Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will I be disappointed with Janome 6500 >

Will I be disappointed with Janome 6500

Will I be disappointed with Janome 6500

Old 07-03-2011, 09:52 AM

I upgraded from a basic White machine to the 6600 knowing that I would grow into it (also knowing that my husband would not understand if I wanted to trade in my new machine for a newer machine within 6 months), and have not regretted my decision one bit. I use the Accufeed almost all the time, even for non-quilting projects. I do miss the free arm, but I have a little Janome Gem I keep on the side for when I really need the free arm and also for when my 6600 is getting his annual service. I've had him (Edward) for 3 years now and still love it.

My mouth is watering over the 7700, but my husband would never understand and besides that, I wouldn't want Edward to feel left out.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:03 AM

I love my 6500. I recently bought the 1/4 foot they brought out for the Horizon. This one goes over my joining seams fantastically. I had problems with the foot that came with the machine. Otherwise everything else on the machine is wonderful. I especially love the speed control, thread cutter, many decorative stitches, larger throat, etc.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:44 AM

My first suggestion, find a reputable dealer. Take a class, talk to the other customers. The second, try all the machines that have what you want before purchasing. I have the Jem Platnum, MC1001 and the Horizon. The only problem I had was with my Horizon and I took it in, said they fixed it. I didn't see any change and took it back, again they said they fixed it. I was told I could be using the wrong needle or thread. Needless to say I wasn't happy. I opened the machine at the store and it was doing the same thing with the correct needle and thread. They gave me the store model and I was okay with that, but then the computer went out. Took it in for repairs and had the same problem. I called the dealer, she thought I should get an Industrial Machine if I was going to sew through Jean fabric for purses. I emailed the owner of the company and had a new machine delivered to my home, still in the box the same day. After all of that I love my Horizon, it sews beautifully.
Good Luck,
Pam
Old 07-03-2011, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by PurplePassion
Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
try it first. i just got a used 6500 and cannot get it to free arm quilt for the life of me. It keeps getting caught in the feed dogs and i've heard this is a common problem.
What do you mean by "freearm quilt"? If you mean freemotion--- you drop the feed dogs. and they have a plate with a single hole in it , that you can use. And I bought a used 6500; and really like it . I can push alot of quilt through the space.
She's talking about the fact that the 6600 does not have a freearm. The piece comes off the bed so you can sew cuffs and smaller stuff. You will find it extremely hard to sew pocketbooks and tote bags if you don't have a freearm. It can be done, but I found myself scratching the side of the metal case with pins just to get it placed correctly so I could sew around the bag.

I had the 6600 and traded it for the 7700 because it didn't have the free arm. Also, I wouldn't trade the Acufeed for anything. It's totally worth it.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:57 AM

Please excuse my ignorance but what does the accufeed do?
Old 07-03-2011, 12:05 PM

I have used my Janome 6500 for seven years and am completely satisfied with it. I know the auto threader and cutter are a must have. Saves on thread also. A little heavy if you carry it to classes, but worth it to me. Highly recommended.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:01 PM

It feeds the upper layer of fabric along with the bottom layer of fabric, which is moved through with the feed dogs. Basically, the Accufeed foot has little feed dogs also to help move the top layer of fabric through. This is really great when you have multiple layers (quilting), slippery fabric (satins), matching stripes, or anything sewn on the bias.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:12 PM

Janome is the best workhorse brand there is. If you can afford to buy the 6600, fine, if not, you will still be fine. Like the other, check to see if you can find a used 6600 for the same money. The 6500 has plastic bushings, the 6600 does not, it is all metal. I have the 6600 and am looking at a 6300 as an additonal machine. I am such a fan of Janome that I have nothing but that brand. Have had no major issues, even have an embroidery machine. There is a lady who is selling a 10001 on here worth the money, sewing, quilting and embroidery all in one.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:15 PM

I have the 6500 and love it. Never had a prob with it and have owned it at least 6 years. Personally for the money they beat out lots of other machines.
Old 07-03-2011, 01:33 PM

I have had a love/hate relationship with my Janome and had a miserable dealer as well who blamed every problem on "operator error". There is a small oil wick hole under the bobbin case that tends to dry out making the bobbin case rattle, growl and even jump out of place. Once I found out about this, I oil it regularly when I clean my machine. I also found that this machine does not begin sewing easily without pulling fabric into the feed dog plate. The single hole plate helped as did using leaders. My 6500 also likes to veer off the seam line at seam junctions. I have worn off paint on the bed of the machine and around the edge of the machine and pins seem to scratch the finish easily. I also had a lot of trouble raising and lowering the feed dogs for FM quilting. Once the feed dogs were down they would not come back up into place no matter how you moved the toggle for that function. As a result the machine would not feed fabric through properly and the stitch length was always off. Another Janome dealer finally corrected that problem by adding a missing screw. I like the thread cutter, larger harp and fancy stitches. I do wish that this machine (and others) had a longer basting stitch. My old Singer 201 has a longer stitch length than my Janome 6500. There are no perfect machines out there. Learn your machine and make it work for you.