Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7

Thread: Why Do You Have More Than One Machine?

15 years ago I had one machine, I also didn't see the need for more than one. Long story short, I have 18 machines, most of which are straight stitch only. 3 Singer treadles and 6 heads that get swapped out. 4 Singer featherweights,2 black Singer 301s. Pfaff 1222E zig zag,Bernina 930 and the 1031(the one that started the herd), Husqvarna Viking Sapphire 875. I mostly use the treadle machines, they sew without being fussy about what thread etc... I use.
    I'm a quilter mainly.
    Sharon

Wow......everyone has so many machines......3 yrs ago I had 2 machines a singer and a very small brother....they didnt do a whole lot but they both sewed and got my work done for me......then one afternoon I was watching HSN and saw this embroidery machine that Ive wanted for so long...and it was close to my birthday so my husband said to get so I did and Ive had so much fun with it....sewing and embroidering for my grandkids......and this Xmas I got a serger another adventure for me this machine does everything for me its wonderful....I never dreamed in a 100 yrs that I would need a serger.......actually they used to scare me when I saw them in the quilt shops with all that thread lol.....and now I have one.......I guess were all spoiled and loving it.....so my reason for really having the (2) that I started with was if one didnt work I always had a back-up......and thats my story and Iam sticking to it lol......have fun sewing.......Trish

I have more than one so if one breaks or needs cleaning I can skip it and get my quilting done. I have a small Janome for traveling to guild and other places; A tredle incase the elect. goes out. all for quilt piecing and LA for quilting. Plus- my Grandmothers Singer machine; All work just fine.

Oh, My DH has 2 of his own to play with.

Blog Entries
    My 1st was a New Home portable until my DH came home and suprised me with a new Brother with 85 different stitches for me. 1st one, giving me trouble, got put in the attic. Watching a vintage machine thread, i wanted a treadle. Got a 1919 Singer treadle and restored it. Love it! I showed a pic to friends. One says, 'i have a machine you would like" She gave me a Serata hand crank from early 1900's. Love that one too! (i took it out on the front porch once when the elec was off. I pieced while 4 yr old dgd turned the hand crank...we had a blast!)Flew home when my mom passed. I was showing my dad pic of my treadle and he told me that he had grandma's treadle. It was in a parlor cabinet and i never knew about it. I asked if i could have it one day and he said, 'It's yours, you can take it.' WOW! How great is that? It is a Free No. 5 treadle. I called DH and told him to leave room in the trunk when he came. I also have an embroidery machine that i saved up for. I also got bit with the featherweight bug and have been looking. My father-in-law just found one for me and will be bringing it this summer. I will take that one to class to use. Other than that, i have 2 Janome sew minis that i bought my 2 oldest dgds about 5 yrs ago. I will be looking for better machines for them and pass the sew minis to the younger dgds when they are ready.
    HisPatchwork

I would have a room full of machines if I had the space and money. I had 7 and now pared down to 4 since I moved from Fl to Seattle. I had to let my vintage ones go. Still want that elusive Featheweight though. I have a computerized Babylock sewing, a Janome mechanical ( for heavy duty stuff) a Brother embroidery machine and Brother serger. They all have different uses. I am just starting to get in to quilting now so may be looking to get a better machine for quilting down the road. Combining embroidery on a quilt is my goal for this year. My grandiaghter is in to butterflys.

You have some good machines. I am still looking to get my 1st featherweight but at the right price. cannot believ what they are asking for them these days. My pal swears by her Bernina too.

I've got 12 machines (I think), but I didn't buy them all. I inherited some of them from my grandmother and great-grandmother.

1. Singer that my parents bought me back in the late 70's or early 80's - no longer works
    2. Singer that I bought myself in the late 80's or early 90's - still works for the most part
    3. Juki on a queen-size frame for quilting - bought 2 or 3 years ago
    4. Serger - bought 9 or 10 years ago
    5. Singer Featherweight - bought because it's cute (LOL!)
    6. Brother machine - bought a couple of years ago to replace #2 above
    7. Brother embroidery machine - bought a couple of years ago for embroidery only
    8. Singer 15-91 that I inherited from my GGM (missing parts)
    9. Singer 15-91 - bought off eBay - works like a dream
    10. Pfaff 7570 - inherited from my GM - nice machine, works great, but it seems "weird" to me (not as user-friendly as my others?)
    11. Another Pfaff - inherited from my GM - haven't used it at all
    12. Another Serger - inherited from my GM - haven't used it at all

As far as why I bought the ones I did, I like to have backups for my regular machines, and some are for specific purposes (quilting, embroidery, serging, basic sewing, etc.).
    Have a wonderful day! If you need to contact me, please use the e-mail address on my profile page. Sometimes I don't get notifications that I have a PM here. Please note that I'm usually unavailable on weekends, but I'll get back to you on Monday.

