Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
who makes the rules? >

who makes the rules?

who makes the rules?

Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 AM

I think that sometimes we are our worst quilt police. As far as the rest, up theirs' I am too old to worry about "what is right , sometimes it is just how it will work" Just enjoy what you are doing....
Old 12-27-2010, 07:21 AM

I think that sometimes we are our worst quilt police. As far as the rest, up theirs' I am too old to worry about "what is right , sometimes it is just how it will work" Just enjoy what you are doing....
Old 12-27-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
hear a lot about "quilt police". just wondering, who actually makes the quilting "rules". I have a lot of books on quilting by various authors and there are sometimes different methods given. it bugs me b/c when our ancestors made quilts - the pioneer women etc, they didn't appear to follow "rules" and we never say they did it wrong. so who actually has the right to suddenly make rules on how things have to be done. is their a quilting law book or something? if i want all my seams to be 1/3" rather than 1/4" what does it matter? as long as all the seams are the same size? maybe it just the baby boomer in me but i sometimes resent having to follow all the "rules" that are made by so called quilting experts.
Soryy, no real police! But when other quilters say something "should" be done one way or another, I suspect it's becasue it's the "way it's always been done". I'm sure using a template was radical at some point, and then using a rotary cutter, now the GO!. But other things like 1/4" seams are there becasue most people find that easiest to use, and it gives quilters a common measurement when following patterns. But if 1/3" suits you better - go for it!

i didn't mean i was going to do a 1/3" seam - just was an example of breaking the rules. (tho I am sure some have ended up being 1/3 and 1/5 and 3/8 etc! LOL)
Old 12-27-2010, 08:26 AM

Like Aurora I have great memories of my Grannie pieceing using a cardboard or paper template. I have some of those cardboard templates and you can see the many pencil marks she made tracing the pattern. I also have some of the original Kansas City Star newspaper clippings from the 1930's. They mention the 1/4" allowance. Besides conserving material I also believe this was done so that when quilting there is not so many layers to quilt through since a lot of the quilting was done 1/4" in from the seam. A lot of those vintage quilts were quilted at Quilting Bees or community quilt groups and there had to be some consistency. The "Quilt Police" probably did not exist back in the day because women did not have the internet to tell them they had to do something. This reminds me of a woman I met who did Swedish Weaving like I do and the woman who taught her told her she could only use Red Heart yarn. Actually you can use any brand you want.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 AM

I just like to follow a pattern. When I see a picture of a quilt, I would like mine to look as near to it as possible. If it says do a 3/4" seam instead of a 1/4", that is what I will do. If I don't, then it is not going to look anything close to the picture. Points look nicer if all the seams were sewn the correct width. Just my opinion. Like everyone else said, its your quilt make it anyway you little heart desires. You'll love it!!
Old 12-27-2010, 08:31 AM

Yep, I make up my own rules...as I go.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 AM

I too a baby boomer and I do what works for me and I'm happy with the out come.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:35 AM

I too a baby boomer and I do what works for me and I'm happy with the out come.
Old 12-27-2010, 09:58 AM

I don't think we have real "quilting police" but perhaps that is another title for "Quilt Judges". So if it isn't in a contest, just enjoy what you love.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM

There are no set rules, rather suggestions of what works for each person. And just because it works for me doesn't mean that it will work for you and vice versa. The only time you should follow "rules" is if you'd paid for a seminar/workshop where there's famous teacher like Carol Doak, Ricky Tims or whomever. Then follow their instructions to the letter. Later you can pick and choose which of those instructions you want to adapt for yourself. The only reason I say that is because you've paid money to learn so go ahead and learn their methods. You never know what you might want to keep.