Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you sew/quilt? >

Where do you sew/quilt?

Where do you sew/quilt?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:33 PM

Hi I sew at the dining room table. I have to set up and pack away each time I sew. sometimes it really bothers me - but I like being with my partner rather than in a room on my own.
All my fabrics are in the attic, my partner designed and built some shelves for me. He also made sure I could get in and out of the attic really easily. I think so I didn't have to keep bothering him.

I would like everything in one place and a sewing room - but no doubt that will come one day. i am, told that the kids will leave the home one day - but making the most of them wehilst they are here.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:35 PM

Our house has an apartment on the lower level that was for my mother and step-dad. He's passed away three years now, and my mother lives with my sister. Their bedroom is now a guest room/my sewing room. I love it. When the family comes over not one of the kids gets into any of my stuff. They only use the tables as desks. So far so good! I have two inexpensive foldaway tables I got from Costco. They are at right angles. I think if the tables were heavier, though, I wouldn't feel vibration when I sew.
I keep the ironing board out, but when family is here I put it away.
Happy sewing!
A.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 PM

Ironing board is in kitchen, cut on kitchen counter, sew in living room, design wall is in bedroom. I get my exercise going back and forth. Have books by the sofa and sewing rocker, And really "stuff" all over the house. Hubby says we live here and if someone comes and doesn't like seeing your sewing stuff, they can go home. Gotta love that man!!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:40 PM

I have a 2nd bedroom (larger then 3rd bedroom) that I use for my sewing room. But can't wait till we look at plan for our new house, because for a change, my DH has picked out the room for my sewing/quilting. and it's 3x"s bigger then I have now. Hopefully by the beginning of the new year.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Unfortunately, although older DD has lived out of state for over 4 yrs., DH didn't want to make her room my craft room. Instead, we put a pull out sofa, tv and his video games in there. As a result, I'm still in the same place I've always been - in the family room. Yup, it's often a mess, and I'm sure that people who don't do crafty stuff just think I don't do as much to pick up as I should. I'm glad to have someplace to do what I like, and if they don't like it or understand it - oh well!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:12 PM

I would be in trouble!!! I couldn't put my stash under less than25 beds!!!
Old 08-18-2011, 03:35 PM

I have my machine,tools, thread, cutting table & most of my stash in our Florida Room, which has heat & air. I my office I have some stash in a cabinet.. I am being overloaded with magazines. As soon as I can get motivated, I will sell a lot of magazines. I also have to share my FL room when there is company, which means have to tidy up.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:57 PM

I don't have a sewing room either. We just don't have an extra room available. I sew in the dining room on a 4x8 table that folds up when not being used. I keep my stash in my bedroom in three 3-drawer plastic units that I purchased from Walmart. My DD bless her, doesn't object to my "mess" unless we are having company and then we put it all away.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:18 PM

My DH built me a room inside our shop. It's completely inclosed, with an air conditioner and just the right size for everything I need, large cutting table, room for all my machines, large ironing board, shelves for bins. It is 11x17 and I also have Direct TV hookup. When we are in RV I take basic tools and a particular project to work on.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:22 PM

I sew in our partially finished small basement - it's not the greatest and my space is small but we don't have any extra space upstairs. Those who have a regular sewing room are indeed blessed and more so if you have windows!