Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to Donate? >

Where to Donate?

Where to Donate?

Old 08-18-2016, 04:47 AM

In addition to moonwork's comments--a person can donate little quilts to large NICUs for their born-too-soon babies. These can utilize those orphan blocks that we all have in a corner with no intended future. One comment that I read about those is to be careful of too much blue because these little ones have not survived. Having something soft and pretty to wrap their angel in is a comfort to grieving parents.

Another option for donations is the Ronald McDonald House near large hospitals. Many times families have been whisked away by emergency transfers without benefit of being able to pack sufficient supplies while their child is hospitalized.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
It is sometimes difficult to get thru the bureaucracy of some hospitals. But just keep on trying. I agree local is better since then you avoid the expense of shipping. Ask at guild meetings or at your LQS. Maybe they could steer you to the right connection.
I help coordinate with our local chapter of Project Linus, and we donate to almost all of the places listed above. That said, it is often difficult to get through to the right person to arrange for donations, especially consistently and over time (people leave, they are busy, etc.). I may be biased, but I would recommend donating to an organization and letting them do the "donating" work. Your blankets will reach a child in need and all the organizations will be grateful for your efforts.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:13 AM

I would try your local hospital. Our hospital accepts them in the ER for kids that need a blanket for going home and Surgery accepts them for kids having procedures. Contact the volunteer coordinator at the local hospital.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 AM

our group has found that local hospitals get so much donated they don't know what to do with them all. as I mentioned try your local ambulance or fire departments.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:57 AM

If you live near a military base, check with someone there. Our guild donates a quilt to every baby born to families attached to Camp Pendleton near us. Sometimes that number reaches 30-40 quilts per month. Also, if you are near a vet's hospital, check with them to see if they have needs for the vets. Thank you for doing this for those in need.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:01 AM

Check your local police. I gave some to keep in the cars when they pick up abused children.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

If you look under requests on this board there is a request I started for Looking for help to make baby quilts for the NICU. I would love to have you join if you'd like. Several of us make completes quilts, tops or donate UFOSs or orphan blocks that are made into quilts for the babies in the NICU.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 AM

If you want to donate to a hospital childrens ward or such, go through the hospital chaplain. They know who to contact, whose ear to bend, steps to take. You might want to launder everything before you give it, and let them know that everything is freshly cleaned. Don't use perfumed detergent or fabric softener, as some sick kids may not tolerate the perfume. Include care instructions with each (wash in warm, tumble dry on medium, or whatever).
Old 08-18-2016, 10:02 AM

Contact the volunteer group at your local hospital. It will totally depend on how that admin works, but often they will interview you, check your product and then accept the small blankets for the nursery. After washing mine, I place them in the largest plastic zip bags so they are protected. We have one hospital that has many lower income families and they send the baby home in one of the donated quilts. The mothers are thrilled to have received the gift. My daughter did a similar project for her Gold Award in scouts and gave them to the police dept and fire dept to hand out to children in traumatic situations. It was easy for them to keep a couple in the bags in their vehicles. The sad part was that she made 150 (75 for each group) and they ran out of them way, way too soon!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:19 AM

There are so very many places in most communities. You just have to make some contacts and ask around.

Since you are doing baby quilts, I suggest finding a group that helps teenage mothers. Most communities have a group that is trying to discourage the choice of abortion in the case of unplanned pregnancies. Those groups often have a system of support for new moms.