Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
why does Jenny do this? >

why does Jenny do this?

why does Jenny do this?

Old 06-24-2014, 06:15 PM

I used the mat for a long time, and now it reallly shows - the same areas being used over and over have developed a groove that the thread fibers now get stuck in when I'm cutting in those areas again. The line is no longer very accurate for a good cut because it has widened due to continued use. I'm trying to adjust to using the ruler more.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 PM

If you notice Fons & Porter's mat does not have lines. It was just mentioned on their show on Saturday. Many people flip them over to the other side after years of cutting on them and then there are no marks. Both sides are self healing so use the other if you don't want the lines. I use mine to line up things but use the ruler for measurements. I think it is whatever works for you. Either way the quilt police will not come after you.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:46 PM

I think like everything you have to make the decision that is best for you. I use both the lines on my mat as well as the lines on my ruler. Have done this for years and works for me.
Old 06-24-2014, 06:55 PM

Just to clarify why some of us don't use the markings on the cutting mat......one would end up with deep cuts at each even number, whereas when you use your ruler the cutting line is more likely to be at different spots on the mat. At least that's what I think!

Originally Posted by luvrazz View Post
I was taught and I am sure many others were too, that you never use the marks on the mat to cut your pieces, always use your ruler. Well I have watched several of Jenny's tutorials (MSQ) and sometimes not always but sometimes she uses the marks on the mat. Don't get me wrong I love her and all she does for quilters, but why does she do this? One of the things I love about her is that she does not intimidate new quilters.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:18 PM

This is an interesting topic. I never even thought about just using the ruler - I use the mat markings to line up my ruler to make sure it's straight. My mats, ruler and cutter are all from the same brand and the smaller mat came in a kit.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Billy'swife View Post
I'm a "free quilter" and I'm so glad I have the liberty to do what feels right and works well for me! I use my mat markings most of the time and my ruler markings on occasion. I think I even cut the "wrong" way! Oh well, I love what I do and that's all that matters to me!
I agree Billy's wife, I do what I can do I know I'll never be perfect there is only 1 perfect, so long as I like what my finished quilt looks like I am happy. I like Jenny's shows as they show my the basics of where I'm heading and then it's up to me to strive to be better.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 PM

That's what I do, too.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:14 PM

Well personally, I love Jenny, and she does make things easy to do - what's wrong with that? If you don't like how she does something, then don't watch her tutorials or do what she suggests - do it the way that suits YOU (if the shoe fits, wear it).

I don't understand how this discussion has gone on for 7 pages, when a few days ago, someone was harping about how Joann's did their coupons and a moderator went in and deleted it because of 'negativity'!!! This one needs to be deleted, way too much negativity here!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 09:21 PM

Good point about the lines getting cut over and over again and widening.

I don't think the OP dislikes Jenny Doan. She's just asking why she does it in a way that many of us were told not to when we were learning. I'm only seeing opinions in this thread-not negativity.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:40 PM

Well as they say, there's more than one way to eat a Reese's! I think this shows that you can do what works for you and still have a quilt that turns out just fine. I like hearing about these different methods, sometimes I find a way that works better for me.