Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do my flying geese look so bad? >

Why do my flying geese look so bad?

Why do my flying geese look so bad?

Old 01-30-2012, 04:28 PM
gus

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I just watched a Youtube video called "One seam flying geese quilt block" and it looks fantastic. I am going to go try it right now.
Great video will have to try this...Thanks
Old 01-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by crafterrn1 View Post
I use the Flying geese 4X4 ruler. I love it. I also use the math method same principle as the ruler.
http://www.lazygirldesigns.com/books.php
Luann
I 2nd this one, this works great
Old 01-30-2012, 05:41 PM

I have both the Eleanor Burns and the Lazy Girl flying geese rulers. They both work very well and make it easy
but I prefer the Lazy Girl one.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:08 PM

Me too and it usually costs me money.lol

Originally Posted by AnnieH View Post
Practically every thread I follow on here has me off on an interesting and informative internet flight. Good job I'm done for the day.
Annie
Old 01-30-2012, 07:53 PM

My first post on this board was about how I do flying geese. I LOVE them. Must be the way I do it. I didn't have a camera at that time so someone else came up with them in http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf
My original post is entitles Flying Geese Discussion. Take a look. No fancy rulers. Very little math. And I get perfect results every time - and that's a Lot of Times!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
Try paper piecing them. Takes the frustration out it. Here is a link of different sizes you can try.

http://www.quilterscache.com/B/Blank...latesPage.html
Wow, thanks for that link! I can only make a nice log cabin by paper piecing and I usually get out my graph paper and construct a new template every time. I'm getting ready to do a log cabin quilt and this will come in extremely handy! I might even try the flying geese too!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:36 PM
Power Poster

I lay the square on the background fabric and mark the diagonal on that square (not the background). Then I sew just a thread or two off the line (toward the edge - not the center). When I sew right on the line I don't seem to have enough to press back. I also do not trim through both layers when the square is attached. I only trim the triangle half of the background suare. That way when I press it back and it is off by a little, I stil have the original size of the background rectangle.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
My first post on this board was about how I do flying geese. I LOVE them. Must be the way I do it. I didn't have a camera at that time so someone else came up with them in http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf
My original post is entitles Flying Geese Discussion. Take a look. No fancy rulers. Very little math. And I get perfect results every time - and that's a Lot of Times!
I agree with CWESSEL47 - I use the same technique, and as far as I'm concerned it's the only way to make perfect Flying Geese. As you say, no special rulers, very little math - I could make them all day long.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post

I just finished 96 using this method. They came out very nicely after I scraped a few finding the correct size squares to cut to get my desired finished size.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by irishrose View Post
I just finished 96 using this method. They came out very nicely after I scraped a few finding the correct size squares to cut to get my desired finished size.
Can't go wrong with this method.