Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you travel do you go to quilt shops? >

When you travel do you go to quilt shops?

When you travel do you go to quilt shops?

Old 04-09-2010, 03:11 AM

It's not a trip if you dont do quilt shops along the way... :) :-) :D :lol: 8-)
Old 04-09-2010, 03:30 AM

Absolutely! Hubby spends the day on the golf course and I do the quilt shop hop! At the end of the day, everyone is happy.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:50 AM

The highlight of a trip to Ga.'s coast, St.Simon's Island, was a visit to the local quilt shop. My intent was to buy a few fat quarters, but ended up with enough for a huge hanging. I never understood the pull of the shore till I actually stood on the beach of Jeckyll, now I get it! Still love my mountains but the heart yearns for another visit to the Brunswick area.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:50 AM

Quilt fabric here in Australia ranges between $22 and $34 per metre. Unless you are in the Capital cities, quilt stores can be 100 km apart at least- and not always on the route you are taking. Making 100km detours to visit a quilt shop is NOT an option.

I met a woman from Australia about a year ago in a quilt shop in Urbana, Illinois. She said that fabric here is so much cheaper than fabric in Australia. Her friend that she was here visiting is letting her leave her clothing here and when she travels home her cases will be filled only with fabric. Next year when she comes back she's bringing empty(her clothes are already here) collapsible suitcases in a carry-on so that she can fill them with fabric. I thought it was an excellent idea.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:59 AM

Absolutely......LOL I am goiung to a wedding in TX nxt week and I have already mapped out 4 quilt shops in the area.....you never know what treasure you will find.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:39 AM

Since we don't have a quilt shop where we live we always try and find one where we go. Sometimes my hubby takes his book so I can take my time. He even looks up some of the addresses etc. Sometimes they aren't easy to find! We have an up coming trip to Southern Florida, so I'm saving my pennies.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:59 AM

You betcha I do, as OFTEN as possible !!
I've come across some of the best shops EVER on our travels ... sometimes I just spend a little, sometimes more - but it's just neat to see the different shops and all their "personalities". I used to travel for business and visit shops whenever I could squeeze one in ...
DH knows it's a must for me, like his visits to the local tackle shop or fishing spots - I check those out with him (I like to fish too) ... and we've often gotten the BEST tips for local food & sightseeing from our little stops along the way :)
Old 04-09-2010, 06:12 AM

I don't travel much anymore, but when I go to Lake Eufuala to my cabin I HAVE to go to town to the Fabric Outlet. They have converted to a real quilt shop so their prices aren't as good but they do have a nice selection of fabrics. I wish I had been quilting when I was traveling to other countries. Think of the things I missed1
Old 04-09-2010, 06:16 AM

I was a travel nurse for 9 years and every new place I was assigned across the country, I always looked up all the quilt shops.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
Don't your hubbies figit and complain when you explore quilt/fabric shops?
Mine helps me. He has a great eye for picking just the right colors and patterns. We are going on a 3 week trip with friends this summer and they even help watch for quilt shops for me to browse. :-D