Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Who is the most frugal quilter?

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I have to admit that in the early days of my marriage & having 2 babies, I'd save every pc. of basting thread so I could reuse it. I was self taught & it just made sense not to just throw it away.

Just today, as I made runners, I used the whole bobbin worth of thread til it ran out before reloading.
    I baste with hand quilting thread so as I take it out I use it for hand quilting. DH will save the thread from taking out a seam, if you do it all from one side you wind up with a long piece on the other. He squeezes a nickel so hard he makes the buffalo burp.

I am a frugal quilter.
    I have one machine. A white rotary from the 50's bought on craigslist for $50 with all attachments and in the cabinet with the stool.
    I buy clothes from a thrift store or yard sale but only if they are 50 cents or less.
    I only buy fabric that is on clearance for less than $2 a yard.
    I baste with thread not spray.
    I buy poly batting from walmart.
    I hand quilt and my thimbles cost me only $1 each several years ago.
    I make my own templates for piecing and quilting.
    I buy scissors for $1 cause it costs more to sharpen old ones than to buy another pair for $1.
    I buy needles at walmart. round cases with about 20 needles for $3 or less.
    I use razor blades to rip.
    I use sheets for backing usually. I did find 108" backing fabric at walmart for $6.97 yd. a few months ago.
    I did buy a rotary cutter and 3 clear rulers (12" sq., 6" sq. and 6"x24") and a cutting mat recently. I love the rulers. Barely use the cutter and mat.

I consider myself pretty frugal. But it is by necessity. I love this cause it gives me more ideas on how to save money and how to do things easier and quicker.
    Last edited by willis.debra; 05-17-2012 at 04:17 AM.

Not me, machine in basement, machine upstairs (for smaller projects) and a machine in Texas (when I visit the kids/grandkids). Fabric is hauled between states with stops to various quilt stores.

My Mother-in-Law would have qualified, although we did get her fabric at garage sales. I introduced her to rotary cutting, but she wouldn't use one--templates and sissors only for her! One of her favorite patterns was 'Apple Core.' Sadly she died two years ago (still quilting ) on her 96th birthdday. Miss her everyday.

So far I vote for Ashley in TN as being closest to the goal here. I am very frugal about many things, and since I retired a year ago am really watching my pennies. But I do not qualify for the "extreme frugal" prize stated above. This is a fun thread, though. Thanks for asking the question!
    "The business of life is making memories. In the end, it is all we have." Butler Charlie Carson, Downton Abbey, season 4, episode 3, PBS.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I baste with hand quilting thread so as I take it out I use it for hand quilting. DH will save the thread from taking out a seam, if you do it all from one side you wind up with a long piece on the other. He squeezes a nickel so hard he makes the buffalo burp.
    ptquilts and her DH get my vote! (... and now I have to find a nickel so I can see how hard I have to squeeze it, to watch that buffalo burp!!!!)

4 machines, 8 pairs of scissors (I think), EQ software... I don't think I qualify.

Anita in Northfield, MN

OI buy only fabric yearneeded for a specific quilt, my oldest sewingmachin is 60+years old(Singer FW) that works, a 46+ Pfaff that needs a new cord and adjustments, My favorite a Bernina that is 20+ years old, not a quilting one, and a fairly new Brothers that I bout at WM to take to classes. Will be taking my FW now that I have it.I am far from being furgal, love new accessories that come. Rulers, the Accuquilt GO.
    Grandmeto6 aka Judy

I love this thread!! And "Frugal" is not MY middle name. I used ruler, pencil, and scissors for my very first quilt (for the blocks only). Then I bought a mat, rotary cutter, and 5" x 24 " ruler for the sashings and borders. Seems that everytime I make a new quilt top, I buy more gadgets. I'm in a guild that does BOMs. Sometimes we use templates. Yikes! My blocks never come out right. So lately I've been trying to apply strip quilting as much as I can instead of using the templates. Notice I said "quilt top"? That's about as far as I get, and then I'm on to a new top. Only finish the ones I NEED to finish.....as this graduation quilt that is already late. He'll get it in time for his college graduation, hopefully. His school colors and college colors are the same so this is making it very interesting. I've kind changed the theme midstream so they would tie in. Having fun doing it.
    One step at a time, always forward.

Although I am frugal and try to keep that way, I couldn't quilt without my rotary cutter and rulers. I use a newer machine, but I didn't buy it, it was a gift from DH, so does that count against me? LOL.
    I am a whirl at upcycling for fabrics and have yet to buy a pattern commercially. I did get a couple at the thrift store tho. I love designing my own patterns!!!
    So I guess, even tho I am close, I do not grab the gold ring on this one. Hugs and smiles!
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

Blog Entries
    I just got back from the States and I probably spent more time (and money) at Joann's than with my friends...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    hmmm... I don't think the frugal quilter would be on the internet, wasting time like the rest of us...
    I say 'Amen' to that. I am getting very little done since I found this board!
    Peace is not the absence of conflict, but the presence of God!

