Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will my machines survive!?? >

Will my machines survive!??

Will my machines survive!??

Old 04-26-2013, 06:19 AM

We've made the same move twice while married - TN to Guam and then back; then Alabama to Guam and back. Shipped a different machine each time and never had any problems at all.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 AM

If your concern about the heat and mositure for the machines, put some charcoal in a old nylon and store it with the machines. That will help control the mositure. We were told this years ago, when we traveled to and from Guam with the Air Force. It worked great and we did not have any damage for the shippment took three months to get there. Also take plenty of pictures and add the machine to your homeowner. That should be done for everyday too. Good Luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:54 AM

On the sidebar note- I moved back to Iowa from Florida Fall 0f '08, I can't wait to get back to Florida, even being born and raised in Iowa. I actually like the humidity, it's the no-see-ums that eat me alive!!
I would be tempted to put the Diamond in the car with me, but I have to agree leave it to the professionals. mho
When you get a chance try to visit the Quilt show in Des Moines.(Oct's)
Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

If it were me, I would pack one machine - in fabric of course - if you don't have the original carton, to take with me, just in case the POD doesn't get there when you do. But that's just me, I wouldn't want to be without my machine for long, but then I'm obsessive.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Car insurance probably would not cover the machines if anything happened to them there (including theft), whereas the movers are supposed to have insurance. Be very careful how they list them, however. I have found through a number of moves that there are unscrupulous people who will make up a long list of bogus scratches and dents for anything they think might be valuable. They know that in the frenzy of moving, and while they have several people working in different rooms, it is very hard for you to monitor everything at once.

Computerized things like to be cool, but I think that's mostly a factor while they are running. It might be that the plastics would be more vulnerable to high heat than the chips. If the machines are closer to the bottom and center of the pod other items around them will provide some insulation. Keep in mind that these machines were probably shipped around the world in pods before you got them!
Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7 View Post
Good luck in your move. I'm with you, I don't cope well with the heat - I'll take the cold anytime. If it gets too cold I can just stay in the house and be cozy.
I live in FL and when it gets too hot, I can just stay in the house and be nice & cool. But, I do love Rapid City in the summer.
We lived in ND for many years prior to moving to FL. When we moved, I lost a hand made crocheted bedspread (made by my grandma).It was taken out of a box and because I stored the boxes for 3 months while our house was being built, I couldn't even claim theft. So, that being said, I would just make sure your machines are insured.
Good luck.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:18 PM

Welcome to Minnesota. Seasons we have Winter-Muck-mosquitoes-Fall.

Muck is spring when the roads that are gravel are slippery and so are many driveways.

Summer is the mosquitoes. Bring bug spray.

You will love it here.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:26 PM

I just got one of my Janomes back from Italy. It traveled with no problems. The Air Force doesn't hire the sharpest knives in the drawer to pack, so it was in it's case, wrapped in many layers of brown paper. it works fine anddoesn't have a scratch on it. Go figure!
Old 04-27-2013, 04:29 AM

If I take mine on a trip and they get hot or cold, I just let them set at room temp over night before I try to use them.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:39 AM

Yes, I know it gets hot...however the season is nowhere near as long as it is in Florida. I grew up in Minnesota as well, wintertime was always my favorite. You never found me inside in the winter, the summertime, you never found me outside. LOL. Thanks for the welcome...much appreciated.