Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you put your UFOs? >

Where do you put your UFOs?

Where do you put your UFOs?

Old 04-28-2012, 10:14 AM

Gosh I have boxes of unfinished projects and working on one now. Some of the boxed and in a closet that is not used. I really am trying to finish them but it will take ages and something new always seems to be on my list to do. Have to make a dent in that stash of unfinished projects. Now I'm working on scrap quilts...to big a fabric stash.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:19 AM

Yep I use zip lock bags and pizza boxes for extra pieces , finished squares ECt.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:25 AM

I try not to have any UFO's. Right now, I have one in a zip lock bag with all the pieces and the pattern together next to the machine haunting me! Should put it someplace else. Good luck.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:31 AM
QM
Power Poster

I have only just begun to organize these things. Currently I have 2 drawers of UFOs. In organizing from our move last summer, I am trying to get all the parts of each one into 1 or 2 gallon baggies. I found that I had 4 UFOs begun for my DGD, not that she has any shortage of finished quilts.

It is probably simpler for me as I almost nveer have pattern and diredtions to put with the UFO.

Last edited by QM; 04-28-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 AM

I only have one UFO, at present. It's a quilt top (simple purple solid and print pink squares - for granddaughter), which I couldn't decide how to finish. It's basted to a blanket backing (to make it lightweight, easier to wash) but am about to take it loose and maybe use a thin batting . . . and am undecided whether or not to keep the blanket backing (or go for fabric, instead). Have also decided to applique some hearts, in the solid squares (recently found the coordinating fabric). Seems the longer I wait to finish something, the more I want to change/add things. Anyway, I have no organization for UFOs, so it's just sitting out, where I'll be reminded to finish it.

Am hoping to work on that, once I finish a dog bed, I'm making for a friend. For some unexplained reason, I decided it needed a giant quilt block, on the top.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:23 AM
Power Poster

I think icon17 has the right idea. I would take it a step further and make a copy of the pattern (just a pic of the quilt) and start a notebook or folder to file them. You can also add notes for items or fabric that's still needed.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:24 PM

I have a shelf in the walk in closet of the master bedroom that runs the length of the wall (about 10 to 12 feet). When I get tired (it does happen) of piecing and sewing, I cut, label and place the pieces in zip lock bags, put in a plastic tote or storage tub found at Dollar General. I include a copy of the pattern as well as the front cover of the pattern book or magazine that it was in and mark the outside of the tub with the name of the quilt pattern and the name of the person it is going to (if it's meant for a gift). When a quilters retreat comes up, I can grab a couple of these "project" containers and I'm ready to go. I keep my fabric stash under large containers under every bed in the house and still overflow into closets, cabinets and anywhere there's space.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:43 PM

I never do this. I always seem to finish piecing whatever it is that I'm working on before I move on to something else. Where I have a back log is when the finished pieced tops go into the next room where the long arm is. I'm not comfortable with my long arm yet, even though it's been over two years, and I procrastinate forever over quilting them. I currently have 8 quilts waiting to be quilted. I stack them in an old cabinet that has glass doors. That way they are always looking out at me to remind me that they are still waiting. Poor things.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Power Poster

I use clear plastic boxes from Walmart that stack really well. It helps me keep the pattern or magazine with the other materials for the project. I also use a black Sharpie on a 3x5 notecard to write the name of the project, and I tape this to the inside of the box so I can read it when the boxes are stacked. This system really helps me find things quickly.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I just completely cut out a quilt and decided (again) that I don't want to go any further with it right now. I want to start another project. Where do you put your UFOs? I can't find half of mine. I need to figure out a system. I found a couple of them that didn't have the patterns with them (crap). I need advice!
I have a stack of Art Bins and the cubes to store them in. I have two of the double deep ones, two of the skinny ones and 10 of the regular ones. I keep things that are still in progress in them. UFOs that are ready to be layered and quilted go in a dresser drawer.