Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

Why do I have at least 20 sewing machines? Why not!

It just happens....I have a Viking Lily....great machine but limited as far as decorative stitches go. I have my late MIL's Viking Rose...because none of my SIL's sew. I rarely use it....it is just a back up machine. And in Dec I bought a brand new Viking Ruby! Now I am learning to embroider. Oh, yeah....also have my grandmother's Singer Treadle in it's gorgeous cabinet....I do not use it but I sure love it.

I have only two sewing machines. I'd have more if I had space for them. I am using my Featherweight for piecing and my Bernina for quilting at the moment. I have either a walking foot or the BSR on it. It is easier to do piecing on the Featherweight than to take off my quilting feet, etc. from the Bernina. I got the Featherweight to take to classes; but it is a great backup when my Bernina is in the shop. I'm always working on several projects at a time so a second machine is really helpful.

Blog Entries
    I have a number of machines; the newest is a sewing/embroidery machine. Next is my quilting machine, which is probably 5-10 years old. A 1939 Singer 201 is my main machine for regular sewing if it doesn't require zigzag. The 1934 Singer 15-91 is set up for fmq on smaller items. A 1943 featherweight goes with me for quilt group and classes. My mother's old 1960s White doesn't get used much, and several others also. Then there are the 2 sergers which are used for clothing, but not for quilts. Probably too many machines, but I have a hard time letting go. I just really like old machines. Luckily, DH is tolerant of my hobby.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

I have my original Kenmore with decorative cams, almost 42 yrs but really didn't do much regular sewing. Then I got interested in quilting about 10 yrs ago and after I saw all the new computer style machines my friends were using, all the decorative stitches, needle up/down, thread cutter etc I wanted one too. So about 6 years ago I got a Janome6500 that I love. I found an old 15-91 Singer on Craigslist in cabinet with bench for only $25 and couldn't pass that up. Then my dad gave me an old, very heavy machine called a Bradshaw I think but the airlines damaged the carrier it came in. Then 2 yrs ago my hubby found a great deal on a Husqvarna Viking serger on Craigslist for me ... I still haven't used it, I'm intimidated by the threading .. yikes, I want to use it for place mats, napkins etc. I just need someone to show me how to do it, our local sew/vac store went out of business and I'll have to gird my loins and try to find a tute online.

Even tho I still love my old workhorse Kenmore (I let my grands use it) my fave is my Janome. I've been wanting/wishing for a featherweight but don't want to pay the price most are asking ... it would be nice to take to classes etc. The Janome and Kenmore are SOOOO heavy!
    Warm quilt hugs, Sue in CA
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PostCardMailArt

Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death....Rosalind Russell

I bought my first sewing machine at a garage sale almost 30 years ago - a Singer99K. My only machine until I inheirited my mother's featherweight (Gram had got it new in the '30s). Ok, used them both regularly. Then a few years ago an odd green machine caught my eye at our local thrift shop. $30 later my Elna Supermatic came into my life! I love that machine. Last year, same shop, a commerical Japanese machine from the 50's. This is a workhorse and hums through canvas, upholstry fabric, plus it came with a complete set of decrotive cams. So, four, and I use them all!
    ​tea

Good question. But to tell you the truth, for me is to secure a backup situation. 2. To not miss out on a unbelievable deal of second bernina, phaff and a $ 40 featherweight. 3. Because it sadden me to see them unwanted at yard sales. And i know they are good machines and i can find a user for them. 4. Its nice to have extras in order to let friends get together. But i still cant explain the reason to adopting them and not be able to let them go to just anyone.

I have 4, a 1920's treadle, a 221 FW, a Viking, a Kenmore and a Singer 301. The 301 is in a beautiful cabinet and I love to sew on it. I has a beautiful stitch and it sit next to to a large window to my back yard... My 221 and Viking go with me to classes and quilt retreats. I learn a long time ago to always have a backup. A lady at a retreat was lucky that I had a spare machine in my car, hers' broke and we were 1 1/2 hrs up the mountains...

