Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And this is why I hate following a pattern >

And this is why I hate following a pattern

And this is why I hate following a pattern

Old 01-24-2016, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

I would say you should NOT be using a scant 1/4" with this but the full 1/4" I see floating points on all your units with the blue diamond. Those points should be coming flush with your seam line once assembled. Another option is to make the units and trip down so all points are only 1/4" from your raw edge. The unfinished long side of your blue diamond units should measure exactly the same as your square in a square unit. The unfinished short edge of your blue diamond unit should measure exactly the same as your unfinished square on point corner units.

IMHO I would only do a SAS quilt if it was paper pieced.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 01-24-2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:39 AM

I agree with Feline Fanatic. Paper piece this puppy. Here is Quilter's Cache pattern. http://quilterscache.com/S/StormAtSeaBlock.html
Old 01-24-2016, 11:02 AM
Power Poster

Paper piecing is a good idea for this pattern. Also I would double check your seams:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...ce-t89997.html
Remember that your seam allowance can change with fabric and thread combinations. I just started a quilt and one of the fabrics is a bit heavier than other quilting cottons. I didn't check my seam before I started & after assembling the first block found that it was in the wrong spot for my thread/fabric combo. I moved the needle over one more click & it was perfect.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:23 AM

That's gorgeous!
Old 01-24-2016, 11:28 AM

I agree with the suggestions to paper piece this quilt. You will be much happier with the results.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:40 AM

I may not be understanding correctly, but I am understanding that you printed the pattern templates from an online source. If this is so, sometimes in the process if printing, the pattern pieces are not true to size. I wonder if this is your problem.
Old 01-24-2016, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
I decided to try the "storms at sea" quilt. Found a template online, printed it and cut out All my fabric, sewed the first block together using a scant 1/4 inch seam and came out with this (notice the fabric in the middle row does NOT line up with the end of the grey fabric)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540984[/ATTACH]

To say I was ticked is putting it mildly.

So, knowing the problem is the white fabric around the blue diamonds, I cut out bigger weird triangles and ended up with this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540985[/ATTACH]

This looks much better except I realized that the grey fabric around the white squares cuts off the tips of the squares. So now I know that the grey triangles are too small as well.

And the measurements are annoying - 2 5/8 of an inch ... next time I decide to follow a pattern, I'm just going to round everything up and trim afterwards ...

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting all over again - at least I have lots of fabric left.
If you decide to paper piece, here's a link for info on it.
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...sea-quilt.html
Old 01-25-2016, 05:25 AM

Our guild does a lot of charity quilts with members contributing blocks each meeting. Its very apparent that everyone has their own STYLE of measuring and stitching so we had an eye opening demo of what a SCANT 1/4 seam means and how it is necessary for a lot of commercial patterns.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:31 AM

There are also thick plastic templates to use to rotary cut with for accuracy. This quilt is on my bucket list, too, and I plan to use those templates when I get to it.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:48 AM

I feel your frustration. When I made this pattern I too had problems matching up the points. I ended up paper piecing the blocks and was happy with the results. I know there are templates out there that will help but they were not available at the time I made mine. I have EQ7 so making the paper pattern was not a problem and I also used a light table to line up the fabrics on the reverse side.