Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you find that perfect fabric >

When you find that perfect fabric

When you find that perfect fabric

Old 04-05-2015, 08:31 PM

I am working on a quilt make with FQ I collected on a trip to New Zealand almost 10 years ago. I decided to use the BQ pattern to use each of the FQ as a 12 inch square of the fabrics. I was searching for a tan background fabric and decided to search for fern fabric, the NZ symbol. Then in my search results I saw a tan fabric with New Zealand flora outlines in brown. I had to have that fabric. The shop was in New Zealand and I ordered the fabric for $23 per meter plus international shipping. If I had not bought the perfect fabric when I found it, I would have looked at it every day and wished I had. Sometimes you gotta just do it.

The blocks for my New Zealand quilt on my design board:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516013[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails new-zealand-blocks.jpg  
Old 04-05-2015, 08:39 PM
Power Poster

If I find a fabric that is perfect but too expensive, I try to figure out a way to use less of it in my quilt... like an accent or something.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I never think twice about buying something I can afford if I want it.
I wish we had a "like" button! I totally agree with this - not only as it relates to quilting - but in general
Old 04-06-2015, 05:23 AM
Power Poster

If it is good quality, I have paid near that much for fabric. If it is what you want, can the price be too much?
Old 04-06-2015, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

I really doubt that I have felt guilty about buying that special fabric that jumps out at me, as it often makes the most beautiful quilt/quilts. Cost becomes a factor depending on the balance in my checkbook, but spending a little more money on that perfect fabric and the quilt/quilts I make from it, makes it all worthwhile. Quilting is my passion, my way to keep relatively sane when times are tough and the joy I receive when I make that special quilt for a family member or friend, makes that quilt priceless to me. Planning and making quilts, sometimes just fondling my stash, makes me happy as well as the fact that quilting helps me focus during difficult times, and keeps my mind active so the grey cells do not fly out of my brain at an alarming rate. It's therapy, no two ways about it.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:15 AM

Skyangel, that quilt will be gorgeous when it is done!!! I can't wait to get my fabric to finish his quilt.

And I so agree with you, MargeD!! Sewing and quilting have definitely been therapeutic for me. When life gets me down, I can sew and quilt with my pretty fabrics and it takes my mind off problems, even if only for a little while. And in the long run, way cheaper than dr. bills or therapy would be.

Last edited by SherriB; 04-06-2015 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 11:24 AM

I understand how you feel the quilt I'm working on the fabric alone was 50 dollars in regard to how much it cost I really didn't care because she is family. Let alone the extra fabric I bought just to finish it. I have never paid that much for fabric and yes I felt guilty at first but like you said your SNL has been a good man to your DD. And this quilt is for my cousin she gets good grades and has had a lot of stomach issues on and off the last couple of years. I feel she has just worked so hard and deserves something wonderful like a quilt.
Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 AM

Ask yourself this one quesrtion! "Do I plan to be the richest woman in the graveyard?"If the answer is, "No," don't feel guilty about spending such a reasonable amount of money for something that makes you happy and will make someone you love happy! froggyintexas
Old 04-07-2015, 11:09 AM

I bought several pieces of fabric at the same time. What I paid overall was still a bargain as there was a beautiful blue houndstooth for $1.59 a yard and it was really good quality. BTW, I got all that was left on the bolt of the blue one. It was just my lucky day! Several pieces were much more expensive but what I wanted, still at 30 per cent off. Went into Hancock's for notions, wouldn't you know it? For a specialty fabric with a logo or licensed design, that was not out of line. More and more, I am seeing similar cloth at $16.99 a yard.