Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why Do You Quilt? >

Why Do You Quilt?

Why Do You Quilt?

Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 PM

I've always called quilting "my sanity saver" as it has been a wonderful stress reliever after putting in a full day at a very challenging job. I started sewing when I was seven (one of the older ladies at church helped me because my mom didn't sew and thought I was much too young to be messing around with sharp objects). At nine I got my first machine, mom got me a few supplies and told me to go and do what I needed to do. I made my first quilt at sixteen to use up all my scraps from my many clothing projects (I'm still trying to use up my scraps!) and started making baby quilts for my friend's little ones when I was in my twenties. I made more when my babies arrived when I was in my thirties and finally took my first quilting class after I joined my local quilt guild in 2000. I stitch every day, love playing with fabric, designs and patterns and find it very satisfying to have a finished product to show for my leisure time. My daughter says that when the day comes that I don't want to quilt, then she will know that there is something seriously "wrong" with mother and it will be time to find me a room in the local nursing home.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

i have been fascinated with quilts my entire life. retirement gave me the time to jump in and make some of my own.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:40 PM

I decided I wanted to learn to quilt when I found out that there's so much more to quilting than "my grandmother's quilts." Frankly, I just never like the old timey stuff. I accidentally found a quilting group on one of the old BBS's called GEnie (kinda like Prodigy) and this was the nicest group of people I had found in a long time. I started learning to make quilt squares just so I could be a part of their group. I joined fabric swaps and block swaps. Pitiful as my efforts were, no one ever complained. They just encouraged me. I found quilt magazines and then quilt shows really opened my eyes to the possibilities. Then GEnie was sold and the group sort of faded away.

I didn't find my way back into quilting until about 8 years ago. Piddled for a few years, but have become more serious about it over the past 5 years or so. I work slowly -- Don't see how you guys can turn out so many quilts so quickly. My only goal is to enjoy the process, learn something new and improve my skills with each new project.

So I guess I came to quilting because quilters are such nice people and stayed to play with the fabric. I don't quilt for profit, prizes or posterity. I do give away some quilts. And some to family members. But I don't expect to be remembered for my quilts (maybe not remembered at all). That part is irrelevant. I like making quilts and I like giving them away.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:43 PM

I enjoy quilting and all of the other crafts that I do because it is a way that I can show my creativity.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:09 PM

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread and realize that most of these stories could be my story. First garment sewing, then making whole cloth-tied "quilts" for the kids, watching Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts, going to Martha Pullen sewing schools meeting Kaye Wood and Alex, quilting workshops at Hancocks and LQS, admiring fellow teachers working on quilts, etc etc etc. Quilting is actually an escape into wonderland. Love the feel of fabric, the admiration of color and pattern. It's an outlet for creativity and self-expression.I've made tee shirt quilts but have never used garments for fabric. That is on my bucket list. Happy quilting. Now, can someone come and help me out with this messy sewing room?!
Old 06-15-2013, 02:10 PM

I quilt for lots of reasons.

Somedays I think I quilt just so I can buy fabric! That's my favorite part, picking out colors and imagining the possibilities.

I loved to sew my kid's clothes when they were young and couldn't imagine not sewing when they no longer wanted homemade clothes, so began quilting.

I have a high stress job and quilting is a break from the demands of it.

Having four kids and a DH, it was important to me to have something that was just mine. Otherwise I was afraid I would be consumed by their needs and completely neglect my own. It also gave me a quiet place to escape from the family when I really needed it. I could tell DH "I'm going to sew - you're in charge" and he was fine with it.

I am a practical person, so quilting allows me a hobby that results in a useful object. I need that or I can't see the point.

And I love the ability to create something that is one of a kind for those I love, a perpetual hug from me when they wrap it around themselves.

Different reasons for diiferent times, but all are reasons I have been quilting for more than 20 years and never grow tired of it.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:22 PM

This is a fascinating thread. Many of the reasons others have given for quilting apply to me as well, but an important one for me is the desire not only to be creative but to produce something functional. I have watched so many people accumulate too much "stuff" over the years (and then regret living in a cluttered and burdensome environment) that I cannot in good conscience make more "stuff" and give it to them. With quilts I am at least giving them something that can be used, and even if they do not swoon over my fabric or pattern choices, it will keep them warm on a cold winter's night. The usefulness component is vitally important to me.

