Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you find that perfect fabric >

When you find that perfect fabric

When you find that perfect fabric

Old 04-04-2015, 02:39 PM

Default When you find that perfect fabric

When you find that perfect fabric for a quilt, do you buy it without regards to cost?? If so, do you feel guilty for paying so much?

I am making my SIL a quilt and he loves Ford trucks and Mustangs. He had a Ford truck and my DGS loved it. He even named it Cheyenne. Something happened to his truck and he could not afford repair it. I found some fabric with Ford trucks, Ford Mustangs and Ford neon logo signs. I just needed one more print for his quilt. I found a blue (perfect shade!) of Ford logo with flames (also blue) on Ebay. It was $11.99 a yard and plus shipping. I bought the two yards available and the total was almost $28. I have never paid that much for two yards of fabric!!! Part of me feels guilty (a tiny part) for paying so much but the other part is thrilled to have found the fabric.

My SIL is DD's second husband. He is such a wonderful husband to DD and awesome step-daddy to the grandkids. So that is my reasoning for paying so much. I want to make him something special. I will also be making him a matching pillowcase.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:45 PM
Power Poster

If it is worth it to you ( and it sounds like it is) then there is no reason to feel guilty. If you are spending money that should be going toward bills or groceries any amount is too much, if you can afford the purchase and it is exactly what you needed/wanted then it is fine. I do look for deals when possible, but if I need something in particular I pay the price necessary to get what I need - without guilt
Old 04-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
If it is worth it to you ( and it sounds like it is) then there is no reason to feel guilty. If you are spending money that should be going toward bills or groceries any amount is too much, if you can afford the purchase and it is exactly what you needed/wanted then it is fine. I do look for deals when possible, but if I need something in particular I pay the price necessary to get what I need - without guilt
Well said!
Old 04-04-2015, 03:43 PM

Sometimes something is just right and you know it will make someone happy. I've done it many times. If you need more, Over the Rainbow has some Ford truck and Mustang fabric. They decent pricing and quick shipping. Excellent customer service too. One of my favorite shops.

http://www.overrainbow.com/cgi-bin/Store/store.cgi
Old 04-04-2015, 04:04 PM

Because we (Canadians) have been paying far more than that per meter for years, I don't think that's out of line. As to the question...is there a limit to what I would pay?..... if it's the perfect fabric for someone I love and respect and I have the resources to purchase it, no hesitation.
Old 04-04-2015, 04:07 PM

It wouldn't bother me. You really only paid about $1 to $1.50 over the standard LQS pricing
Old 04-04-2015, 04:08 PM

You love your son in law. That is all the reason you need to purchase the fabric for a quilt that will delight him!
Old 04-04-2015, 04:28 PM

I wouldn't give it a second thought! If it is the PERFECT fabric, it is PRICELESS!!!!!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:12 PM
Power Poster

I never think twice about buying something I can afford if I want it.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:58 PM

At the end of the year, you wont have missed the few dollars extra you paid. But he will certainly remember the quilt you made for him, and you'll be glad you found that fabric.