I have given away 4 machines that did not mean much to me but were very much needed by others...

Blog Entries
    I have my MIL's 1896 Singer treadle, my mom's featherweight and my white featherweight found at garage sale for $25. and my small Janome that I do all my piecing on..and looking to upgrade soon..

Blog Entries
    Sewing, featherwt. Serger, whats left of an emb machine. Two other given to me that ill donate.

I have several machines because I can't find a machine that "does it all". I used my Bernina 830 Record for over 30 years but once I started quilting, the harp space was too small to quilt King sized quilts. My Janome 6500 FM quilts well but is not a great piecer. My Husqvarna #1 Plus has lots of wonderful stitches but the harp is too small. My Featherweight is great to take out to Stitch and Share for straight stitching but I can't quilt large quilts with it. My Singer 201 is a heavy duty fast stitcher for mending coveralls and making buttonholes with the old Singer buttonholer but won't do anything but straight stitch. If only they would make the perfect machine I'd buy a new one!
    Shelbie from the High County in Southern Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom View Post
    and Sunday I'm picking up the new member of the herd!!
    And what might this new child be called?

Me?? ... two machines ... had my basic Janome and kept it when I got the Janome 6600. It is there as a spare, and certainly lighter and smaller to take to classes than the 6600. Love them both though the bigger machine certainly is a nicer machine and definitely my preferred at-home model!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have 4 sewing machines but they each have a different job. My basic Baby Lock Decorator's Choice for piecing, the Pfaff GrandQuilter on the frame for quilting, a self threading Baby Lock Serger and a Baby Lock Coverstitch for hemming knits & silkies!
    Shannon

Gay
    Blog Entries
    I started with a Brother Galaxy 2, which only had a 4" hoop, and displayed design sections in black & white. As they improved with more features and larger hoops, I next bought a Br 3000, w/colour display and a 6x10"hoop. Both machines were pre-loved and served me well. When the 4000 model had been out a few years, one company was offering a very good deal, about 30% off, so I bought one and sold the Galaxy 2 to a cousin. The new one had a bit larger hoop and catered for more thread colours & features. Because that company doesn't have the square quilter's hoop I bought the Hoop-it-all to suit the 4000. I have a double garage which is now my sewing studio, and also houses my longarm and quilting frame, and the Brother 3000. So I do quilting, sewing and curtains in there, and the bigger embroidery machine stays inside next to the computer, so I can test out the designs I digitise, and embroider quilt blocks etc. This saves having to re-set up a machine for different projects all the time as well.

I am addicted to buying, I have too many machines. A couple are for decorating, cute ones, and a featherweight I just wanted to have, and an extra.
    Jo

Blog Entries
    As someone else said, it just happens. I was given my first machine as a gift over 20 years ago by a boyfriend. I kept the machine but not him. After I got married, my husband bought me gifts; a serger one year, an embroidery machine another year, a 9" machine on a small frame another year. A friend gave me her old Wow, and I bought a Singer in a cabinet at a garage sale, and another 9" machine from a friend.
    I have never purchased a machine from a dealer (not counting the serger that my hubby bought). The only machine that I don't use is the first one, from the boyfriend.

Blog Entries
    I have 7 machines. Mostly vintage singers with exception of my computerized quilt PFAFF. Each has there own features and strenghs (15 treadle, 15-91, 201-3, 285, FW).

I recenty learned to do basic repairs on them and it seems I always find them for around $20 or free. The art of sewing is lost on many! There is something about saving them that makes me feel good.

I recently purchased a Featherweight which I plan to use on rainy days in the RV while camping.

