Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you travel do you go to quilt shops? >

When you travel do you go to quilt shops?

Old 04-08-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
Sometimes I travel just to go to quilt shops. :-P
Old 04-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Only if my DHs in a good mood or I can lose him somewhere.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:31 PM

Not always, but I try! Sometimes by accident because we don't always know exactly where we're going. LOL DH is content to stay in the car and read a newspaper or he'll come in too. We've looked at plenty of old tractors and machinery too. In fact in Sept we're going to the U.P. of Michigan for an antique tractor parade across the bridge. We support each other's hobbies. They make us happy.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:37 PM

Why of course!!! 2 years ago I found some lovely leaf patterned batiks that were made special for VT. for their previous year's shop hop. They are lovely!! It is very difficult to know there are quilt shops in the area and not checking them out....merely impossible actually LOL.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:46 PM
Power Poster

I don't travel much, but I am going to the quilt museum in Lincoln this year. I can't wait.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:00 PM

My dh knows how much I enjoy going to new quilt shops and he will sometimes research what shops are on the way to wherever we are going and make stops for me to shop. He spoils me, really.

When we go to QBL in the summer we usually hit a few shops, too, as well as the vendors at the market they set up. I've got to get some stuff finished up so I can rationalize more buying on our trip! :lol: :thumbup:
Old 04-08-2010, 10:00 PM

Finding new shops is one of the best parts of travel. In the internet age we might forget another source of info --- the good old local yellow pages. First thing I check when I get to my hotel.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:54 AM

My DH and I even scoped out the quilt and fabric shops when we went on our 16 day Alaskan cruise. Checked every stop we made. Only found two and they didn't have very much fabric of any kind. Too expensive to ship up there.

On our cruise to Hawaii, I really lucked out. Went to several quilt shops but they were just like here in FL. Most were in malls and big shopping centers.

We went to the flea market which is huge. They hold it in the football parking lot. There are so many places that make Hawaiian clothes and they have no outlet for their scraps and end of bolts. They cut the leftovers into 4,5 and 6" squares and sell them by the stack. there may be 50 to 60 pieces for $3.50 to $5. I bought plenty and made my first (didn't know it then) scrappy quilt.

I looked for shops on every Island we visited but only found two. Both made custom Hawaiian dresses for Islanders and tourists. Most of the seamstresses sewed on featherweights. My best buy for Hawaiian fabric was in the Singer store in a huge mall. $5.95 a yard and beautiful fabric. A lot of it came from the Philippines and other eastern areas. I filled a whole suitcase to bring home.
Old 04-09-2010, 02:56 AM

Yes, I'm in Virginia Beach on vacation right now and plan on checking out 3 while I am here this weekend!!!
Old 04-09-2010, 03:03 AM

Absolutely. My husband knows that is a requirement. I have found some lovely ones.