Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Where to Donate? >

Where to Donate?

Where to Donate?

Old 08-18-2016, 12:41 PM

I live near Sacramento, CA and give to a Quilts4Kids chapter in Davis. They schedule drops to several places.......hospitals, foster care and homeless shelters. I know you can look up local sites on the internet.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:33 PM

We (our local guild) also donate to the NICU at the local hospital and to VA patients. 30-40 a month also. And I personally donate to the Cancer patients.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:52 PM

My sister is co-director at a local pregnancy center. I am sure there is one in your area. They are always in need of baby things. They help pregnant women and teens.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:28 PM

A couple of quick thoughts.

Many different groups and organizations have been mentioned already. Sometimes a Guild or group has cornered the market, as it were, on a recipient and they will only take quilts from that group. This does make sense in that the NICU or other organization knows that they will be getting quilts that meet their guidelines. So if an organization says "No Thank You", ask from whom they get quilts and talk to those people.

I know OP said she likes to make baby quilts, but perhaps there is a demand for quilts for seniors, young adults going off to college on a shoe string budget, teen aged boys, new immigrants.

I belong to two guilds. One makes quilts for the beds in a Youth Shelter and is making a quilt for the shelter to auction off for a fundraiser. The bed quilts were fun to make and are black and primary hst quilts. We also participated in a quilting bee for a rare disease (sorry I do not remember the name). These were group projects and completed over a year

The other guild is brand new. We are individually making quilts for Syrian Refugee families. They arrive with the clothes on their back and appreciate the quilts. One of our guild members does the long arming at no cost as her donation.

In BC, Canada there is a demand for household items for teens aging out of the foster care system.
Old 08-18-2016, 04:17 PM

Our local Humane Society loves to have quilts for the large dogs to keep warm during the winter months. They also use small quilts for the cats and small dogs. Out Humane Society is independent and they are not a member ASPCA so they appreciate all the donations they receive.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:37 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Annaquilts View Post
If you look under requests on this board there is a request I started for Looking for help to make baby quilts for the NICU. I would love to have you join if you'd like. Several of us make completes quilts, tops or donate UFOSs or orphan blocks that are made into quilts for the babies in the NICU.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/request...s-t251900.html
Old 08-19-2016, 03:47 AM
Power Poster

Wounded knee and pine ridge reservations are always in need of quilts, it gets cold during the winters. You can get information for helping them on the wounded knee reservation website.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:16 AM

I usually donate my quilts to organizations that make money for kids in distress and cancer cures. Many of mine have been raffled off. I usually make 2 or 3 a year for this purpose. I keep pretty busy making quilts for family and friends.
Old 08-19-2016, 04:53 AM

I donate to our local county health department for their WIC program
Old 08-19-2016, 06:19 AM

I am a member of a local Project Linus Group and make the delivery to the main children's hospital. In addition to the local children's hospitals, we give our blankets to 21 other charities throughout our region, including homeless shelters, domestic abuse shelters, children of fallen soldiers, hospice (for children that have a loved one in hospice care), and so forth. In our region, the biggest issue we face is that everyone wants to make and donate baby blankets. To some extent that goes for little girl blankets. The hospitals are begging us to make more boy quilts, especially for teenage boys. They have a severe deficiency in this area. Teenage girl quilts are also needed, but not to the extent that boy quilts are needed. So you may want to call all of the children's hospitals in your region and talk to a volunteer services coordinator to find out what need they have in your local area. It is possible that that they don't have a surplus of baby blankets and that they would absolutely love your blanket donation. We don't give blankets to every hospital in our region, so if you cannot find a children's hospital that needs them, you may want to call around to some smaller hospitals and clinics to see if they might have a need.

There are a lot of other really creative solutions in this thread. If you find that there isn't a need for baby blankets in your area, one thing you may want to consider is that baby quilts and lap quilts for wheelchairs aren't too much different in size. I think the lap blankets for wheelchairs are approximately 36"X45".

Keep us posted when you find the perfect home for your beautiful blankets. Good luck!

Last edited by silliness; 08-19-2016 at 06:25 AM.