Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When is a stash TOO BIG?? >

When is a stash TOO BIG??

When is a stash TOO BIG??

Old 03-01-2011, 07:58 AM

we all have this problem to some degree..you are there when you start feeling anxious..like i am out of room..or i cant find anything...i have my share and what i have been doing is using my stash with the knowledge that i may have to go buy a backing ..or a border..and thats ok but i am using from my stash.....as far as your friend goes.once in a box..it is lost because you cant see it..if she is happy..so be it..happy sorting
Old 03-01-2011, 08:03 AM

After 45 years quilting, I still haven't got there yet!

No matter how much fabric I have in my stash, it seems I always need something, either the color isn't exactly right or the print is too busy. So I end up with another purchase to add.

I do try to whittle down fabrics, styles change, colors change, patterns change. I make scrappy quilts with the fabrics that I see are no longer in style.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:12 AM

Never!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 AM

I think it makes a big difference if you are sewing for fun or for a business. Of course, if it is a business you would have a lot more than say a hobbyist. Okay, I am a hobbyist but I sure do have a large stash. I seem to be a fabric collector. So.....no stash is too large unless there are complaints from the people below that their ceiling is caving in. ♥
Old 03-01-2011, 10:57 AM

i used to buy fabric because i liked the way it looked and now that i have a bookcase fullof fabric i'm looking for patterns. i'm also letting my subscriptions to quilting magazines lapse. if anyone lives on long island n.y. and wants them let me know..giving them away.
[email protected]
Old 03-01-2011, 12:14 PM

I think that it's a personal choice, I had to slow down when I couldn't walk into my sewing room. But every once in awhile I do find another spot for mor fabric.
Old 03-01-2011, 12:29 PM

Hi nana up north, I;m from Michigan too and just started quilting. I have 5 project going at once, maybe mine will look as beautiful as yours do.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 PM

If the fabric is fading, mildewed, or otherwise damaged from storage, the stash is too big.

Give some away.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:09 PM

Your friend sounds a lot like the friend I have been helping with her fabric. The last time we went out, she spent $300.00 on fabric !! MY friend has rubbermaid containers full of fabric. All size of containers, from very large to medium. Every month Wal mart comes out with a new quilt pattern. She gets the pattern, then buys only one yard of each fabric needed for the quilt. She says she doesn't want to make the whole quilt, just one block from the quilt. If she likes a fabric she buys at least one yard of it. At Wal mart they know her as the yard lady. When she buys vests or other patterns like it, she doesn't buy only one but two or three, sometimes more. I am now benifeting from her buying. I am getting some of her overstock. Lucky for me. I don't have enough room now to store what she has given me over the last two days.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:10 PM

NEVER !!!!!!!!!!