Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!! >

Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!!

Why do I end up with more fabric/squares/triangles/blocks than I need!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 11:16 AM

I love this site, I will try to make some spit up bibs with the extra blocks, fabric.

Originally Posted by nuevaquilter View Post
Check out Patchwork Posse's "52 UFO Quilt Block Pick Up" (http://www.patchworkposse.com/2012/0...d-inspiration/). Scroll to the bottom of the page for long (and growing) list of things to make with just a few blocks. More fun than plopping the poor little guys on the back of the quilt!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:48 AM

Default Hoarding is not in the Quilting Vocabulary

"". I cannot be the only one out there with lots of orphan blocks left over, lots of little pieces, lots of fabric. Is this another "hoarding" that is lurking behind "the master of fabric hoarding???"[/QUOTE]

jmho, you can never have too many unfinished blocks! They will eventually turn into something devine....as suggested in previous replys table runners, back art on your quilt, potholders, the list is almost endless.

Another suggestion is to Exchange them with someone elses unfinished leftover blocks, that way they will be New to someone else and you get New blocks too.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 AM

another great site to visitfor ideas is Bonnie K Hunters: www.quiltville.blogspot.com
Old 08-18-2013, 12:22 PM

I do the same thing. If the pattern calls for 2-1/2 yards of a fabric, I'll round it off to 3.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:09 PM

I have definitely been there. I wanted to make a pattern that came free in a magazine offer. I cut two strips (2 different sizes) from all the bright colored fabrics I had as I wanted a lot of variety. When I finished that quilt I still had a lot of both size squares left over so I made a quilt from a different pattern that used the same size squares. Still had leftovers. After making four more quilts using these squares, they are just about gone. Made six quilts total. Glad to see them gone finally.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:47 PM

You sound just like me .
Old 08-18-2013, 05:13 PM

And the extra fabric/blocks/scraps are a problem because ???????????
Old 08-18-2013, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by Nilla View Post
I change my mind too much while putting a quilt top together. That's why I have so many extra blocks after a project. I've been putting them in pieced backings lately, but I have a bunch of heavily embroidered squares that I have no idea what to do with. Their colors don't coordinate enough to put them together in a top and I don't want to quilt over them on the backings, so for now, they'll just sit in my "what should I do with this" drawer.
No such thing as colors not coordinating. Just put a "frame" around each block. Then add white or black sashing (or any neutral color you wish), and that will bring everything together. (Corner stones to bring in more colors?) Arrange the blocks so that the colors next to each other sort of agree.

If the blocks are different sizes, the frames are made wider as needed to make them all the same size. Some smaller blocks might even get two frames (or three). How about tiny piano keys on the smallest blocks. The possibilities are endless.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:51 PM

I also buy more than I need because I learned the hard way not to assume the fabric will be there if you need more. I would rather than too much than not enough. Recently, I attended a Bonnie Hunter event. She has show and tell after lunch where attendees can show the quilts they finished or are working on. I was fascinated with the backs of some of those quilts. The quilters used extra blocks or extra fabric and designed beautiful backs for their quilts. You might want to think about that with some of your extra ... and make an interesting back for your quilt.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:34 PM

You could also donate them to your guild, there are all sorts of charity quilts that they do, and extra blocks are always welcome.