Blog Entries
    When one is serviced always have a machine to use. I set my machines in different parts of the cottage for different things. Juke on my long arm . Bernina ready for sewing any small quilt. Small portable machine now to take to classes.
    I also hand sew so machines wait for me to come back. I also have janome and brother which do not work correctly having been dropped but still run them occasionally.also hav vintage machines which also play with .
    I must admit I am single and live with 3 dogs who fall fast asleep with the running of the machines. They also snuggle while I play on the computer.
    Finished is better than a UFO

I'm a newish quilter and used to think exactly the same way. I quickly 'outgrew' my first Janome as the lack of 'needle down' drove me nuts. When I upgraded to a new Janome, it about paid for itself with the in-built thread cutter, lol. I can set the speed with the slider (with no foot control) which makes FMQ so easy - everything is controlled by your hands.

Having bought the first one in a half-price sale, I sold it for what I paid for it.

At a quilt show a few months ago, I saw a Pfaff Expression 4 demo. I was impressed not only by the throat space and IDT so I didn't need a walking foot, but the fact that there was an auto pivot feature. I can set it so that as soon as I stop sewing the presser foot lifts a little - a godsend for machine appliqué which I do a lot of.

I bought one from my local dealer a few months ago and the other week when I tried to FMQ on it for the first time, it skipped stitches. It's now back at the dealer and luckily I still have my Janome, which I take to class - the Pfaff is too big and heavy.

In short - until there's a machine that has all the features you want, has a huge throat, built in dual feed, yet is still light and easy to carry, people will probably need different machines for different things.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

I only started quilting a couple of years ago but had three machines by the end of the first year, a second hand Pfaff, a new one (bigger throat for FMQ) and a Janome Jem for classes. I have given the older Pfaff to my DSD after we did some sewing together and she loves it, so now I have two. That's probably how it will stay.
    Annie

Blog Entries
    for a long time i had (2) machines- my big machine---viking, with embroidery unit---and a small 1956 singer---the singer i took to classes, i didn't like hauling the viking around-
    and when the viking needed service i had a back-up to use...the viking (croaked!)
    and thank goodness for that little (old) stand-by singer- i still am able to sew a beautiful straight stitch while shopping for a new machine.
    used to have 3 or 4 brother's and a white too---for the kids, grandkids, friends to use when taking classes, working on projects---i wound up allowing each to be (adopted) by the family member who loved it the most.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I have two. One for home a Husky/Viking Diamond 850 and one I take to class or to the cabin, an 8 year old Kenmore. The Kenmore is my favorite. The Kenmore needed some work and long story short, 3 months later, I still don't have it back. (someone wasn't doing their job, then the cords got lost and the machine got damaged then they still were not taking care of it. I can't get it back till I pay for it, Im not paying for it till it is fixed right) I am thankful for the Viking. Don't know when I'll get the Kenmore back, if ever. Supposedly around the first of February. I am now considering getting another back up machine, just need to decided what and find it.

We have a bunch of machines. One serger, a Pfaff, Babylock, several Singer Featherweights, a couple of old small machines (don't know the brand), an upholstery machine, an antique tailor's machine (very small in a case), a Grasshopper, etc. etc. Love them all! Mostly use the Pfaff and Babylock sewing and embroidery. Also have a small Babylock to take to classes. It's like collecting paperweights, only they are larger!

Right now I have my Bernina,which is my main machine, a Janome I bought last year when my Bernina was being serviced, a 1952 Featherweight, I use it for paperpiecing. A beautiful redeye treadle (sits in my diningroom) and an 1865 hand crank. Plus I have given sewing machines to 3 Granddaughters and 2 machines each to 2 of my daughters.

Blog Entries
    I guess I can compare it to pots and pans, your needs change and your skills grow. I have a 11 year old janome 10000 - then when quilting became my primary interest, I bought a husky 875q - larger harp, auto thread cutting. I bought a few singer featherweights - I take one to classes. My goal is have one each for my grand daughters for when they set up their own house. I now have a singer sphinx treadle (a prepper convinced me to have one), and I love it. And then there was this cute one - well - at least I have stopped buying pots and pans!! Oh by the way, the Janome 1000 has taken up permanent residence in my dd's house. She may be on her way to become a quilter!
    Last edited by nhweaver; 01-19-2013 at 05:19 AM.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast