Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!! >

Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!!

Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 07:07 AM

I do this too. But at the end of the day, I'd rather have fabric leftover than screw some up and not have enough. I can always find someone who wants scraps!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 AM

Mickey Depre (author of Pieced Hexies) refers to quilt backs made with orphans and pieced chunks of fabric you wish to get gone as Frankenbacks! I love this name. Very freeing!

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
use the extra blocks or fabric as part of the backing. Or, as others have suggested, do a scrappy quilt or two or three...or ten!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:50 AM

I once cut and sewed enough 9 patches to make two queen scrappy quilts and a lap quilt, my intention was one. using scraps I wasn't even aware of it.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:11 AM

I am a fabric hoarder and even with my last breath I will refuse to join a 12 step program to remedy this illness. LOLOLOOL HAHAHAHAHA........................................ ......
Old 08-18-2013, 08:20 AM

I don't make extra blocks, but I DO end up with extra fabric. There is nothing worse than putting a project on the back-burner for a couple of years, going back to it, realizing you don't have quite enough of one of the fabrics, and the fabric isn't made anymore!!
Old 08-18-2013, 08:42 AM

You can also make scrappy table runners, hot pads ect. Great little birthday gifts or extra x-mas gifts. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I always tend to buy a little more fabric than I need, so that if I make a wrong cut and have to make a new block, there will be enough fabric to do that. If you have so many extra blocks, why not make a sampler quilt - even if you don't use the quilt it will always make a good charity quilt. I like to think of having extra fabric a cushion - like right now, we had to downsize to a small apartment, so space was limited, however I drew a line in the sand when my family wanted me to get rid of more fabric. Now I'm making quilts from my stash and I have the fabric available, although from time to time I do need to pick up something to finish a quilt, the majority are from my stash. Shopping in my stash is almost like going to the fabric store, although going to a fabric store is a little more fun.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:24 AM

First off, take deep breath. You are normal.

I usually end up with a few left over pieces too. By the time I'm done with a quilt, I just want it and all it's friends (extra scraps/blocks ect) out of my home. So I make a pillowcase with the left over pieces. That will usually use up all the extras and it's a gift wrap bag all in one!

Oh, and I almost forgot, I also use extra blocks in the backing. That way it ties the two sides together in more than one way! I had one recipient say she liked the back better than the front! I was a little shocked as the front was a lot of house blocks that take a while to piece, but as long as she was happy, that's all that mattered.!!!

Last edited by orangeroom; 08-18-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:48 AM

Check out Patchwork Posse's "52 UFO Quilt Block Pick Up" (http://www.patchworkposse.com/2012/0...d-inspiration/). Scroll to the bottom of the page for long (and growing) list of things to make with just a few blocks. More fun than plopping the poor little guys on the back of the quilt!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:07 AM

I am in exactly that position this afternoon--I have been making a twin size quilt for my GGD, and I have about a million 2-12" strips left over. I am thinking of adding some together end to end to make her quilt a little longer and wider. Pictures later? Only maybe. I am not to that point in my posting to this site yet....