Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you buy fabric, how much do you consider to be "a lot"? >

When you buy fabric, how much do you consider to be "a lot"?

When you buy fabric, how much do you consider to be "a lot"?

Old 09-06-2017, 04:50 AM

If the fabric is good quality, something I like and what I will use, I will often buy what ever is on the bolt. One shop I went to had a bargain area of excellent quality fabric. $5 - 6 per yard. But, if you bought the all that was on the bolt, you got it for $3 a yard. Guess what I did? I still have some of the fabric but it has backed a number of donation quilts and will be on the back of my Farmer's Wife quilt, if I every get it finished. This was a rare find but "too much" is like others have said, "When I am buying just for the sake of buying." I have bought a whole bolt of 108" bleached muslin and also natural muslin because I like it and I use it. That is not "too much".
Old 09-06-2017, 05:44 AM

I went to Hancocks of Paducah a few years ago and went through the remnant bin. There were tons of Kaffe Fasset fabric and his group. I grabbed each one I could find and then went to the Kona scrap bin. When I was checking out, there were twins in front of me and they had spent about $500 for fabric. I spent $240 and to me that was a huge amount of money. The twins didn't think so at all, but I did come home with a large amount of very good fabric. I go to my favorite thrift store where they sell remnants and scraps in bags and have dropped $40 on a huge bag. My fabric runneth over.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:34 AM

I tend to weigh it by what I need versus what I want. I may "need" backing for a quilt I'm working on, but maybe I find a beautiful print that falls into the cart. A little bit of that is acceptable. However, if my cart runneth over with said optional nuggets, then I would consider that "a lot". I also take price into consideration, as well. I try to get the best for what I can afford.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

If I "need" the fabric then I gauge by amount of money spent. When I don't then it's by amount of fabric in the basket.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Right now anything I buy is too much because I am out of storage space.
Me too! Fabric diet anyone?
Old 09-07-2017, 11:37 PM

Good question.... I only get more that a yard if I am sure of the amount. For example, I'd get 5 yards for a background if I had a specific project in mind. Otherwise, I usually get half yards.