Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Kas

The owner of my closest shop is owned by a quilt guild member. She would spank me if I didn't come in! I love to fondle fabric and if it is rough, I won't buy it unless I just have to have it because it is the only fabric that will fill that last spot in a quilt. And colors are hard to judge on a computer screen. Many fabrics in my stash are there because it looked on the screen like it would work in a project, but was just not the color I thought it would be. I do have lots of stuff from Joann, but that fabric (except for flannel) seems to be stiffer or too thin and loosely woven. Not to mention that it is almost as expensive as the lqs stuff and they don't give you a punch card like my lqs, either.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:37 PM

I have been shopping more on line lately , but none of the Jo-ann's or Walmarts( or at least in my area) have any "inspiration" ie finished pieces that are displayed. SOme of the Jo Ann' s that had Viking dealers has some just enough to show a sample of the machine.
I remember when fabric stores ( including Jo Anns) all had inspiration pieces , quilts and clothing!!
Old 05-23-2011, 06:40 PM

I love to feel the fabric -LQS is good for that - but I buy fabric where ever I can find a good deal & quality - not a fabric snob
Old 05-23-2011, 06:44 PM

I normally can't afford the fabrics at my LQS, but they have a LA and do my big quilts for a reasonable price. They are staffed by great people and can give excellent help if needed. In November this past year, I had a quilt top finished and needed quilted for Christmas. Of course time was tight, as was her schedule. DH was on the transplant list at the time and could get "the call" at any time. The lady doing the quilting was awesome and did my quilt ahead of others so I could get the binding done and have it ready for Christmas, just in case the call came and I wouldn't have time later. We didn't get the call till January, but I can't tell you what it meant to get service like that. You don't find that at Walmart or Joann's.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:09 PM
Power Poster

I only buy David's Textile fabric from Walmart. The quilting cottons there just aren't to my taste, too printy. I buy most of my fabric online. I can always find an online sale, cheaper prices then JoAnn's, Hancocks, or Hobby Lobby.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:46 PM
cjr

LQS have quilts made up on display. Mass merchadisers do not
Old 05-24-2011, 01:52 AM

I go to both Joanns and the LQS. I like to go to LQS to see the samples that they display for ideas and inspiration and to pick their brains. One of the LQS that I go to has most of their fabric for $6 or $7 a yard. And a lot of the time you can get a coupon for a dollar off per yard. The fabric that they carry is last years fabric and that is why it is so cheap. Batiks are a little more.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:54 AM

Quality fabric and thread are why I go to a LQS. Help and advice is nice, too. A "line" by a particular designer is also nice to find there. I do buy muslin, batting, and notions at Joann's where the staff do not use rotary cutters hence always cut fabric crooked. I always buy 1/4 yd. extra at Joann's if I need a specific amount.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:00 AM

I can find fabrics at the LQS that i can not find at a Joanns. I also find the fabric is thicker. I use backing from Joanns or Martins and find I like the curtain fabric that they sell at Martin fabrics for my backings. I like doing theme quilts and the LQS has what I need..like Wizard of Oz, I love Lucy, Alice in Wonderland..etc..
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 AM

I go to my LQS for all the wonderful classes they have, for their expert advice, for the notions and machine parts that fit my machine, for the fabulous fabrics and because after all these years they have become my friends. I do buy some fabric at Joann too for certain projects, but I enjoy my time at my LQS, A Different Touch in Chesapeake, VA.