And I love love love to be messing around with fabric...

Alison
Old 06-15-2013, 04:08 PM

Both of my grandmothers were quilters so I suppose you could say it's in my blood! I've always been an artsy/crafty kind of person and I tend to jump from hobby to hobby and I've only "seriously" been quilting a couple of years, but I made my first quilt when I was about 7 or 8 (with help from Gran, of course) and made a few other baby quilts randomly through the years.

I love the design aspect of it, and I love fabrics and colors, so it's a bit natural. And as someone else said, this is something I can make and give away and not feel like I'm just giving someone clutter.

I also feel like I'm helping keep my heritage alive. My parents and their siblings and also my sister seem to have missed the "creative" bug that has bitten me...aside from my grandmother's creations I grew up in a world of store-bought, pre-made everything. Soup came from a can, clothes came from a store, if something frayed you tossed it out. Then I'd spend time with my grandma and witness the magic of soup being created from scratch, clothes being made from scratch, and all sorts of things being made out of what I would have considered trash otherwise. So, I've taught myself how to cook, how to sew, how to make a lot of household things (soap, cleansers, bath mats, curtains...) and am a huge fan of the idea of "upcycling". I am young-ish (still in my 30's) and work full time so I do still buy a lot of pre-made things (clothes, for example...I still don't know how to make my own clothes) but some day I'll get around to learning how to do that, too.

And the neat part...I don't have kids but I DO have a niece and a nephew...I am glad that they are exposed to things made by hand. Maybe they will pick up some of these things some day too, maybe not, but the exposure certainly can't hurt. Meanwhile, when they visit they get to pick out a cozy quilt, their own bar of handmade soap to take home, and help make and eat food that (as my niece says) "is made from INGREDIENTS". That gives me some serious warm fuzzies. (Not that I am criticizing how my sis is raising the kids...she's a single mom on a VERY tight budget and does a great job with her kids in all the ways that really matter. She works her butt off and is an A+ mom in my opinion - I'm super proud of her.)
Old 06-15-2013, 05:16 PM

I love to quilt for all the reasons others have said but also since I retired, it is an outlet to meet new people and learn new things. I'm not very good at quilting but it is a challenge. I have an orphan top from the Guild that needed to be finished for charity. I quilted it which took me about a week and then was trimming one side and cut the backing fabric; so I had to rip all the backing off. Now I need to pick another backing for it and start over. It seems each project is truly a challenge for me and I suppose I need that as I worked for 40 years as an RN in critical care areas. They are challenging an high-stress so I guess I just have a need for challenges! I still love finishing a project ( haven't finished many LOL!) and seeing it all come together. I think the fabrics are so beautiful and colorful today when I go to the shops I'm like a "kid in a candy shop"!! Love it, love it, love it!!!
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by IrishNY View Post
I quilt for lots of reasons.

Somedays I think I quilt just so I can buy fabric! That's my favorite part, picking out colors and imagining the possibilities.

I loved to sew my kid's clothes when they were young and couldn't imagine not sewing when they no longer wanted homemade clothes, so began quilting.

I have a high stress job and quilting is a break from the demands of it.

Having four kids and a DH, it was important to me to have something that was just mine. Otherwise I was afraid I would be consumed by their needs and completely neglect my own. It also gave me a quiet place to escape from the family when I really needed it. I could tell DH "I'm going to sew - you're in charge" and he was fine with it.

I am a practical person, so quilting allows me a hobby that results in a useful object. I need that or I can't see the point.

And I love the ability to create something that is one of a kind for those I love, a perpetual hug from me when they wrap it around themselves.

Different reasons for diiferent times, but all are reasons I have been quilting for more than 20 years and never grow tired of it.
Hey...You must be in my head!!! Only difference is two, not four kids!!.....Different reasons, for different times...and I too would rather be at the lake!!