Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt >

When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt

When You Just Really Don't Like Your Quilt

Old 06-28-2014, 08:30 PM

It is bound, and I just need to wash it. I think I just am tired of it. It's not horrible, just wish that every single scrap was one I really liked, not just wanted to incorporate because it was on hand and the right color.

I'm bad about posting pictures. Let's see if I can make this happen after the darn thing is washed!
Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Have you finished, finished it....as in it's all bound, and washed, too.....or have you just finished the quilting?

If you're just through with the quilting but not binding, I urge you to take it all the way to "really done" before rejecting your "baby." From vast experience, I'll bet you will have a vastly different opinion of it when it's "really done".

Be sure to share the "really done" photos with us for even more encouragement.

It is bound, and I just need to wash it. I think I just am tired of it. It's not horrible, just wish that every single scrap was one I really liked, not just wanted to incorporate because it was on hand and the right color.

I'm bad about posting pictures. Let's see if I can make this happen after the darn thing is washed!

Jan in VA
Old 06-29-2014, 04:09 AM

Donate it as planned. Someone will love it!
Old 06-29-2014, 04:18 AM
Power Poster

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:27 AM

I recently bought fabric that I really loved. Unfortunately, I chose a pattern based on level of difficulty (easy!) rather than whether it was a pattern that would showcase the fabric. When I got the blocks sewed together I found that I did not like them at all. After I got over kicking myself for choosing that pattern, I decided I will finish it and it will be my quilt for practicing FMQing. I think because I don't like it all that much, it will free my mind to just go for it and not worry that my quilting won't be perfect. I'm considering this to be a happy accident.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:26 AM

I've done that too. It was something requested by a family member so I made it, but I didn't like it from beginning to the end. Right now I have a mug rug to bind that a family member picked the fabrics for during a recent visit. I was delighted that she was interested and she traced and cut the pieces herself. But, it is the ugliest thing and I can't figure out how to make it better without hinting that it is just not a good project. Ah well if that is the worst thing I have to face I'm a very lucky person indeed.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Kimarene View Post
.... When I got the blocks sewed together I found that I did not like them at all. After I got over kicking myself for choosing that pattern, I decided I will finish it and it will be my quilt for practicing FMQing. I think because I don't like it all that much, it will free my mind to just go for it and not worry that my quilting won't be perfect. I'm considering this to be a happy accident.
I'm doing about the same thing but with scraps that I wanted to use. My husband helped with designing something that could end up ok ... I still do not like it that much but he thinks it looks good so I guess some one likes it. I am taking it as a practice quilt for FMQ and I can always use it either in the car or give it to him for his own use or to somebody else. In the meantime I am hoping to get better at FMQ and I have used some leftover fabrics loll
Old 06-29-2014, 06:01 AM

I have a quilt top I'm really not happy with right now, too. Workmanship is fine, it's the color I picked to go with a layer cake that's the problem. I've put it up for awhile, I'm hoping that by the time I have a chance to get back around to finishing it, it'll look better to me.
Old 06-29-2014, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

sometimes its like that dont get discouraged learn and more on!
Old 06-29-2014, 07:20 AM

I can so relate to this. Last year I made a scrappy top in soft shades of yellow, green, blue and red. In my mind, I pictured it to have a shabby chic look. HATED it when it was done. Everyone I showed, had a lukewarm response at best. The thought of spending anymore time, effort or money on it, I wanted no part of. So it hung pressed in the closet but I would take it out from time to time, wanting to like it and thinking what a terrible waste of time and fabric. Each time I looked at it, I wondered how I could have gone so very wrong with it because if nothing else, I'm fairly color confident in my choices. Not too many months ago, I sent the picture again to my quilting guru (JenniePenny) and asked if it was worth salvaging. She definitely said yes and told me what was fine with it and what stunk. One Sunday afternoon I did the unthinkable, and ripped it apart and repurposed them into. I now have repurposed them into two lovely lap quilts. I will post pics of the before and after I finish hand quilting. Maybe this is how some quilts/tops end up at Good Will. The quilter was just so disappointed that they wanted nothing more to do with it but couldn't bring themself to pitch it into the landfill.
Old 06-29-2014, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I give it away to charity.