Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Will my machines survive!?? >

Will my machines survive!??

Will my machines survive!??

Old 04-27-2013, 05:06 AM

My machine was in a storage container for a total of three months. We were moving from Italy to NY. It was in the original box. It sat in that box for another 8 years and got moved three times. Finally my husband suggested to change the motor from 220 to 110 so that it can be my backup machine. After 9 years sitting in a box in various places, that baby sew like there was no tomorrow. Good luck!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:51 AM

I have several machines including the Des. Diamond and for what I paid for that puppy, I myself, would strap (seat belt) that one in the back seat of the car like a baby and keep it with me for the trip. I'd ship the rest of the machines but make double sure that each were in their orig. boxes with the orig. packing and packed tight in case the handlers would drop them. Ugh!!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:46 AM

We moved from FL last August to the Birmingham AL area and I "toted" my Bernina and Babylock Ellegante w/us . . . it was a 12 hr. trip, but worth my peace of mind However, with the distance you're traveling as long as you follow all the great advice on packing, etc. your machines should arrive safely! We couldn't stand the heat any longer either - at least we have our seasons in AL Best wishes to you & yours on your relocation - and, drive safely!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:25 PM

Default traveling with machine

Originally Posted by sugarplum View Post
I have a concern about my sewing machines....we are in the process of moving to Minnesota from Florida (cuz I love the cold and I HATE THE HEAT....get those 2 answers out of the way of the enevitable questions, oh yeah and no I am not crazy) my concerns are I have 3 computerized machines that will be packed in a POD and shipped to Minn. They will be in storage here only for a day or so. Is the heat going to harm them? One is a Viking Diamond Deluxe and I would hate to have to replace it, actually I do not think my DH would shell out that kind of money for a second one, nor would I expect him to, in any event, any thoughts???
We traveled from Paris Idaho all the way across the u.s. to n.c. which took us four days and I had three computerised sewing machines with me. one was in our fifth wheel and the other two were in a moving van. yes they should all survive just make sure they are packed well. I believe it would be worse to have them in freezing weather then warm weather.
Old 04-27-2013, 01:02 PM

I have a Viking Lily 550 and have shipped it from California to Oregon via moving van. From Oregon to Las Vegas via moving van and to Tennessee and back to Las Vegas in a pod. I just put it in a box by itself and packed pillows all around it and never have had a problem. It sews just like the day I bought it and that was over 15 years ago.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 PM

I would ask my local sewing machine store to help me pack the machine. Take lots of pictures.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:37 PM

Last year in late July three of us drove from Houston to Buffalo, stopping along the way at quilt shops. I was worried about our machines locked in the hot car as we made our visits to LQS on the way so I called the dealer/service shop that I use. They told me that their machines are stored in warehouses and that the temperature got much higher than what I was concerned about so I should not worry. You can imagine how hot it would get in a warehouse in Houston. We had no problems (other than too much fabric to buy).
Old 04-27-2013, 09:02 PM

You could email the manufacturers for their opinion.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:39 AM

Welcome to Minnesota. What part of Minnesota are you moving to? I live in the Southwestern part of the state. Once you move, you might want to know where there are local quilt shops. Ask on here and I'm sure us Minnesotan's will help you. The motto for Minnesota is that we are "Minnesota friendly". There is also the MN Quilt Show that is coming up in Duluth in June. I think it starts June 13th and goes throught eh weekend. Duluth is about 5 hours from me but I am going on a bus trip there to attend the Quilt Show. It is a very worthwhile show to attend. Then in August we have the MN Quilt Shop Hop that goes on for approximately 2 weeks at beginning of August. That is also very fun to do. Many bus trips to many different sections of Quilt Shops in the state. You can find out more about both of these events by googling "MN Quilt Show" and "MN State Shop Hop". Welcome to Minnesota.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:01 PM

I'd be too worried to do that - rather take my chances in my car!