Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you find that perfect fabric >

When you find that perfect fabric

When you find that perfect fabric

Old 04-04-2015, 08:13 PM

why feel guilty. It cost almost 18 dollars in most other countries, even though we consider it pricey Our fabric is still cheaper than other countries. I don't have a problem spending if I like it especially if its something hard to find
Old 04-04-2015, 10:32 PM

Late last year I put myself on fabric buying moratorium. It worked well -- until earlier this year when I saw a fabric with daisies which I just had to have. I broke down and bought some of that fabric and will make a quilt that will remind me of spring time all the time! It is a "happy" print which makes me smile. No guilt here.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:40 AM

If it is the 'perfect' fabric--that means I would enjoy working with it. The money I pay for the 'perfect' fabric sometimes means I pay for the privilege of 'petting' the fabric. I have purchased fabric I fell in love with and I treat that special fabric like a favorite teddy bear and I could not bear to cut it!!! But I have sure gotten my money's worth enjoying it.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:42 AM

Absolutely. Don't feel guilty at all. The pleasure that will come from that fabric is so worth it. (Your pleasure when sewing it up and the pleasure the recipient will get from the quilt). Enjoy the process!
By the way, this was the right place to ask this. Non quilty people might not understand!
Old 04-05-2015, 06:25 AM

IMO, it is better to spend a bit more on fabric that is perfect for a project for someone special than to buy for your stash just because it was a bargain if you won't really use it.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:39 AM

Look at it this way: You probably would have "wasted" the money on something else (shoes you had to have that now hurt your feet, junk food you end up wearing around the waist, etc). You got the perfect finish fabric for the quilt and it will raise YOUR spirits as you work on the quilt. $28 ?? Think of it as cheap therapy!! Win win situation all the way around. lol
Old 04-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I bought 3 yds of fabric I love but just can't take the cutter to it. $36.00 worth of fabric. After the coupon. My goal is to cut into this fabric. I may have found the perfect pattern and that may help.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:26 AM
Power Poster

If he is worthy of the cost and time to make a quilt, then don't worry about it.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rebecca_S View Post
IMO, it is better to spend a bit more on fabric that is perfect for a project for someone special than to buy for your stash just because it was a bargain if you won't really use it.
I agree totally with this! Just finished going through my stash and filling 3 grocery bags full of "bargain" fabric I purchased for my stash over the years. In my experience, it's much better to pay a little more for exactly the right fabric for a specific quilt.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:48 AM

He is definitely worth the cost. He works two jobs so he can provide for DD and the kids. I am excited to get the fabric so I can finish his quilt. I just felt a twinge of guilt that I paid that much for 2 yards of fabric. I showed it to DD this morning and she is so excited for him to have it. He will love it, I am sure.