Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why do you like your machine >

Why do you like your machine

Why do you like your machine

Old 04-14-2011, 10:41 AM

What is IDT?

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
I lovelovelove my Babylock Espire (now marketed as the Symphonie). She is such a lady: quiet, runs smoothly, lots of pretty stitches, even stitches, not picky about fabric or thread, easy to handle, great throat size, good light, ONE STEP threader, aaaaahhhhh.

Used to be a Pfaff fan on account of the IDT but find that I do just as well with "Quilla."
Old 04-14-2011, 10:48 AM

I was curious about that also and found this:

http://youtu.be/ijQzDYfHeEs
Old 04-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
I love my Bernina 1230 and would buy it again. What I like about it -- always reliable and ready to sew, no tension problems ever, "hums" softly while it works, has needle/down, easy to adjust stitch length and stitch width, etc.

There are some additional features I'd like, such as auto-cutting of thread, a better memory, default to the last setting I put on the machine (rather than the preset factory setting), but I can live without all of those things as long as my baby remains so responsive to my every whim.......

I particularly like the sound of my machine. It's soothing!
Hi, I have the 1260 bernina and just love it. I like all the things you mentioned as well as the knee lift for the pressure foot. I don't think I could ever get use to the manual lift (hand) again. Mine is at least 20 years old, never had it in the shop, but I keep it well maintained all the time, frequent cleaning and oiling. The light on mine played out, replaced the bulb a couple of times, so the problem must be in the switch area. I just use an arm lamp behind it and it works fine. Like you said, as long as I hear that humming sound, I am fine....Mary
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM

I have a husqvarna Designer 1 which is great for general sewing and does beautiful embroidery....and have recently bought a Pfaff Select 3.0 with IDT for patchwork and really love the walking foot and FMQ but I really don't think it's too keen on King Tut thread...anyone else had issues with this thread ?
Old 04-14-2011, 11:16 AM

I have a Viking SE LE and love it hugely. There are hundreds of different types of stitches built-in, and it makes wonderful embroideries for quilting. Recently finished one for my daughter using the birth month flowers of her children and grandchildren, 10 blocks of them. I'm sorry you don't like your Viking.

Bobbie
Old 04-14-2011, 11:20 AM

What's the price range for the Janome? Ithink that's what I want for my first "good" machine. I've had problems with a Brother (feed dogs won't go up or down, stuck in the middle so sewing is impossible). My White is done
I quit using it this morning. All hand sewing til I save up enough for a better machine.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:39 PM

I love my Pfaff Quilt Expression. I bought it in 2002, Dec. Have had it cleaned throughly once. It always does what it is supposed to do and the accessories are in a container right in front of the throat plate. No searching around for the feet. It can be removed for free arm or the acrylic table when I need to quilt on it.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:43 PM

That really looks like a great system, kinda like a built in walking foot?

Originally Posted by RugosaB
I was curious about that also and found this:

http://youtu.be/ijQzDYfHeEs
Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kcferrel
I have been told that it helps to put the heavier speciality threads in the bobbin.
The 830 is an incredible machine, but (imho) probably too much machine for someone who is non-technical, yes, there is an incredible learning curve to this machine. Maybe you can trade down to a different model, I have the 635, amd very technical, and after 6 months feel I am getting a good feel for it, and hope to be able to move up to the 830 one of these days, but don't know that I can justify the cost for personal use!
Last summer I went to an all day class on the Bernina 830. It was amazing but it just did too much! I would never remember to use it to its full potential. Also it is so big and heavy. IMHO.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by g-maquilts
Originally Posted by kcferrel
I have been told that it helps to put the heavier speciality threads in the bobbin.
The 830 is an incredible machine, but (imho) probably too much machine for someone who is non-technical, yes, there is an incredible learning curve to this machine. Maybe you can trade down to a different model, I have the 635, amd very technical, and after 6 months feel I am getting a good feel for it, and hope to be able to move up to the 830 one of these days, but don't know that I can justify the cost for personal use!
Last summer I went to an all day class on the Bernina 830. It was amazing but it just did too much! I would never remember to use it to its full potential. Also it is so big and heavy. IMHO.
Yes, it is heavy and big but it stays home and you use another machine for traveling. It takes time to learn it all but sews wonderful and the embroidery is very impressing too!