Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-23-2011, 04:57 PM

I get ideas and inspiration looking at the samples in the LQS.

I also like to buy kits as I am a new quilter and still learning how to pick coordinating fabrics.

Joann's is great for backing fabric, but my tops usually come from a LQS.

Elise
Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM

Can get so great ideas just looking around in the store.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:02 PM

To support the local economy if for no other reason.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:13 PM

I LOVE my LQS! I love the atmosphere, the men and women who work and quilt there, who will help anytime with any project and actually take the time to make me feel like a valued customer and friend. I love the fact that they all pitch in when there's a project to be started or coordinated; I've seen everyone drop what they were doing (clerks and customers alike) to help a stranger find what they needed or to offer advice or help when there's a problem to be solved.

Yes, their fabrics are more expensive than Joanns but they are also usually better in quality. Not that I've never bought from Joanns, and I nearly always buy batting there. But on the whole my LQS is so far superior in both fabric selection and service that there's just no real comparison.

I gladly pay extra for the experience of purchasing fabric. I realize not everyone can do so, but with two incomes and no children my husband and I are in good position to continue to help local businesses whenever we can. Especially when they're more fun! :)
Old 05-23-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
Good service and friendly people ready to help. All the employees are quilters. The sewn examples are gorgeous. The selection of Civil War prints is stupendous. The LQS has classes and Blocks of the Month that interest me. I can park 10 feet from the front door and I don't have to walk half a mile back to the fabric department.

The overall shopping experience is just more pleasant and easier at my LQS than at Walmart or Joann. :)
Same here!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:58 PM

I go to look at the new things. They have great selection of quality fabric. Love to support my LQS.. I usually go to lancaster and buy tons there. their quilt shops are great. Good prices and their sales are the best. Combined with low prices you can't go wrong. I shop Joann's only for notions. why not I get a coupon for that sort of thing and can't go wrong buying a ruler for 40/50 off.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:04 PM

I go to a LQS because they have a much larger selection of100% cotton fabrics. When I need a certain color, I generally can't find it at Hancocks, the only fabric shop we have here. There are several quilt shops within 75 miles, so which ever way we are headed, DH lets me stop and shop. He stays outside and smokes.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:14 PM

I enjoy shopping at quilt shops,and they are pricey,but I often buy sale fabrics. I like to support local stores,too. It's so fun to touch the fabrics and browse through the selections. I have bought online and had good experiences there also.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Quilt shop tends to have better quality fabric and/or the reproduction fabrics that I like.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
i prefer to shop online then go to any stores because i can always find cheaper prices or better quality for the same price online.
Me too and it's fun shopping in your jammies while having your morning cup o' joe.