Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy fabric?

I've bought online with good success from the following:

www.fabric.com (free return shipping; they won't say if their products are "first" quality or not)
    www.hancocksofpaducah.com (pricey, but a huge selection that you can keep in cart for a long time)
    www.hawthornethreads.com (more contemporary and lg scale prints than most; a favorite=color grid)
    www.fabricshack.com (they include a free gift)
    www.overtherainbow.com (nice emails and service)

I've found quiltshops.com to be very useful for locating specific fabrics from a collection, as I have found oftentimes that no one shop carries all prints or color schemes of a collection.

another one is www.quilthome.com ("angels" fill the order with special care)

I have purchased from www.fabric.com , www.connectingthreads.com, www.bearpawquilting.com and have always been happy. I have found some nice fabrics at nice prices on ebay also. And of course there are lots of bargains here on the QB. Not much in the way of quilt stores around here so I shop at Hobby Lobby, Joann's and Hancocks - but the stores are quite a distance and lots of times it is cheaper to pay shipping rather than buy gasoline.

Fabric.com..quite a few times I am waiting for them to get their 90 inch flannel back in. .
    I have ordered from Favorite Fabrics a couple of times when she had fabric I couldn't get anywhere else. And I had a question and it was answered almost immediately prices were good but be aware that even just to look you have to sign in.
    Marshall Dry Goods is another I have ordered from,wide backing best prices around ..
    Thousand of Bolts...
    I go to the Joanns here to get thread when its 50% off not buying too much fabric there anymore.
    I do go to Fabric Hut. Its like the fabric stores use to be.
    The Walmart just got fabric back in but all I have had a chance to get there is a couple yards of fusible batting..

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie Spencer View Post
    I support my LQS. I like the quality of their fabric. Im not the fabric police, or a fabric snob, I just know what I like. I order on line all the time, too.
    This post says most of what I feel. There are four good quilt shops within a half hour drive from me, one only a mile away, and I try to frequent all of them. I watch for sales, and appreciate their good service and help with questions. Recently bought some cheap fabric at WalMart for an upcoming guild class, but even after washing it, some just doesn't feel nice to me. If I like the technique I learn, I'll save up for the good fabric to make it again. Sad that prices are so high these days, but I know the shop owners are NOT getting rich on it. Just good small business people, and I hope to keep them going! JoAnn's is 40 miles away, and mostly get batting, notions, etc. when I get there.

Blog Entries
    I shop at quilt stores, buy some there, but prices are an issue, I buy at Hancock, Joann on sale and online at Connecting Threads and wherever site I find a fabric I need. I also hunt on Ebay for fabric - only buy the manufacturer's and fabric lines that I know - right now I have way too much on hand so I try not to buy (oh my - it is worse than stopping smoking), I frequent thrift stores, but now I buy there only if the fabric calls out to me. Never have found fabric at yard sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by nanaloves2quilt View Post
    I would love to know where everyone buys their fabric? If you buy online, please give the link.

I buy mine from Walmart and the local fabric shop in town. I have also bought from Joanns.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

I agree with davis2se! The Fabshophop has showed me many great shops as well as our LQS I frequent. It does help to know your fabric lines before you order...haven't been disappointed yet! Usually if you call an online quilt shop with a question their helpfulness is superb!

I go to Hobby Lobby for Kona solids and sometimes they just have the cutest prints, and one LQS that is almost exclusively Moda fabrics. The vast majority of what I buy is online.
    www.fatquartershop.com is my favorite.
    www.hancocksofpaducah.com - I just ordered for the first time recently. Probably won't again. A full 7 days between ordering and shipping is unacceptable to me.
    www.fabricworm.com - They create their own coordinating FQ bundles by mixing and matching different designers and collections. It's a great idea and I have loved their selection and service.
    www.connectingthreads.com - Don't love their fabric, but will be ordering thread from them soon.
    www.fabricseeds.com has just about the cheapest pre-cut prices around and incredibly fast shipping.

Whittlesfabrics.com has a nice selection and really nice prices!

I shop at my LQS, JoAnn's or Hancock, occasionally, Walmart (surprisingly ours has a good selection), and Fabric Hut in Norfolk, VA. Online I've purchased from Rushin' Tailor Quilt Alaska (rushintailor.com) they have gorgeous fabrics I haven't seen anywhere else & prices are good, and at Fabric.com.
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    I usually have the fabric line I want and put it in the search engine and then go to the online stores that carry it and buy it from the stores that carry the most. I also buy from www.shabbyfabrics.com or www.fatquarters.com. Sometimes I buy from thousands of bolts but not too often. I buy from my LQSs all the time also.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I buy online a lot. I stick with fabric from major manufacturers; i.e., Moda, RJR, etc., and have had excellent luck. I use Missouri Quilt Company, and several others that I don't remember at the moment. Quiltbug.com has good stuff. And Keepsake Quilting.

Anita in Northfield, MN

On line I buy at fabric.com, quilthome.com and hawthornethreads.com. From placing the order and delivery all are fast, efficent and haven't had any hassles yet. Quilthome even includes a handwritten thank you that makes it all the more special!

Junior Member QuiltingrandmafromMi's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My favorite online stores are Connecting Threads and Fabric.com, Have always had good results from both places! And some really good bargains!

For on-line shopping I use Thousandofbolts.com and Whittles.com - their fabric is really quality and very reasonable in price. I usually have my order in a week.

Ericas on line shopping site is very good with good products, reliability & fast service.

Mostly my LQS because that's all we have here. When I venture out of town, Walmart, Joanns, Hobby Lobby, Hancocks, and have ordered from people here on the board.
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I shop the LQS, JoAnn's Hancocks, Walmarts--on line I've done business with Jinny Beyer (the colors on the computer screen were exactly what I expected); and just sent in an order from eQuilters--will let you know how that goes.

Marden's in Maine. They have great fabric and a lot of it.

I buy at LQS, JoAnn's and WalMart (rarely). I buy online from Missouri Star Quilt Co. because I have been in that quilt shop and I know they have quality fabric and Quilt-in-a-Day because the quality is always good.

Norma

my all-time favorite on-line sites, in no particular order are:

stitch-n-frame.net She has a Thursday special each week and you can sign on for her reminder. Great prices, great service. I've shopped from Kay for years and years now.

hancocksofpaducah.com Ditto as above--been using them for years. They are more expensive now than before but have great sales and decent service.

equilter.com Though her prices are higher than most other sites, she has an absolutely unbelievable and extensive collection of fabrics with good service.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
    I shop at my LQS, JoAnn's or Hancock, occasionally, Walmart (surprisingly ours has a good selection), and Fabric Hut in Norfolk, VA. Online I've purchased from Rushin' Tailor Quilt Alaska (rushintailor.com) they have gorgeous fabrics I haven't seen anywhere else & prices are good, and at Fabric.com.
    I forgot about Rushin' Tailor -- I stopped there on a cruise and loved the fabric. They have some cool sale fabric for under $5.

I have also bought a bunch of fabric from equilter.com
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I use connectingthreads.com. Keepsakequilting.com and also ChristaQuilts.com. Mostly I use my local shops. I really try to support my local shops when I can.
    Mtn Mama

Blog Entries
    I've used Thousands of Bolts, Connecting Threads and Marshalls Dry Goods and have never been disappointed. One of my newer favorite places to shop is www.fabricshack.com. They have half price shipping all the time, even internationally!!
    Sue

Blog Entries
    I have gotten some fantastic deals at estate sales. Worth your time to check them out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast