Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
wild winding >

wild winding

wild winding

Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 PM

while shopping in JoAnn I was looking at bobbins and noticed there are a number of different sizes. They are marked by the term "class" But this page has almost any kind you could want, if you knew what you needed.

http://www.sew4less.com/category/2/Bobbin

Just look at all the sizes and varieties! Is it any wonder we get confused and purchase the wrong bobbins? For a long time I thought bobbins were all one standard size, then I began to find out some of the more expensive machines had their own special bobbins. Nothing is standard anymore.

Get out that manual and see if you have some notations on what size to buy, both bobbins and needles.

Happy quilting, girls.
June
Old 11-17-2008, 08:07 PM
Power Poster

I use only the plastic ones for my Kenmore too, like Terri does.

For my Bernina 640, I use only the Bernina ones.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:13 PM

I have a Bernina too and I only use Bernina bobbins. I probably have 25-30 bobbins, so when I start a new project I usually wind 4 to 5 bobbins. I cannot stand to stop in the middle of my project and have to wind a new bobbin.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:58 PM

I seen somewhere........you can get little plastic washers that is suppose to stop the crazy bobbin....I think they call them Bobbin Washers.....my machine use's whatever I put in it....guess it don't bother me....

http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com...ls/page_1.html

look for "Little Genie Magic Bobbin Washers"
Old 11-18-2008, 04:58 AM

I ordered some from Sears last night. Plastic ones, I did use my metal ones from my first machine, but I wanted a lot more. I think I may have to get rid of some that I bought. Thanks for the tip about putting a washer under the bobbin, my first machine had a felt circle under the bobbin.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:16 AM

i have tons of bobbins - plastic - that fit the Janome machines - i don't know if they fit any other machines or not, but i would be glad to mail a bunch to anybody if you want them.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:07 AM

Cathie, I have purchased some of the Little Genie Bobbin washers at JHittle and use them in my Bailey Home Quilter.

I also purchase their generic rotary cutter blades and have bought their box of 400 pins which are the best for pinning fabrics on the quilt frame leader cloth.

J Hittle offers lots of variety in products as well a customer service. He is a small business man and these are the people we need to support during this time of economic crisis. Wal-Mart did not care about us when they closed their fabric department. We can order from home and have these items sent to our door. Help save one American-owner business and make a purchase from this family.

http://jhittlesewing.funoverload.com...ls/page_1.html

June
Old 11-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Power Poster

bobbin bouncing while winding -

on my machines, when the bobbin is seated for winding, it behaves itself.

On some bobbins there is either a hole or notch near the center - some machines have a place for that to sort of settle into. It sort of clicks when it's in the proper position.

(I know what I mean here, but I'm having trouble articulating it)
Old 11-18-2008, 10:06 AM

I love the jhittlesewing.com!!!! They are fast, inexpensive, and you know what the heck you're getting.......
Old 11-18-2008, 11:25 PM
Banned

Boyfriend bought me a singer sew simple machine . It has several quirks ! Singer calls them safety measures , I call them a pain in the butt ! The bobbins listed in the manual are not the right bobbin size ! Only plastic . I like the older machines that have metal bobbins . :D Just try winding monofilament thread on a plastic bobbin ! Broke several :mrgreen: Annie