Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Who likes to  paper piece? Lets Chit Chat! >

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Who likes to paper piece? Lets Chit Chat!

Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 AM

Great tutorial!!Thanks!
Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Suzanne
Beautiful quilt and great looking son!
Thank you! The quilt was a real challenge, but well worth the effort - he LOVED it! P.S. I have three other sons that look pretty much just like him - I think they are all kinda cute myself! ;o)
Old 03-22-2010, 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
I took a PP class at the Philadelphia Mancuso Quilt show. The instructor was George Sciciliano and he has developed a ruler just for PP. It makes the process so much easier. I used it when I made the Cinco de Mayo wallhanging, which I have posted on this site in the Pictures section.
I can't find online where to buy his ruler, do you have an idea?

Thank you, Dawne
Old 03-23-2010, 02:24 AM

Alright. I tried it again, my PP, and used a simpler pattern. This one came out better. You won't believe what I did though! I had everything sewn and was getting ready to sew the 4 small squares together. I decided to trim the last material off under the white piece I had just sewn on.
So, I got it all lined up and cut it off, and then.... I realized that I had cut off my white fabric too!!! The one I had just sewn on. So, I had to take the 1/4" that was left off, cut a new piece of white and sew it on again. I'm not really having alot of luck doing PPing. I hope it gets better. I find it confusing.

My 2nd PP block 3-23-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24108[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-24108.jpe  
Old 03-23-2010, 03:23 AM
Power Poster

I just did my first PP yesterday, and I am so addicted!!
It could have come out a little better probably but I just love the look. I read amma's tute a dozen times, and then ordered Carol Doaks DVD on paper piecing! and once that light bulb finally went off, I was hooked!

My first Paper Pieced Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]24317[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-24317.jpe  
Old 03-23-2010, 03:28 AM

Marilyn,
Super job. See I told you, you can do it. I have that light blue fabric with the pink flowers.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by Ninnie
I just did my first PP yesterday, and I am so addicted!!
It could have come out a little better probably but I just love the look. I read amma's tute a dozen times, and then ordered Carol Doaks DVD on paper piecing! and once that light bulb finally went off, I was hooked!
That's a great block.

One of the things I love about pp is that the back when I'm all done and have taken off the paper is all perfectly pressed. It's the only time when I do have bulky seams that are going every which way.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:49 AM

Love PP. I have Carol Doak's books and her patterns are easy. One book is birds. My ASG group is doing the 12 blocks for a quilt. They're very easy compared to some other patterns.

I put pins at the end of each stitching line to locate my next piece. I have the ruler too but often find I can eyeball the 1/4".. I use very thin computer paper and 15 stitches to the inch. I like CP because it holds together better if you have to ripit and let's face it, you do have times when you have to ripit.

I cut my patterns another 1/4" outside the dotted line but don't trim to that line until I put the sections together. Has been very accurate so far. I don't remove the paper until all blocks are together. Then a final press.

I use a wooden presser as I piece and then an iron press when the block is finished. Have had some eally goofy mistakes but the were sure good for a few laughs.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:51 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Tip for ripping PP - if you very gently ease the two layers apart with your seam ripper to give you a start, you can cut through the stitching with a sharp rotary cutter while holding one edge up and to the side with your other hand - I use my mini one for this - and I do it quite often! LOL
Old 03-23-2010, 04:02 AM

Curves aren't hard. You sew the curve of the pattern then when you are ready to add the next piece, you take tiny tucks in the curved piece to make is lay flat and sew the next piece on the tucks.