Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Width of Sashing >

Width of Sashing

Width of Sashing

Old 01-20-2011, 10:40 PM

I would most definitely NOT sash it. I would put a 1 inch dark border and then a wider border around the outside (maybe 3-4 inches). I completely love the secondary patterns you get when you put the blocks together.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by AnnaK
Check out this string quilting page. It is a primer but has pictures of different settings and looks. I like it without the sashing best. Good luck. http://www.quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml
Great link! So many possibilities. . .

Perhaps balance the design by moving the blocks to make a layout of 4 X 6 squares with no sashing and having 2 large diamond squares (4 block unit) at the top and bottom. Then a narrow medium color border border - red??? - then a darker border.

Sometimes the only way I can figure out sashing and borders, is to audition several colors of fabric, take pictures, and one will stand out. Your quilt will be beautiful however you choose to complete it!
Old 01-20-2011, 11:22 PM

I agree, butt them together, add a 1.5" "stopper" in a dark color then add your border. Have you thought any of doing a piano key border? It could be interesting.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:58 AM

your quilt is very beautiful...where did you get your pattern/instructions?...i would love to make the same pattern after i finish my current quilt...
Old 01-21-2011, 05:08 AM

It looks great "as is". If you need it bigger, add more of the same blocks. If you don't have more of the same fabrics... use different fabrics with similiar tones and mix em up.
If you want to audition different sashings... just put the fabric of choice behind the blocks and space the blocks one or two inches apart. Stand across the room and look at it... you'll know if one catches your eye. Try different colors, before you make any cuts.
I have a program called Quilt Pro. I like it much better than Electric Quilt. I use it to audition different blocks with and without sashing, and change colors with a click.
Good Luck,
sewdarnbusy
Old 01-21-2011, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by dove
You could also skip the sashing and just go for a dark border; again, I'm thinking black. I can't wait to see the finished product. It's beautiful.
Ditto!!!!
Old 01-21-2011, 06:46 AM

"Stand across the room and look at it... you'll know if one catches your eye."

You can do this but squink your eyes a little bit...An odd/predominate color (if there is one) will pop out and you might want to eliminate it or use it more through out (if you make more blocks) to balance the top.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by wraez
Oh my gosh, here is a tutorial on exactly what I was trying to tell you. AND it is with photos, so easy to follow and it shows white as the 'self-sashing'

http://quiltville.com/stringquiltingprimer.shtml

Bonnie shows that she marks the foundation and she uses the foundation as the 'sashing' strip instead of sewing a separate fabric down the center.

hope this helps

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
oh my gosh!! this is sooo neat - i will definitely do this next time i make a string quilt. i hate doing sashing because i have trouble lining up the squares on each side.

thanks.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:27 AM

2, no more that 3-inches wide. No matter the color of your blocks, the color of the sashing will determine the color of your quilt. Red sashing, red quilt. And the first border, the one that touches the blocks/sashing should be the same color. This continuity helps carry the eye throughout the quilt.

Blocks look great!

Sandy
Old 01-21-2011, 08:38 AM

I am basically a beginner of only a few years, but just looking at what looks GOOD - I think it will be GREAT WITHOUT SASHING...just borders. Pretty!