Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do my flying geese look so bad? >

Why do my flying geese look so bad?

Why do my flying geese look so bad?

Old 01-31-2012, 03:58 AM

Do an online search for Ricky Tim's one seam flying geese. They are super easy.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:04 AM

My flying geese looked more like seagulls in a 'Storm at Sea' but the E. Burns rulers worked for me
Old 01-31-2012, 04:10 AM

Her ruler does work very well. Several rulers out there that take all the frustration out of it. I have finally mastered the technique, but I think they are so boring to make. I have made 3 king size flying geese quilts [requests] so I had to get better, ha
Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by cwessel47 View Post
My first post on this board was about how I do flying geese. I LOVE them. Must be the way I do it. I didn't have a camera at that time so someone else came up with them in http://www.patchpieces.com/files/flyinggeese.pdf
My original post is entitles Flying Geese Discussion. Take a look. No fancy rulers. Very little math. And I get perfect results every time - and that's a Lot of Times!
Wow! I haven't seen this before. I am going to try it. Looks easy enough. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 AM

When i took a class the teacher told us to start on the line about 3 or 4 stitches and then slightly vere off the line towards the point and sew till you get about 3or 4 stitches then go back on the the line.this will give you a little extra when you press open and then you can trim.
Works for me everytime.
I think MadQuilter described this also.
Gale
Old 01-31-2012, 05:18 AM

I have been quilting for quite a while, not a perfectionist. Some things just never turn out as good as I would like.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:23 AM

Have you tried the 4-at-a-time method usually called the "no-waste" method? It's a simple formula and they come out perfect every time! Please PM if you want further information.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I've been quilting for 20 years and I still haven't mastered the flying geese. I just had to make some for a quilt I'm making and I ran out of fabric because I kept having to re-do them. I sew on the line I make on the back of the square and put the square in the corner of the rectangle and then put the other square on the other side and cut the back off (behind the squares) and it's the wrong size every time. I tried making it bigger and planned on cutting it down, but I would have lost my points. I lose my points anyway and they are always too small every which way. Is there a trick to making them? Is there another way? They are suppose to be 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 rectangles and I add 2 1/2" squares. Any help would be appreciated.
Geese are tricky birds... pinning them down isn't easy, just when you think you gott'em they move. Don't blame yourself, blame the darn geese.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:37 AM

I love the Eleanor Burns method. They always turn out perfect because you square them up, plus you make four at a time!!!!
Originally Posted by pdcakm View Post
check out the eleanor burns video using her flying geese ruler. i haven't tried the ruler yet but am looking forward to it.
http://www.quiltinaday.com/televisio...geeseruler.asp
Old 01-31-2012, 05:43 AM

I have used all the methods and Eleanor Burns method is the best. They are always slightly over sided so you are able to trim the block down to the correct size without loosing the point. Good luck on finding your way to create flying geese as each of us must find our own way that works best for us. And remember, no way is the wrong way.