Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When you travel do you go to quilt shops? >

When you travel do you go to quilt shops?

When you travel do you go to quilt shops?

Old 04-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Maybe we are all married to the 'best' man! I have been married to my version for over 40 years. Whenever we travel he always finds room in the car for my fabric addiction and then proceeds to remind me that I have to declare 'everything' at the US/Canadian border. At home he challenges me with his version of quilting patterns and he buys me Bernina sewing machines for Christmas. He only complains mildly when I spend a LOT of money on fabric (I don't work any more therefore I am dependent!). He admires my work at every stage and he photocopies my patterns and enlarges/reduces them on the photocopier at work (sh... don't tell anyone). Oh what the ...., I could go on and on. We all know what these guys are like.. TREASURES.
Old 04-09-2010, 06:27 PM

absolutely. I have even compiled a book of quilt shops with names, addresses, phone numbers and directions so my Mom and I can go again and again.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Make sure you hit M&L at Ball and Knott in Anahiem (Anaheim, never had to spell it before). A supermarket of material, flat folds and bolts.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:00 AM

Yes, I do---especially when I go to Callif. Some of the smaller towns around Dayton have some good shops too. So, I am always looking.
Old 04-10-2010, 04:50 AM

I'm a travel agent and I look for quilt shops every time I go. Alaska has some great shops.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:03 AM

Definitly yes, a few years ago we left N.H. in our RV and drove across the countrey to Yuma, Arizona, stayed there a month then headed out for Fl. along the southern states. Every day when we stopped for the night my husband found a city map and the next morning he drove right to that city's quiltshop.
Don't know how he can find theses streets but he's very good at it, anyway, I went to every quilt shop I could.
I have to admit that when we left Fl. to head back to N.H. I was "quilt shopped out " LOL. Also, after staying in Fl. for 6 weeks I had forgotten exactly which fabrics I had already bought so I did end up with a few doubles.
Every quilt shop has something different and it's so much fun.
Do go to as many as you can.
Happy traveling, kutnso/Mona
Old 04-10-2010, 05:46 AM

just returned from vacation to fl. to visit family,& onthe way stopped in paducah ky.at national quilt museum. AWSOME!!!!!!the most impressive [to me]were the appliqued quilt that took 9 [yes 9!]years to complete by hand ,& a wooden one made by a man that i thought was cloth til i read the artical !!!even bf was impressed !took me to a qs but i didn't buy any fabric.....i boughta sewing machine ! had a GREAT time.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:27 AM

My poor husband has been to more quilt shops! When we take a road trip I have a map of all the quilt shops on the route and we hit all of them!! So much fun and he enjoys it too (even if he won't admit it!)
Old 04-10-2010, 06:47 AM

This makes the boring part of the trip more of an adventure! Dh has been very supportive so far! :) On our last trip I was disappointed because none of the shops I googled were open or easily accessible from our route - but out in the middle of nowhere there was suddenly a little white house with a "quilt shop" sign out front. Dh was happy to turn around to go back to it - and sit in the car while I had fun.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:00 AM

just returned from vacation to fl. to visit family,& onthe way stopped in paducah ky.at national quilt museum. AWSOME!!!!!!the most impressive [to me]were the appliqued quilt that took 9 [yes 9!]years to complete by hand ,& a wooden one made by a man that i thought was cloth til i read the artical !!!even bf was impressed !took me to a qs but i didn't buy any fabric.....i boughta sewing machine ! had a GREAT time.
Yes! Aren't the wooden ones just amazing? DH and I were there and saw them in July of last year. Of course they wouldn't keep you very warm :lol: One of the carved ones even had a forgotten needle of pin carved into it! Was the one still there that was all embellished with something like 40,000 crystals on the back?
Glad you were able to make it to Paducah, I think it was great.

Oh, congrats on the new machine, what did you get?