I love machines and I have way too many.
    Sewing (vintage) - Featherweight (221 and 222), Singer 128, 99, Dressmaker, a Universal and a Kenmore
    on the modern side a Pfaff, 2 Janomes and a BabyLock
    Sergers - Bernina and a Janome Coverstitch
    Quilting - Gammill with Statler Stitcher

I swear I am not getting anything else.

Blog Entries
    I have 1 Kenmore from 1977, 2 Elna sewing machines, and 1 Bernina embroidery machine and just couldn't give up any of them, they are like old friends and if one is on the fritz another one can be used. Also, I will sit up one of the machines to do a stitch where you have to adjust the tension and if I know I am not going to get it done very fast I will use one of the other machines for regular piecing so I don't have to keep changing all the settings.

Blog Entries
    i think i have 9 sewing machines and a long arm quilting machine total
    we can make our plans but the out come is in god,s hands nellie diaz

I just recently purchased my second machine - a mechanical Brother when my PFAFF was in the shop. I took the PFAFF in because of a short, that was the week before Thanksgiving, I still didn't have the machine back the middle of Dec, so I went out and bought a second one to use while the other ones was in the shop. I just recently got the PFAFF back from the shop!
    What happenedis the man was either on vacation for a while or had a lot of machines that neede fixing. He called me about the week befroe Christam (I had already bought the Brother) saying that I should have my machine back shortly as he had to order a foot pedal. He didn't call me back until the middle of January to tell me to come in and pick it up! He received the foot pedal that he ordered, but it was the wrong one, so had to reorder the foot pedal. I was glad I had bought the second machine. I like both of my machines, they each have their advatages and disadvatages.

I woul love to get a vintage machine as I heard they sew such perfect straight lines.

Blog Entries
    My answer is fairly simple I guess.

Because I can.

That is the same answer my husbands gives to anyone who asks him
    why he has so many computers.

When I told my husband last year that I wanted another combo machine
    he asked me why.

My answer: Because I can!

Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

I just have one, but I'm saving my money to buy a second one. I make quilts and sell them for extra money to buy extras,redecorate,emergency cash if an appliance decides to die. Having 2 sewing machines for me would be best in case one needs to go in for repair. My work won't get interrupted.

1: My Singer Stylist- recieved as a gift from my parents in the early 1970's. i sewed in home ec classes all thru jr high and high school.

2: janome 9700 sew/embroidery machine. Purchased in 2005 or 2006 after waking up from my Rip Van Winkle sleep wanting a new machine and wanting to get back into sewing after many years of dormancy from sewing.

3: janome DC 3050 bought in 2007 "for classes". I Never have taken any classes but great for hotel sewing.

4: janome 1200d serger bought in 2011.

5: singer 1953 model, in the cabinet. 2011 I brought it home from my late mothers' house. It had belonged to my Aunt who passed in 1999. I dont sew on it but I love owning it.

6: shopping and dreaming to upgrade from my 9700. Would love to have the Horizon. I warned my hubb about my desire to upgrade this year.

Sandy.
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

I have more than one machine because my friends like to borrow my sewing machine. So picked up a cheap one at a yard sale ($20) and fixed it up, and now I don't have to worry!

I have 2 2100 series Pfaffs. I have insomnia at times and would sew in the middle of the night. The middle of the night is when Murphy's law kicks in and you can't do anything about it. I'd just use the other machine. If it happened to be embroidery, I could just change whatever component caused the problem and pick up the last stitch.

Serger and cover stitch. Didn't like the wide foot on the combo machine.

Brother 1500 - Better straight stitch and larger harp for FMQ. The Pfaff will do it, but the noise of the presser foot drives me crazy. If you use the knee lift, the presser foot will go ah-ah-ah on lifting. I'm glad the 1500 doesn't make noises like beeps, bells and warnings.

Blog Entries
    I have four machines and two sergers. All inherited from my Mother except the Bernina Artista 630E that my sweet husband bought me for our anniversary 4 years ago. Love all of them, except the sergers.........Yuk! If I had more use for serger, I would replace those with user-friendly version!!

Oh, i forot that I also have a coverstitch. Number 7.

I did buy an $89. Janome (mechanical) from hancock a few years ago...hated it and gave it to my sister. I bought the 3050 (computerized) as a replacement.

Sandy
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome Decor 3050 / Janome 1100D serger
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

Why does one have more than one pair of earrings? Just because. LOL

You know I never thought about it but I currently have 4 machines although 1 is not really functional. I have mine (it suffered tornado damage and I'm currently trying to sell it on e-bay for parts). I now have my mom's and that is the one I'm using. I also have my grandmother's treadle machine - many dresses, quilts, drapes made on it. And I have my husband's grandmother's treadle machine - identical to my grandmother's. So now each of my girls can one of their great-grandmother's. I just hope they want them. Of course, they won't get them til I'm dead and gone so I guess it won't matter

Blog Entries
    I now have an emb only, sew only, fetherwt, serger, backup sewing/emb, a sewing at a frds house, just gave away a sewing machine.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 6 7