Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt >

When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt

When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt

Old 06-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Try not to fret too much and be glad that it's one you planned to give away to begin with. Someone else will no doubt think it's fabulous.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

I wonder how many relationships would have been saved with some of the advice given to people that don't care about the quilts that they are working on or have just finished?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:25 AM

I have made some that I didn't like. I gave them away... I still feel a little bad about one. I just wish it would have been better. But the girl I gave it to can do with it what she wants. I consider them "learning" quilts... because every quilt I make I feel like I do learn a little something... but I know what other mean about the $$
Old 06-28-2014, 10:45 AM

For some reason, this reply made me teary . "Squeals of delight" and "mommies to their dolls" are the exact reasons that motivate me, though I will never hear those squeals. Thanks for putting it that way.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:49 AM

I only have a golden retriever and he would chew it up like he does the three cast off pillows I tried putting in his crate to make sleeping more comfy. Finally found the solution -- the gel mat that was at the kitchen sink when it got old and tired looking .
Old 06-28-2014, 10:51 AM

Learning quilt it is. I learned I really can't FMQ with a walkung foot--and I don't gave a darning foot. Oh well.
Old 06-28-2014, 10:55 AM

It was mostly a a waste of time and a little batting. The fabric scraps cost maybe cost 3 bucks if that. I am going to set it aside. It already looks one or two percent better to me.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:59 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Have you finished, finished it....as in it's all bound, and washed, too.....or have you just finished the quilting?

If you're just through with the quilting but not binding, I urge you to take it all the way to "really done" before rejecting your "baby." From vast experience, I'll bet you will have a vastly different opinion of it when it's "really done".

Be sure to share the "really done" photos with us for even more encouragement.

Jan in VA
Old 06-28-2014, 01:40 PM

I quickly give mine away. Then it is forgotten. I even give the scraps away some of the time.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:15 PM

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and this is even more true of our quilts.
When I was first learning to quilt, I didn't know about using different scales of prints or fabric value or anything... and I used three different colorways of the same print in a baby quilt that was meant to be a gift for our friends' new baby. When I finished, there was so much yellow that the pink and blue pretty much disappeared. I was SO disappointed, because what I saw was a yellow quilt. But what the new parents saw was a beautiful, handmade gift.
And when my sister started quilting, she was using a jelly roll of the Breast Cancer Awareness fabrics. By the time she finished, she hated the thing, and kept calling it the "Pepto Bismol quilt". I LA'd it for her, and sent it back to her (I'm in SC, she's in KY). She still was not thrilled with it, but the church group that was "hosting" the charity this was for LOVED it!!
So, as I said, and as others have said, SOMEBODY will love it. Finish it up, and pass it along to someone who will be thrilled with such a beautiful quilt.