I think Willis.Debra is going to get my vote....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I am totally FRUGAL.....about everything BUT, quilting and plants...I have a total of 8 machines, a huge stash, too many quilt books and templates and always on the lookout for anything more that I might like or use. I love collections of fabrics and collections of plants....have about 45 roses plus 50 more that I started last year for myself and my 2 kids that are ready for transplanting, over 150 colors of tall hybrid bearded iris, over 125 colors of daylilies, and approx. 30 or more hosta, 10 hardy hibiscus, 15 hydrangeas 20 perennial types of daisies and a gazillion other plants...too many to mention
    Jim and I must be long-lost siblings. I NEVER pay full price for groceries. I coupon to the extreme - I'll walk away with $750 of food in my cart that I paid maybe $100 for. But I can't stop buying quilty things and plants. Maybe there needs to be a 12 step program for people like me and Jim!!! LOL

NOPE I DON'T QUALIFY ,I CAN'T GET RIDE OF A MACHINE ONCE IT IS in MY OWNERSHIP. SO that means I have too many. but oldies are goodies with memories. Sorry they stay. As or fabric I have a small stash and have used clothes to take apart for the fabric.
    Love to make scrappies.
    Freedom is costly and quilting keeps us busy...

Quote Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
    Ah hmmm. Would a frugal quilter have a computer? Just sayin.
    YES! Free patterns, no driving to meetings to talk to other quilters, money-saving tips are all online.

Blog Entries
    I do love this board--I've been absent for a few days, catching up on my ironing and finding a new Walmart for shopping (in Glasgow, KY).....sitting down here for the past hour or so has me all fired up to get going on a quilt that I have been neglecting for the past couple of weeks. And no, I would not even come near qualifying for this frugal thing--too many machines, too many tools, and too little time.....

Love to you all, Jo Ann

count me out, although I have only 5 sewing machines (2 non working) and vast quantity of fabric and scraps

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I am totally FRUGAL.....about everything BUT, quilting and plants...I have a total of 8 machines, a huge stash, too many quilt books and templates and always on the lookout for anything more that I might like or use. I love collections of fabrics and collections of plants....have about 45 roses plus 50 more that I started last year for myself and my 2 kids that are ready for transplanting, over 150 colors of tall hybrid bearded iris, over 125 colors of daylilies, and approx. 30 or more hosta, 10 hardy hibiscus, 15 hydrangeas 20 perennial types of daisies and a gazillion other plants...too many to mention

With that many plants, how do you have time to quilt?
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by GagaSmith View Post
    I'm not eligible. Usually, if I like it, I buy it (within reason).
    Whew... I was afraid I was alone in my "weakness"... LOL!
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I nominate my quilting buddy, Pam Olds. She does all those things and doesn't waste anything. She packs up the ravelings in the waste basket, (all that's left) and gives them to a lady that stuffs toys with them. She uses everything and wastes nothing. We all give her donated fabric, and she distributes it also. Pam hates to waste anything and we should all be more like her. My hat is off to Pay. Recycle, recycle, recycle.
    Donna Quilts
    We help the wounded soldiers.

I try to be as frugal as I can, I have to little ones at home (toddlers) so although sewing is a hobby, I have to make it fit within our budget. I don't buy any fabric at full price, buy a lot from Goodwill and yardsales and grab some off freecycle too. I'm looking forward to the day when I can start buying gadgets I do have a sewing machine, its a cheap one but it works for me. I make some of my kiddies clothes for special occasions so that saves me money to put into my hobby. When I go back to work when the kiddies are in Elementary school I will have a little bit more income to play with .. and I shall PLAY! lol

I do upcycle fabric but have 2 machines i use almost daily plus my surger gets used as needed.

well it could be me lol I have one sewing machine and it was bought for me on ebay lol..... My material usually comes from the mission where I get clothes to cut them up and denim to make purses and such. I do have some material but it was either given to me because someone was cleaning out there stash or purchased for me. I'm still trying to get my ssi or my military compensation and I use scissors to cut everything with... .. This sounds bad lol..

I use sheets for my backing that I get for free and I use old blankets and take them apart so I can use the batting in there for other projects...... I hope in the future I wont have to be so frugal on it

Regina
    Last edited by regina1062; 05-17-2012 at 06:35 PM.

When I first started quilting I bought all my fabric at the Goodwill, but then I discovered quilt shop quality, and I've never looked back! I have one or two of everything as I like to try out new toys.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast