Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
who makes the rules? >

who makes the rules?

who makes the rules?

Old 12-27-2010, 11:12 AM

I know the feeling -- some of the quilters attending an international quilt show last year with me were horrified when I said that I had used pecale sheets for background, backing, and even some appliques -- those quilts have held up to washings and large doggies with claws -- my quilts are for using, not great art work
Old 12-27-2010, 11:22 AM
Power Poster

Most rules are from experience and they are rules to follow. Some rules are profit rules. I ask myself Who will profit the most by making this rule? the quilter or the person who is paid to say it is a rule.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:14 PM

I tell my students, "It's your quilt!" That's the bottom line. Do all the research you want, take all the suggestions/advice you want and decide what is best for you; after all "It's your quilt!"
Old 12-27-2010, 12:19 PM

As far as I am concerned it doesn't matter as long as the width of the seams are the same through out.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:29 PM

If you are following a pattern then the seam size will make a difference, but each machine will sew different 1/4" size seams; as will the same machine with different sewers will have a different size seam because each person sees edges differently. Do what is comfortable for you and the fabric and how your end project will be used. Baby or pet quilts might have a larger seam than the show quilt or wall hanging. Just enjoy the hobby of quilting that is all the really matters.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:46 PM

What rules? There are rules for quilting?
Good grief, I missed that class.
All kidding aside, unless you are entering a show, are into the artistic quilting, or are making a living at quilting, it's your quilt and you can do what you want.
Amma said it best I think and alway's remember to have fun and enjoy what you are making.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:49 PM

I believe the quilt police is a term used for people who enter shows that must meet exacting standards.
That is what they do to determine a fair assessment of every person's quilts.

That said the standard seam allowances are 1/4 inch for quilting and 5/8 for sewing most garments. Who decided these I have no clue but they are tried and true methods for years. If you use another person's pattern and when you start changing things to suit yourself your quilt or garment most probably won't turn out correctly. Course we have all run into patterns with mistakes. When you design your own quilt you have to do the math to make your squares and triangles, etc. all line up and fit correctly. That is a lot easier said than done.

Ultimately you can do anything your own way but the reason some of the seam guidelines are there is because that is what generations of quilters have learned through trial and error giving us the gift of their experience.
Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by quiltmaker
I believe the quilt police is a term used for people who enter shows that must meet exacting standards.
That is what they do to determine a fair assessment of every person's quilts.

That said the standard seam allowances are 1/4 inch for quilting and 5/8 for sewing most garments. Who decided these I have no clue but they are tried and true methods for years. If you use another person's pattern and when you start changing things to suit yourself your quilt or garment most probably won't turn out correctly. Course we have all run into patterns with mistakes. When you design your own quilt you have to do the math to make your squares and triangles, etc. all line up and fit correctly. That is a lot easier said than done.

Ultimately you can do anything your own way but the reason some of the seam guidelines are there is because that is what generations of quilters have learned through trial and error giving us the gift of their experience.
Thank You, Very well put!!
Old 12-27-2010, 02:17 PM

I agree.

The biggest beef I have is when people say they have to use 100% cotton. Our ancestors used what they had. This means I may need to use 50/50 to fill in a color since I don't have much all cotton to choose from here. I don't worry about the "quilt police". I realize that all cotton is nicer, but the 50/50 works.

Also sometimes, since I use used clothing...I don't always know what the material is if the tags are cut out or the thing is home made.
Old 12-27-2010, 03:27 PM

i THOUGHT THAT WHEN i REACHED 40 YEARS OLD, i COULD EITHER USE MY OWN MIND OR LOSE IT. i CHOSE TO USE IT. iT IS MY QUILT AND i'LL DO IT MY WAY.