Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You Quilt? >

Why Do You Quilt?

Why Do You Quilt?

Old 06-15-2013, 07:38 AM

All my young life my mom and grandmother quilted. I started sewing at nine years old and never stopped. I have always loved color and loved to create. I have a degree in interior design and a teachers certificate in Japanese flower arranging. I love to paint and do most crafts. My DM really started doing a lot of quilting when my DF died and she retired from nursing. As I saw all the lovely quilts she was making I just had to make my own and have never stopped. When I first started our choices of fabric was not very great but as the years passed and quilting became more popular the fabric was so much better and now we have so many beautiful choices. I don't know how many years more I will be able to quilt but I will keep going as long as I can.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:46 AM

What a great question!! As most others have said, it's a creative outlet for me. As an RN, my mind is in the 'left brain' mode at work so this exercises my right brain. I also love the color and texture of fabric; love the history of quilting. In recent years, I found that I really like figuring out a pattern which is also 'left brain' but that's okay. I can always benefit from the mental exercise. I like the comradery of fellow quilters and enjoy learning from them.

Jane
Old 06-15-2013, 07:51 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches View Post
I need something to truly aggravate myself and quilting does just that! Seriously, I love playing around with colors the most. I love giving my quilts to family and close friends.
Ha ha ha ha .... Oh my gosh you gave me a wonderful laughing spell over your answer. Thanks great way to begin the day. :~)
Old 06-15-2013, 08:15 AM

I quilt because quilts make me think of warmth and beauty. I didn't start sewing much less quilting until 2 years ago. With a Wal mart sewing machine and 1 beginner quilting class off I went. I now have a Brother 1500D and am quilting and embroidering away. All family and any friend that want one have one of my quilts. I also love making purses so I have many many different purses some very interesting. Ha Ha I am not a perfect quilter but I love it and sew at least 4=5 hours a day.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:26 AM

I NEED to create! And I mean that literally. I used to bake to fill the need to create, but since I have learned that I am allergic to wheat,sugar and most of the other good things I used to bake, I needed a different outlet for my creativity. The only problem, I am physically disabled and it is so painful to sew,well to be honest, it is so painful just to be alive. But, I need to create, so I sew when I can and enjoy the process. Even if the pain is too much to sew, I come on here for a few minutes, to read about quilting. It just is something I need to do.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:24 AM

I just love reading all the stories and why this hobby is one of those that just sticks with us and lives in our hearts. "omacookie", your story really touched my heart...what a wonderful experience! I have loved quilts all my life and have wanted to make one since I was 11 or so. I got as far as collecting fabrics, cut them into squares and then had no idea what to do with them.

When my first grandbaby was due, a friend from work helped me make my first quilt of sorts. One fabric on the front and one on the back & tied, with a prairie point border. I fell in love with the process and made a couple more for the next two grandbabies, but got a little more creative. Before I even knew machine quilting was possible, I did just that, with a little Janome Gem Gold, and loved the results. My 8 year old granddaughter still loves her "awnie" and still sleeps with it every night : )

When I retired 5 years ago, a friend remembered me talking about it and talked my mom & I into signing up for a class with her. I'm now on my 23rd official quilt, not counting the first 4 that I just muddled through without any knowledge. My mom is also hooked, so that one class was the best idea ever, thanks to my friend Karen. I gift most of them and have a special place in my heart for each and every one. Quilting gives me a creative outlet, lets me continue to utilize my arithmetic skills (I retired from accounting). I can design with EQ7, play with beautiful fabrics, and make something useful for my loved ones and those special people that just need an extra bit of love wrapped in a quilt.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:40 AM

I quilt because I love working with color and the touch and feel of fabric. I find that when I am quilting I am totally in the moment...thoughts come into my head and go out without stopping. I start to sew and the next thing I know hours have gone by. I have always been creative, somehow I am less fearful on the creative process when I quilt, than with other endeavors. So, I guess I quilt for my soul and spirit. I have a handful of friends I quilt with, and we have a great time together. That is another part I like.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea View Post
Quilting saved my life, literally. During a very bad time in my life I saw a quilt show on TV that inspired me to make a memory quilt for my children. The memory being me. You get the picture. Long story short, they loved it, encouraged me to make more and I'm still here. It gave me something to do with all the misplaced emotions and energies. I guess you could say I quilted away my worries and stress. Quilting replaced the prescribed medicines to keep me sane. I'm now prescription free and what some would call somewhat sane....LOL. Years later I read John Flynn's bio and he too battled with depression and his quilting and classical music help him through it. For those of you that don't know John look him up. It made me feel better to know that I wasn't the only crazy quilter out there!
I have found quilting helps with my depression too! So does music! I am glad there are others like me!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:23 AM

It keeps me off the streets and out of trouble!

It also keeps my brain working and stretches my creativity. Quilting allows me to express that creativity more than most other activities. I'm not the best "piecer" or quilter around, but it is fun and mentally challenging.

I chose quilting partly because I am 'geometrically challenged' and color impaired. The color part can't be improved - it's the way I was born - but the geometry involved in piecing quilt tops is gradually getting easier. Since I am naturally analytical and logical, it also makes great use of those qualities, though I do have my share of the "what was I thinking" moments! (Most are related to the geometry thing!)

Note that I am also one of those crazy people who chooses to do things that are difficult for them to stretch my brain! My motto is "Everything is easy once you know how!"
Old 06-15-2013, 10:42 AM
Power Poster

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this reason to quilt but it is a great way to keep your mind active!! As we get older there is more and more talk about keeping your brain from sliding downhill. so quilting is a great way to exercise your brain!!!