Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
who makes the rules? >

who makes the rules?

who makes the rules?

Old 12-27-2010, 03:28 PM

If the "quilt police" begin arresting people, we will be in great company! Make sure and bring along your thimbles, needles, thread and a block of material we can work into a quilt! LOL
Old 12-27-2010, 03:32 PM

just like most everything else in life . . . it is best to know what the alleged rules are so you may break them!!! i believe every quilter every where needs to read the book: THAT DORKY HOMEMADE LOOK, QUILTING LESSONS FROM A PARALLEL UNIVERSE, by Lisa Boyer. the lessons learned by reading this will make you feel "normal"!!!
Old 12-27-2010, 03:38 PM

What rules? It's YOUR quilt!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by amma
There are few rules that I follow...
Avoid bias edges whenever possible
A consistent seam is very helpful in constructing quilts
Try to remember to change needles and rotary blades before they cause problems :roll:
Interfacing can make quilting much easier when using stretchy fabrics
Just because someone says a technique/block is hard to make/do, isn't necessarily true
A clean machine causes less problems than a lint filled one :wink:

Other than that? I have probably broke more rules than I have ever dreamed of following LMBO :D:D:D
Ok, so I haven't read this complete thread, but thought I'd stick my 2 cents' worth in here. It helps me if I know the "becauses"!
Avoid bias edges because they stretch and distort the shape of the block easily. (Press with iron up and down, not side to side when working with bias.)
Keep a consistent seam so everything measures out according to the pattern. And l/4 inch seam (Oh have I had difficulty with them!!!) are necessary so points are not cut off.
Sharp needles work better and dull blades cut fingers easier than they cut fabric. That's a promise.
Can't comment on interfacin from experience as I have never used it!! Saving that for the future.

Removing lint from the machine results in less problems with tension and fewer trips to the shop for cleaning and repairs.

Bottom Line: If it works for you, do it. It's your quilt and having a good time doing it is what quilting is all about.

Sew------ Happy New Year and Happy Quilting!
Old 12-27-2010, 04:52 PM

I think each person has her/his own method, and when they teach or write a book, it sounds like they are telling you their way is the ONLY way, but, of course, we know better. <G> I just take it as THEIR way, not necessarily the ONLY way, and I can walk through their instructions without feeling challenged or threatened. Then, if I find a better or easier way, voila! But we also know that the self-appointed quilt police are always going to be with us. That must be quilting's fly in the ointment.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:09 PM

I also thought quilt police were the ones who would pick apart my pride and joy that I worked sooo hard on . . . Was called "quilt police" when I noted on a board that someone was off topic. I would say do your best and know that you can always improve. There have been previous posts with basics "rules" which are really just meant to help you succeed when you put your heart and soul into your quilt. In my opinion, basics like straight when it should be, no puckers when there shouldn't be and most importantly - do you like it?? are the most important.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

I like your train of thought. I think the rules only apply when one is entering a quilt in a show to be judged for a ribbon otherwise it is just like you said.
Old 12-27-2010, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
To me the rules are just guidelines that generally make things work better or make a process easier. I don't even call them "rules" when teaching. Instead, I say there are "suggestions" that we may (or may not) want to follow. Doing so makes us better at our craft, and who doesn't want to be better? So we read and take classes to learn new techniques and to improve for our own satisfaction. As with most things, we have to make decisions based on what works for us at the moment and based on common sense.

The quilt police are like the fashion police, they exist in a strange kind of way, but after a while who really cares? I still wear my jeans, tee shirts and athletic shoes because to me comfort is more important than fashion. Do people find me dowdy and unfashionable? Absolutely, but it doesn't matter one bit if I'm comfortable.
Oh my, now I'm dowdy???!!!!! lol I live in jeans and T shirts!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 12-27-2010, 06:58 PM

I think that quilting is suppose to be enjoyable - I just check out different techniques that various quilting authors come up with - adopt the ones that work for me & the quilting police can go to )*_)&)(^&+_)

Life is really too short to worry what others - unless entering a quilt in a show - think of my work. If I like the results I'm a happy camper.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by cag1949
Originally Posted by fleurdelisquilts.com
T

The quilt police are like the fashion police, they exist in a strange kind of way, but after a while who really cares? I still wear my jeans, tee shirts and athletic shoes because to me comfort is more important than fashion. Do people find me dowdy and unfashionable? Absolutely, but it doesn't matter one bit if I'm comfortable.
Oh my, now I'm dowdy???!!!!! lol I live in jeans and T shirts!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, I had other words but this is a family board. Imagine what the folks on "What not to wear" would say!!!! They might not use "dowdy" either.