Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends? >

Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Today is one son's 33rd birthday and recently I saw /found his baby quilt made of a mix of fabrics. Guess what == the cotton/poly turquoise fabric was still bright and beautiful. The cotton blocks were only held together by threads. It was a hhhhmmm moment . :shock: :shock:
Old 08-01-2011, 04:53 PM

double post
Old 08-01-2011, 04:57 PM

That's a great question. I don't know, either.

I use what I like and like what I use! lol
Old 08-01-2011, 05:39 PM

I thought using a black polyester/cotton blend would be fine with 100% cotton. Then after I'd pieced and pressed a few blocks I noticed the black sashing looked way too short. Thought it was my cutting, so cut some more 9 1/2" strips. pressed them with steam on the usual cotton setting and they became 9 1/4" ! Lost 1/4" on that short strip!

My fault that I didn't know about using different temps but I was told mixing the two fabrics was alright! *sigh*

No polyester for me again!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:07 PM

No quilt police here either. If I put good money out on quilt shop cottons, I like to be consistent with the fiber content throughout the project.

I make many charity quilts and quilts for family and I have mixed fibers with good results. I believe in using what I have especially now I don't have a fabric shop in town.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM

I find that with the very dry air around where I live, synthetic fibers like polyester will make a lot of static cling. For that reason I don't wear clothes with synthetic fabrics, since static cling will give me a headache. I use only cotton in my quilting for basically the same reason. I also dislike how polyester tends to pill after awhile.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:20 PM

In my experience:

When preparing applique I find cotton turns and holds a crease much better than blends/polyester. Synthetics fray more but hold color better. Dog hair likes synthetics. Woven synthetics tend to slip and slide more when seaming than cottons.

In case of fire, cotton burns to ash and synthetics melt into sticky globs...
Old 08-01-2011, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

cotton is warmer for quilts and feels better against the skin. there are stretch/melting/stiffness issues with other fabrics.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Kitsie
I thought using a black polyester/cotton blend would be fine with 100% cotton. Then after I'd pieced and pressed a few blocks I noticed the black sashing looked way too short. Thought it was my cutting, so cut some more 9 1/2" strips. pressed them with steam on the usual cotton setting and they became 9 1/4" ! Lost 1/4" on that short strip!

My fault that I didn't know about using different temps but I was told mixing the two fabrics was alright! *sigh*

No polyester for me again!
Had you washed and pressed this fabric before you cut it?
Old 08-01-2011, 06:59 PM
Power Poster

For applique, all-cotton fabric is easier to work with than poly or poly blends. The cotton creases easier and holds a crease longer, plus cotton frays less around the edges.

For piecing, poly is more slippery than cotton, making matching complex patterns harder.

If you are making a quilt you want to last a very long time, it's a good idea not to mix cottons with polyesters. This is because polyesters do not fade over time. Cottons do fade. You really want all the fabrics to either fade together or not fade at all; mixing them can create quite odd-looking results down the line.