Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
And this is why I hate following a pattern >

And this is why I hate following a pattern

And this is why I hate following a pattern

Old 01-25-2016, 02:32 PM
Power Poster

I bought Deb Tucker's rulers for the Diamond Rects and Square-in-a-Square2. I love her rulers and they make the blocks soo easy and exact.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:10 PM

This is one that I am going to do as well. I have a paper piece pattern that I printed out several years ago, but since I have become a fan of Deb Tuckers rulers, I can make the pieces and have them be much more precise. I absolutely love the blue and white palate, but wonder what it would look like in black, white and red?
Old 01-25-2016, 04:01 PM

When doing my SAS I used the templates since I've never tried paper piecing. When pinning points together I was more concerned with lining up the points than the 1/4" seam allowance. I had to remake a few blocks that were just too far off to fudge together. I don't recommend "rounding and trimming" with this block as you will lose your points.
I'm glad to are having better success with PP and not wasting all your precut fabric.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:14 PM

Here is the first 3/4 of the block ... I'm tired LOL and don't want to do the last row! IT'S PERFECT!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541098[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails img_0394.jpg  
Old 01-25-2016, 08:27 PM

I feel your pain! I started a SAS for my DD and decided to use a pieced block that I'd done before in a sampler quilt. Got everything cut out and started piecing units and realized that it would NOT work the way I envisioned because the longer diamond sides were repeated on all 4 sides & it caused me to lose the curved illusion. So I "unsewed all pieces, recut to get the extra needed and now need to force myself to start again--some give me a shove!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:26 PM

Default Storm at sea

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
Here is the first 3/4 of the block ... I'm tired LOL and don't want to do the last row! IT'S PERFECT!!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]541098[/ATTACH]
Good for you! What an improvement!
All the suggestions were helpful for me and your corrections helped as well
Old 01-26-2016, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by ctyankee View Post
ManiacQuilter2 -- your quilt is scrumptious!
I wanted to say the same thing!!! It's over the top gorgeous! You should finish it.
Old 01-26-2016, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by MarionsQuilts View Post
I decided to try the "storms at sea" quilt. Found a template online, printed it and cut out All my fabric, sewed the first block together using a scant 1/4 inch seam and came out with this (notice the fabric in the middle row does NOT line up with the end of the grey fabric)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540984[/ATTACH]

To say I was ticked is putting it mildly.

So, knowing the problem is the white fabric around the blue diamonds, I cut out bigger weird triangles and ended up with this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]540985[/ATTACH]

This looks much better except I realized that the grey fabric around the white squares cuts off the tips of the squares. So now I know that the grey triangles are too small as well.

And the measurements are annoying - 2 5/8 of an inch ... next time I decide to follow a pattern, I'm just going to round everything up and trim afterwards ...

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm starting all over again - at least I have lots of fabric left.

MY SUGGESTION: Get Deb Tucker's pattern, which is called "Smooth Sailing" (a stress-free Storm at Sea pattern) - and is designed to use Deb's Square 2 and her Diamond Recs tool result in pieces that fit together perfectly, with NO STRESS....Love her rulers!................I have every one of her rulers - use them all, and have never had an easier time getting things right since I got them.
Old 01-26-2016, 05:00 AM

Your PP block is great! Thanks to your question, when this project moves to my "do-list", I will paper piece!
Old 01-26-2016, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

I'm so glad you figured it out. Not all patterns are perfect, nor the instructions.