzine so I guess it was legal.

Quote Originally Posted by PatriceJ
    1. the legal owner of a magazine may legally sell the original magazine in whole or part.

2. nobody can sell copies of those pages without written consent from the publisher.

3. if the ebay seller states in the description that it's pages from a magazine they are not doing anything illegal or unethical.

read the descriptions.

community benefactor
    I've bought the patterns that were pages from the magazines, but they have said so in the description. Also I usually pay $.99 plus $1.99 postage. The vendor I bought from did not combine shipping so you pay for shipping for each item even if they ship together.

Blog Entries
    When you buy from E-bay, always make sure that you scroll down to find more information on the particualar item you are purchasing. If it was not stated that it was from a magazine then give them a bad rating and state why. These sellers depend on having high ratings in order for others to purchase from them.

You need to file a complaint. If you used paypal start there

There are people who do things like this every where you go. It's sad that so many have this kind of mind set.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieoh
    You need to file a complaint. If you used paypal start there
    there are no grounds for a complaint. she would lose.

to repeat: it's legal

the seller advertised it accurately

sorry for your mishap...but i am not sorry for anybody that buys from ebay,,,have heard too many horror stories..people just think they can get away with anything..but they are not going to get me///

I have seen quite a few patterns listed on eBay that say they are pages from a magazine. Have him go back and read the listing, they may have told him, and he missed it.

Candace...sometime the "fine print" is not there. I bought a ream of HP paper, and seller asked if I could come to his apartment in Louisville, KY to pick it up. I live in Florida :thumbdown:

Also, sellers don't always list the amount of fabric, and I'm so new I don't know how to find out, does anyone?

Power Poster
    send it back and complain to ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by SueDor
    That's horrible. Complain to ebay!
    ...and to McCall.

I've made hundreds of eBay purchases over a several year span of time and have had few problems. Three of my purchases were patterns from magazines in protective plastic sleeves. The descriptions did state that was what was being sold. These sound like the same deal as The Cat's Bell told about. For what I paid, I'm happy with the patterns. The seller pays eBay a listing fee, another fee when the item is sold, a PayPal fee, furnishes mailing materials (manilla envelope or whatever), and may have to drive to the post office to mail the package. This doesn't even count the seller's time. Most eBay sellers are honest, friendly, and helpful.

I have seen many "quilt patterns" for sale on ebay. Most of the ones I saw, the description actually said it was pages taken from an actual magazine. And if there was pattern on the other side of the page you would get that too--well duh, of course.

I guess anything can be sold nowadays.

Chris

You need to file a complaint. Ebay does not like to hear about over charging for shipping. They have guidelines for each catagory. Let them know so they can't do it to someone else.

Super Member Sheree from Chicago's Avatar
    You can always post your thoughts when you leave feedback for the seller - which I would for sure do in this case.

Blog Entries
    I hate when that happens, I would raise a stink if it were me. Sorry you had to go through that.

Oh I would definitely complain to the seller AND to eBay....

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

Blog Entries
    Hobo now understands that the seller was within her rights to sell the original pages from a magazine.

The seller responded fully to Hobo's after-sale inquiry.

Hobo has acknowledged the matter as settled. her comments are not the reason for this lock. it's locked because others have - in effect - hijacked the topic. it is incorrect, misleading, and pointless to keep accusing the seller of wrongdoing and to keep encouraging hobo to file a complaint [she wouldn't win].l

to repeat again: there are no grounds for complaint.

the item was accurately described.

the transaction was both legal and ethical.

into every life a little rain must fall. check your umbrellas for holes. ;-)

case closed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2