Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You Quilt? >

Why Do You Quilt?

Why Do You Quilt?

Old 06-15-2013, 05:23 AM

I have always crafted, but sewing was my first love. 20 years ago the quilting bug bit and I had gotten more and more into it. Now quilting is my only love. I have always said quilting is my therapy, and it is. If I sit down in the evening to watch TV, I fall asleep if my hands aren't busy.
Sue
Old 06-15-2013, 05:24 AM

Sorry for the double post.
Sue
Old 06-15-2013, 05:44 AM

I've always had some sort of creative expression going on - from hand stitched doll clothes as a child, to making many of my clothes, to lots of counted cross stitch, to crocheting and knitting, to dabbling in various other crafts (always involving yarn, thread or fabric). Fascinated by color and design. Finally really got into quilting a few years ago and now I can't stop! My favorite part of the process is seeing the pieces come together into a beautiful design. Have finally acknowledged that it is the designing and piecing that I love, and that I just muddle thru the quilting part because that's what it takes to have it completed.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:57 AM

I love the color and creativity of quilting. I used to make my own clothes and my kids clothes too but the quilting bug bite and that is now a passion for me.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 AM

We lived with one GM and in Winter she went up to the attic to quilt. It was a gathering of her friends laughing and eating as well as quilting. Mom worked in a bank so GM taught me to sew on an old treadle machine. Majored in Home Ec in HS and College. My BFF{ we have been friends now for 70,years } back about 1980 said " Come with me to a quilting circle". I went and listened to the program but was a working single Mom of 4 so had little time for myself. I continued to go listen and learn and was a Charter member of Quilters Guild Acadianne Upon moving to Baton Rouge[my 2gs lived her now added 2 GD} I joined another Guild. Remarried in 2011, bought a house in 2012, and retired. NOW HE ENCOURAGES ME TO HAVE FREE TIME TO quilttttttttt.Found QB and love the Doll Quilts. That way I van create, make, and Complete a quilt. Hugs
Old 06-15-2013, 06:46 AM

I made quilts as a necessity, for family gifts,when I was younger. Then didn't sew anything for years as I went through medical school,started a practice etc. when I got breast cancer 7 years ago,my oncologist instructed me to " get a hobby and do it 15 minutes a day". This was to be a stress reliever and to give me another interest outside of medicine.(apparently I was very limited in my interests). I just retired and ,after the usual house work,gardening,spouse supervision,I get to quilt all day! It's fun,creative,the fabrics and patterns,interaction with other quilters are great!
Old 06-15-2013, 06:56 AM

I have always done some kind of handwork. I made doll clothes and then my own clothes. I made my first patchwork quilt out of scraps from all of my clothing making. I learned to sew on my mother's featherweight that she brought with her from Illinois when she married my father. When I graduated from high school my parents gave me a Capital sewing machine. I have up graded over the years to Berninas. I am not much for piecing but I can handquilt till the cows come home. My favorite quilt is a white on white or solid color etc. I also love cheaters cloth. When I get done handquilting it only another true quilter can tell that it was not pieced. I have several frames that range from lap size to queen size. In the last few years I have gotten involved with the Linus project. I have been making at least 21 quilts a month for them in the last few years. It gives me an excuse to keep buying fabric that I would have no excuse to purchase otherwise.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:00 AM

I need something to truly aggravate myself and quilting does just that! Seriously, I love playing around with colors the most. I love giving my quilts to family and close friends.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:08 AM

Simply Quilting and my daughter got me going.

My grandmother quilted and she made two quilts for us. I was not close to her so did not pick up anything from her.

My mother did not sew. A friend of hers had no daughters and she taught me to read a pattern and sew. (I still rememerber that first black courderoy skirt.)

I made the majority of my clothes until I became a Mom and them made the most darling outfits for my daughter.

Then she grew and did not want my stuff any longer!

Fast forward many years when daughter is off on her own. I began taping and watching Alex and her guests - that was a wonderful show and still beats anything on now. I would say to my daughter that when I retired I wanted to quilt. One day when she was home she said that it was nuts to wait and we are starting right now. We went to Sears and bought Kenmores and went to Joannes and started that day. She (the mathematical genius) figured out an Irish chain for me and off I went.

Years and a few machines later I quilt when I can (still working - sigh) and just absolutely love it. I think it is for many of the same reasons others have mentioned. Quilting and reading and voluteering are my hobbies and I cannot wait until I retire.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:32 AM

I quilt because....I love to quilt...it is my passion...it brings me to my happy place! I have quilted for over 35 years...sometimes more than others. Before quilting, I did other needlework, knitting, crochet, weaving, spinning, etc, but once I found quilting, that became my favorite creative outlet. So many possibilities making quilts, and quilted items. I love to be able to make quilts as a gift, as long as I know the recipient will want one. I do make several quilts a year to donate to Project Linus, and help at the 2 workdays a year that they have. I have owned a quilt shop...that was fun, but a lot of work, and always deadlines. I look forward to retiring, so I will have as much time as I want to quilt. For now it is mostly on the weekends.