Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where do you sew/quilt? >

Where do you sew/quilt?

Where do you sew/quilt?

Old 08-17-2011, 12:12 PM

I have my sewing room, computer room. Use to be formal living room, which was never used for that. Closed up the opening and put in a door. Very convenient. Love it. Got it stuffed full right now. But keep it organized so it's not a mess. I wouldn't mind having anyone come in my sewing room. Got to get off here now and do some piecing.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:13 PM

I use the dining room table for sewing. Have my own TV and my husband watches his sports in the big room. We are close enough we can communicate and both get to do what we enjoy. I have taken one bedroom and have all my material and notions stored in it. Have been thinking about opening up the garage and making it into a quilting room and turning the bedroom back into a bedroom. That way I could leave my ironing board up at all times.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:15 PM

I now live alone in a 1 bedroom....I have 2 sewing machines set up on the main eating table, which I never use; I have a 6'x 8' sun room, which really used to be the back porch; my sun room has storage shelves, baskets and totes for my stuff; plus I bought a 4 shelf unit at Big Lots to store most of my stash. Also in that same area is an old desk top that I use for cutting....the ironing board is also in that room. Sounds spacious, but it is nicely compact. I like to sew in the living area where I can see tv, and check on whatever I'm cooking that day....

Thinking about pulling the "dining room" table out from the wall so the top will be more usable and sew on the desk top in the sun room....

When I was married and had 3 kids at home and did a lot of clothes/costume/drapery sewing I did have a real sewing room with a closet for storage and shelves, ironing board, track lights...down side was that it was across the house from the kitchen and the laundry room; not to mention I would have to get up and go out on patio to check on kids in pool......

We do what we have to do for our crafts, passions and sanity !

In hindsight having 3 kids at home and hectic life style is preferably to be alone,and sometimes lonely. Not whining, but stating the facts, mam !
Old 08-17-2011, 01:53 PM

My sewing area is in a loft upstairs. I have 2 machines set up there, storage & cutting areas. I have the bulk of my stash in the adjoining spare bedroom where the ironing board is also set up. I have skylights which are great during the day & nice track fixtures for sewing after dark. The loft is open to the downstairs so I can hear what's going on & don't feel isolated up there (although that wouldn't be so bad sometimes!). This is my 1st dedicated sewing area I've had since my kids were born (24 & 20)and I LOVE it!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:45 PM

I am in my family room. It also houses the computers so I am here with my husband in the evenings. He reading the news or playing a game while I sew. When the kids visit, the bring their computers into the room and we are all in here together.
Fortunately we also have a living room so I leave my sewing supplies and stuff always at the ready!!
Old 08-17-2011, 02:49 PM
Power Poster

I sort of share the computer room with hubs, but I don't like sewing while he is in there - I don't know why, we face back to back and he never comments. And while he is at work, I don't sew. So I drag my stuff to different parts of the house. None of my stuff is in the same place - some here, some there. Very frustrating. I keep the guest room because we have company just often enough. I don't want to set up in there because I would have to take it all down when company comes. Still debating about converting the dining room, but then, when we use it, we like it.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:09 PM

I have a bedroom, it used to be the guest room. Didn't have any guest so I took it over and the guest, if any come, can sleep on the sofa bed in the living room. I have the closet with shelves, cabinets for fabric storage, a 6' table I use for cutting, and my sewing machine cabinet is always open. Hubby watches tv in the living room, and I can see it from my cutting table. I can't stand and cut, so we have laminate flooring in there and I roll my chair back and forth between the cutting table and sewing machine. I love having my own room! Yes we are empty nesters. The other bedroom has the computer, file cabinet, book shelves and tread mill. Kids are all grown with families of their own. Live close, so they don't stay over. Okay, probably more than you wanted to know, but you asked. lol
Old 08-17-2011, 03:10 PM

before I got an extra room I quilted in just about every room in the house. Mostly on the kitchen table.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:20 PM

I was on the dining room table for a long time, had a cabinet in the room that was dedicated to my supplies. Worked pretty well.
Old 08-17-2011, 03:20 PM

That sounds like a good plan! Please try to keep sewing even through the hard times! Hang in there....