Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When people don't appear grateful for the quilt they are given... >

When people don't appear grateful for the quilt they are given...

When people don't appear grateful for the quilt they are given...

Old 08-17-2011, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by Glassquilt
I don't give as much credence to gushy thank you-s spoken at showers as to the facial expressions & body language. I very much prefer to see the item used.
Agreed... a funny story about my stepdaughters baby shower on Sunday...I heard that her aunt or great aunt, I don't know which was complaining to my mother in law (who is in the hospital and didn't attend) how she thought they were NEVER going to finish opening gifts, because after she opened them, she held up each item to show and then had to put each thing away/fold etc....I am scratching my head over this, because I don't know what the alternate option would be? Open, fling on floor, tear into next gift, and no one gets to see?

If the poor girl had carried on over gifts more than she did (a reasonable excitement over the THIRD bottle brush) we'd STILL be there!!

I did attend a bridal shower where they set up an assembly line (literally) with bridesmaids opening the gift, handed gift to bride, bride said, "How nice", then next bridesmaid shoved card back into bag and stacked them. The bride never opened a box or showed anything off. I was never so disappointed. It was like they were trying to get out of there with the loot as fast as they could.
I will never make this couple anything homemade. For her, everything has to be new and "top of the line."
Old 08-17-2011, 05:51 AM

I make quilts for all my kids and grandkids, but never before discussing with them what pattern and colors they would like. Am in the process of collecting 24 different fabrics for my daughter's bargello. She didn't like any of the traditional patterns I showed her, but when she saw the bargello she was excited. Finally! I can't wait to get the remaining six fabrics and get started on it. I make all my quilts to be used and make sure the recipient knows they will stand up to washing/drying. Oldest granddaughter got one this past Christmas in Buckeyes colors and was thrilled, but didn't want to put it on her bed for fear of damage. Once I explained that it would be ok, it's been on her bed ever since!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 AM

Ditto.......DD has a quilt & pillows,wall hanging set I made 4 yrs ago.She chose the 2 colors, I chose the pattern.When we visited, I took a nap in the guest room & told my Grson to scoot up here with Grma. He said Mom said not to get on the good quilt.DD & I had a talk about it. The quilt is still there,but has been used. Bout time to make her a new quilt.Please let it be diff colors. LOL

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose
I make quilts for all my kids and grandkids, but never before discussing with them what pattern and colors they would like. Am in the process of collecting 24 different fabrics for my daughter's bargello. She didn't like any of the traditional patterns I showed her, but when she saw the bargello she was excited. Finally! I can't wait to get the remaining six fabrics and get started on it. I make all my quilts to be used and make sure the recipient knows they will stand up to washing/drying. Oldest granddaughter got one this past Christmas in Buckeyes colors and was thrilled, but didn't want to put it on her bed for fear of damage. Once I explained that it would be ok, it's been on her bed ever since!
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 AM

I've been really lucky so far. I've only given a couple of quilts away and they were loved. I have though, given my sister a couple of gifts that even though she thanked me I could tell by her face it wasn't her. After that I told her that if I ever give her anything she didn't like she was welcome to give it to her kids or grandkids and I was fine with that. She said it wasn't that she didn't like what I gave her it just wasn't her style. I was hesitant to make her a quilt but when I found a fabric that I thought she'd like I made a sample of it w/the cathedral window and took it home with me to show her what I was working on. She said now that I like; so guess what she's getting for Christmas. I know she appreciated what I had given her in the past and I know she would have kept them so I wanted to give her the option of getting rid of them to others in the family and having 3 kids and 12 grandkids it was easy to do.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:12 AM

I only read the first page of comments to this thread, but here are my thoughts:
First, yes, it's nice to know your labor of love is appreciated. But I don't do all that work just to get a thank you. The time spent working on a quilt is time loving the recipient. That love is unconditional. It doesn't depend on their thanks. And no matter what their reaction to the gift, I still had the incredible joy of making it. That's my reward.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:22 AM

When I gave my grand daughter (9) a quilt, she loved it and oohed and ahhed over it. Fun batiks, flip flop patterns. I backed it with lime Minky (sp?). I told her to enjoy it and use it.
When I was crawling (ugh) into the back of their GMC (side doors were locked) I had to step over a pile of "stuff" and there was the quilt!!! All rolled up, part of their equipment. But, you know what? I was happy it was being used and, after all, I HAD told her to enjoy it and use it however she wanted to!! I'm sure it was taken to football practices and swim practices and meets.
On the other hand, the quilts I made for my son and DIL's children are strategically showcased in their rooms. To each his own, I say. I'm glad to know they're being used HOWEVER, and each grandchild will eventually have a quilt from Grandma!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:08 AM

I made a wall hanging for my step-daughter and her husband about 5 years ago. I have never seen it since. I had their names on it so they can't gift it to someone else. I often wonder where it is but don't want to ask. Needless to say, they won't get another one.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:09 AM

One other thing to remember is that some people don't use things that they think are precious because they don't want to lose them or wear them out. My sister has a very pretty necklace and earrings made of small rubies that she never wears. Her son gave it to her years ago for a Christmas present. She thinks that it is too precious to wear.

Some people are the same way about the quilts we make. They love them so much they don't want to use them and wear them out.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:22 AM

When DH's Grmother died, we found stacks of Christmas gifts, including a red half slip she'd said she'd always wanted.All were in boxes....what a sad thing. After that,I got over any "too good to use" thoughts I'd ever had.

Originally Posted by KathyKat
One other thing to remember is that some people don't use things that they think are precious because they don't want to lose them or wear them out. My sister has a very pretty necklace and earrings made of small rubies that she never wears. Her son gave it to her years ago for a Christmas present. She thinks that it is too precious to wear.

Some people are the same way about the quilts we make. They love them so much they don't want to use them and wear them out.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Great advice. I was in the process of making my daughter a double sided quilt - one side Dresden Plate with hummingbirds embroidered in the middle, and the other side has embroidered hummingbirds, a few cardinals and calla lilies. She loved the second side and said she probably would never have the Dresden Plate showing. Also didn't care for the sashing color, so we went to the store and got a color she did like. Hence I am making two quilts, instead of one that's double-sided (LOL). Lesson learned, and now will ask my son what colors he wants and maybe pattern as well.