Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM

I may be a fabric snob but Walmart fabric is out of the question FOR ME and JoAnn's isn't much better. For the amount of time and money spent and hoping that what I create will last a long time, I choose a true quilt store. That being said, I usually will make the treak to Lancaster PA where most of the fabric there is in the $6 range, true QS quality fabric. I'm headed out tomorrow to Berkholders, 25% off and their clearence is down to 1.75 and 3.00, for quality fabric.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 05-24-2011, 10:46 AM

I shop the LQS because I know that the fabric is of great quality. If I am going to put a lot of my time and effort into making a quilt, I want to use the best. Even if it means I don't make but a few quilts in a year. And I have purchased expensive machines and why would I want to use lesser quality fabric/thread.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:00 AM

I prefer to shop through a quilt shop because the fabric is better quality. Mostly I shop online because I search for sales and clearance specials. I can't afford $10 and up per yard for quilting fabric. I try to look for good values, but top quality. I figure if I'm spending that much time making something special, I want it to last through hard use or frequent washings if given to a child or baby.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:04 AM

I shop my LQS because they always have bargains. They also carry a line of flat fold fabrics which usually are last years overruns from the fabric companies. They run around $5 a yard, For backings they work out well, they also have a sale corner where most everything there is 30% to 50% off regular price.
Fabric ages longer than that in my stash. grin
Old 05-24-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i prefer to shop online then go to any stores because i can always find cheaper prices or better quality for the same price online.
I'm realizing that as well, it the fabric usually gets here quickly!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:09 AM

Personal service
Smaller
Sometimes a better selection, generally easier to find what I need
I know the ladies there and they have a good eye for color and pattern
Social time
New ideas
Opportunity to meet up with friends

I really like my LQS.

Cheers, K
Old 05-24-2011, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by stephaniequeen
I have been to several quilt stores and the fabric is usually pricey. So with that in mind, why go to a quilt store when you can go to JoAnns or Walmart??
If you have to ask that question I'd say the answer is you should shop at JoAnn's & Walmarts. If you can't tell the difference in fabrics then it sounds like J & WM is just fine for you. I'm not being snotty here, just stating the facts. My dh loves fine wine - I could care less. Mogan David sips just fine - lol. The better the wine gets the worse it tastes as far as I'm concerned, but I'm no wine snob. But I do love fine fabric. So, some people put more importance in certain things and maybe fabric is fine with you, where ever it comes from. I can spot not great fabric from a mile.
I made a lovely quilt once - one of my first. It was a muslim foundation pineapple quilt. I found a group of gorgeous fabrics at my LQS. But I'm a scrappy girl and needed more interest, so was in JoAnn's and found the color I needed with different prints and I bought enough to make a bed skirt. All the Joann's fabric faded and just shredded to bits. That bed skirt lasted for 2 years, that was it. I'm afraid to use that quilt now. The good fabric looks perfect, not so my renegade fabric. I do buy online. I'm not a matchy, matchy type person. I think like Bonnie Hunter, the more different fabrics the more interesting the quilts - and boy are my quilts interesting. So, it matters not if I mis read a color or pattern. I shop lots in my LQS - I love them. I'm fortunate, I am still working, no kids at home and I buy what I like.
With places like thousandsofbolts, whittles,quiltfabriccloseouts, and ebay, there are just a ton of places selling quality fabric for less. And some of them are small business owners also.
Judi
Old 05-24-2011, 11:39 AM
Power Poster

We need to support the LQS or they will go out of business. Unfortunately, the ones near me have closed, and now that we have moved I haven't located one locally. When a friend of mine and I had more time (and money) we went to several quilt shops further away (she doesn't mind driving) and at several we found great fabric and great sale fabric. One in particular, had a bin of fabric for $2.99/yd - same fabric as on the sales floor, but they were just getting rid of it to make room for more fabric. Besides the bargains, I found some fabric that called my name, and the owners are people who work there are a wealth of information, and always helpful.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 AM

They usually have rulers and specialty supplies that other walmart and JoAnn's don't.
Old 05-24-2011, 11:46 AM

Quality pure and simple. If I am going to put all the time and effort into making a quilt I want the best quality fabric possible. I have never been impressed with Walmart and JoAnn's fabric.