Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends? >
  • Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

• Why the prejudice against polyester and poly/cotton blends?

Old 08-02-2011, 01:15 AM
    Power Poster

there are (traditionalists) who would ... have heart attacks if they new so many of us use polyester thread too---some people get one thing in their head---and decide it is (the one and only) and anyone who does a bit different---well- boy the nose can sure go in the air....
    sometimes i wonder how they actually reached adulthood---with their narrow-minded- tunnel vision.
    but grow they do--and they pass on their beliefs- without ever actually knowing if there is a better way...or a better fabric...or a better thread...or a better batt...if it is what they were taught in the beginning- it is THE ONLY WAY!!! in their minds...
    seems they are also the loudest---quickest to spout off ...self rightous...their way or the highway...
    my quilt i made using corduroys, velvets, other mixed fibers ... one of those who (know all) informed me it's not even a quilt---since it is not 100% cotton...and you sewed it with WHAT???OMG...
    funny- it looks like a quilt- it has 3 layers, top, batting,back...binding...hmmmm
    sorry-
    can you tell---i don't get along well with some....
    Old 08-02-2011, 01:20 AM

One very important (to me) fact about cotton/poly blends is that they do not stand the test of time. I have a cherished quilt that my grandmother made me for high school graduation. It is a drunkards path and she made it 2 colors. Solid white and solid blue.. of cotton/poly blends. The whole quilt started to shatter about 10 years ago. For those who do not know.. shattering of fabric is when the fabric just splits out of the blue. so now my lovely quilt looks like it was attacked by a box cutter. I have quilts that she made in the 40's that look like new.. this one was made in the 70's and looks MUCH worse.
    Old 08-02-2011, 02:44 AM

Besides many of the problems mentioned already I don't like to sleep under polyester. It makes me sweat and I feel like it doesn't breathe, sort of like sleeping under plastic.
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 AM

If you sew with poly. on cotton, it will eventually cut through the cotton material.
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:36 AM

Been making quilts for 38 years. Poly and blends pill after a while and the woven poly blends wear out, maybe a consequence of fibers pulling loose and pilling?

The blends have a slick, glassy feel to them. I want to wrap up in a quilt and have it feel good on the skin. Poly doesn't make the grade.

However, there are no quilt police. (Those self-appointed have no authority, else they'd have a badge). I use whatever I have, only keeping in mind how the quilt will be used. Most wear out sooner or later and I really doubt QS fabrics will outlast other cottons. Its all fun from my end.
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:47 AM

i agree with redmadder nothing lasts forever so do what you want or have to work with no quilt police at my house
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:48 AM

My husband's grandmother, in the later years of her life, made ONLY double polyester quilts. I inherited some of those tops. They are a trick to put borders onto, and then the only way to finish them was to tie them. But I will say that regardless of the abuse heaped upon them, they hold up, are still vibrant with color, and when we lived in the very cold mountains of Idaho, they really did the trick in keeping us warm. While I doubt I will ever make a quilt using this type of fabric, these quilts from MaMa are a wonderful reminder of a woman who loved fabric, color, and design.

So yea...there are no quilt police, do what suits you...and enjoy!!
    Old 08-02-2011, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
    there are (traditionalists) who would ... have heart attacks if they new so many of us use polyester thread too---some people get one thing in their head---and decide it is (the one and only) and anyone who does a bit different---well- boy the nose can sure go in the air....
    sometimes i wonder how they actually reached adulthood---with their narrow-minded- tunnel vision.
    but grow they do--and they pass on their beliefs- without ever actually knowing if there is a better way...or a better fabric...or a better thread...or a better batt...if it is what they were taught in the beginning- it is THE ONLY WAY!!! in their minds...
    seems they are also the loudest---quickest to spout off ...self rightous...their way or the highway...
    my quilt i made using corduroys, velvets, other mixed fibers ... one of those who (know all) informed me it's not even a quilt---since it is not 100% cotton...and you sewed it with WHAT???OMG...
    funny- it looks like a quilt- it has 3 layers, top, batting,back...binding...hmmmm
    sorry-
    can you tell---i don't get along well with some....
    Enjoyed your comment .. my thoughts exactly!
    Old 08-02-2011, 04:02 AM

Thank you for asking this question. Believe it or not, I was coming onto the board today to ask a very similar question. I have a bunch of nursing uniforms that are poly/cotton blend that are wearing out. I don't want to just throw them away, as that seems so wasteful, but I thought most quilters would die before putting that type of fabric in a quilt. So know that I know it won't totally ruin anything, I am ready to cut them up. Now, next question - what on earth do I do with them as they are all the same color??????? Virg
    Old 08-02-2011, 04:16 AM

A dear friend made each of my children quilts when they were children. She made us a queen sized. I have them, they are unusable because the polyester fabric disentegrated. There are just rags in large areas. They are unfixable. So sad.