Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you like your machine >

Why do you like your machine

Why do you like your machine

Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 PM

I have a bunch of vintage machines, mostly Singers, but also a Pfaff, a Brother and another one I'm not sure what it is ... I have a treadle, and 3 featherweights.. I sew on all of them.. and I really love my vintage machines..

I also have a Bernina 830 that I bought in about 1975 that has been a dream machine.. never a problem with that beauty.. I also have a Bernina 1230 that I love love love.

My new machine that my DH bought for me is a Pfaff Creative Vision machine that does everything but slice bread. It is the most wonderful machine I have ever had my hands on.

My favorite?? The one I'm using right now.. Which would I save from a fire... oh man, they would have to come get me cause I don't think I'd leave a one of them.. Actually my favorites are my new Pfaff and the Berninas.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:15 PM

I have a Viking 6430 that I have sewn on for 32 years. Never any problems till I took it apart and couldn't put it back together. She will be going into the "Machine Doc." on May 2 to be put back together. I'm currently using a Signature that my neighbor put out for trash pick up. I got two from her that way... both work wonderful.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 PM

There are 5 sewing machines in the house.

Pfaff 2170 is my latest which I bought off eBay brand new in Nov08. Very intimidated since I was use to my old Pfaff 262 I bought brand new in 1968 and very much bonded it to. Joined sewing and embroidery club at LQS and first day out of the box me and the 2170 were bonded! I made a little sewing bag with two appliqued flowers on two separate pockets.

I love the 2170; I also embroider on it. In fact I run it doing embroidery while I sew on the 262 as you see in my avatar they are on the same sewing cabinet. The 2170 is light enought to take off to sewing classes in my rolling tote, while the 262 stays home bolted in the cabinet. I love the IDT on the 2170 while I ordered and use an all metal walking foot on the 262. The Pfaff 262 has an 8" harp and I have made one rag quilt on it for a twin bed. Got through it just fine. The 2170 only has a 7" harp. I still rely heavily on the 262 and it has embroidery stitches set by dials, a needle threader, a I can lock the last stitch.

I have also a Pfaff 130 which was manufactured in 1950. It sews like a charm. It is my very favorite for FMQ because it is so solid.

I have a Frister and Rossmann hand crank with the inlaid mother-of-pearl made in Berlin in the 1920's. It is great for piecing and it sews the most perfect stitch. I like using it out in the cabin where we only run a generator for electricity when necessary.

Also I use my mother's New England Queen treadle which is the very first sewing machine I ever attempted sewing on when I was just a child. Right now I am piecing log cabin squares.

As you can see I am a Pfaff fan since my own machine I bought brand new in 1968 will have my heart forever. The Pfaff CV 5.5 is a dream machine to me but I really don't need it. As for a machine with a bigger harp for quilting, the Pfaff Quilt Expressions 4.0 and the Viking model appeal to me as does the Janome Horizon-the newest one with the 11" harp. But I am not in the buying mode or mood right now so I will continue with what I have. I am happy;
Old 04-14-2011, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by katier825
Originally Posted by JCL in FL
I have a Viking machine and I paid a lot for it and I don't like it. What machine do you have and why do you like it? Would you buy it again?
What model of Viking do you have? What don't you like about it?
I also have a Saphire 850 but I think I got a lemon. It is four years old and I have had it in several times. I have made a few things FM but it has a tendency to jam and eyelash. I can go to town on my old Kenmore but not on this machine.If I am chain stitching it's ok but it seems the top threading jumps out if it's threading often and I have to rethread the top many times during a sewing session. I have an old Kenmore and I never had to rethread it unless I was changing color of thread. I break needles and I have never had a broken needle before I got this machine. It's very picky about what thread I use.I have a friend with a $200 Brother that runs so much better than this one. At first I thought it was just me getting use to it but I don't think so. It costs over $100.00 every time they look at it and frankly I'm disappointed. I want to love my machine.It's too old for them to take it back and I have lost confidence in Viking so I wouldn't trade in it on another one. I can't afford to go out and buy another one, this one wasn't cheap.

I have the Viking Sapphire 830 and love it. I quilt with it and decorative stitches on it. When I first got mine, it was an adjustment because it was so different than any machine I've ever used. My dealer offered unlimited lessons on it, so I brought it in a few times and learned from her how to do the common tasks I do. I think that made a big difference to me. I've also got a Featherweight that I do most of my piecing on. I do have a Singer 201 in a cabinet that is great, but I don't have anywhere to keep it set up, so it rarely gets used...it was a freebie, so I couldn't pass it up. :)
Old 04-14-2011, 08:28 PM

I have a viking, bought it in 1974, would not trade it for anything. I also like the fact it is not digital... It's old fashioned. Only had it in the shop one time in all these years. NEVER needs to be oiled, very little maintaince... well paid for it's self, I like the second gear for going over extra thick materials. very few needle brakages. No I cannot do embroidery and a lot of fancy things others do but It is great. It also has the three step zigzag that I like on denims... just been a great machine for ever lol.... :) yes I would buy one just like it again in this day and age. :) :) :)
Old 04-14-2011, 09:04 PM

Elnas !
I have a 6600 which is not my favorite of the two because I have an ancient little battered stella air electronic.
I dragged it around for years traveling. None of the other machines I have had sewed so straight, and easily almost by itself. It is not logical or reasonable. I know that!
JP
Old 04-15-2011, 12:44 AM

I love my little Kenmore. I know if I ever used a fancier machine I'd probably not want to go back to it but it suits my purposes fine.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:26 AM

I love all my machines. FWs for their perfect combination of beauty and utility, their perfect stitch, and even their SMELL. The Baby Lock Quest Plus has a 9" harp, built-in dual feed identical to the Pfaff IDT (I also have two Pfaffs), hundreds of beautiful stitches. It's so easy to learn and use. It's mostly metal, white, and the lighting and bed markings are crisp and so helpful. It's so quiet I used to keep checking that the bobbin thread wasn't out. My Bernina 440QE is so precise, powerful, and perfect. The foot control has the best feel of my machines. Bernina feet are so solid, precise, and get the job done. I love the extension table (slides on, no feet). The accessory box is superior to any other machine I know of for organization, seeing what's inside, and accessibility. I'd have a hard time choosing between those two. I also have an older Bernina that is all about power and precision and has 4mm feed dogs, which is great for tiny work.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:43 AM

I have Janome 6600 LOVE it. Also have Janome 11000SE for embroidery. Have been a Janome fan for 20 yrs.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:31 AM

I have a Pfaff 7550 (16 yrs old) and it runs great and has a walking foot that is built in. Also LOVE my Bernina Aurora 440QE - it is so sturdy and can sew through big thicknesses. It has everything I need and sews beautifully. Love, love both machines.