Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wish Mom Was Here >

Wish Mom Was Here

Wish Mom Was Here

Old 06-14-2016, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Welcome, I think you are in the right place! You want fabric that is 100% cotton. If you are playing around online, check out some of the free quilt patterns. Order some fabric, and then go for it. It is a great hobby and I hope you love it! I haven't looked, but there are probably some videos on "learning to quilt" too. Just google and see what you learn.

Dina
Great advice, Dina! I had sewed for years when I started so knew my way around a sewing machine and fabric, but not quiltmaking. I watched lots of videos, about cutting, sewing, the 1/4" seam (I was used to the 5/8" seam because I was a garment maker) and found them all very helpful.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:10 AM

Once you get started you will have so much fun!! My mother was also a wonderful seamstress and quilter, but I was always too busy to pick her brain. I've been at this for about 16 years now and the possibilities are just endless. A lot has changed just over those years. Machine quilting, paper piecing, etc.

To get started I would recommend using good quality of fabrics, have a good pair of scissors that are to be used on fabric only...no paper...that can ruin a good pair of scissors. You need a cutting mat and a rotary cutter. Skip all of the fancy gadgets for awhile. I like 50wt thread because it doesn't bulk up the seams. And, be sure to have your iron handy. The more you press the better the quilt will turn out. Get a relatively simple and small pattern and go for it. Be sure to finish that first one and hang it up where you can see your improvement with each and every one that you do.
The best to you..Ii know you can do it.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:19 AM
Power Poster

I think maybe you want to pick a pattern you really like and go from there. Choose something simple to begin with and then step up to a harder pattern for the next. I like this site because it has some frilly and some manly type free patterns. Once one of them peeks your interest, you buy the fabrics and start the blocks. That way if you find it isn't a hobby you want to continue with, you have only invested in the one. Quilting can be very expensive. I like riley blake fabrics.

https://www.rileyblakedesigns.com/fr...ting_projects/

Another site that has some nice graphic designs is redroosterfabrics.com

Last edited by RedGarnet222; 06-14-2016 at 07:26 AM.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:49 AM

Some of the best quilters are men...Ricky Tims, Jamie Wallen to name a few. First decide on colors you would enjoy. Then go to you tube and watch the Missouri Star Quilt Store videos. They are awesome. Also, I LOVE bloc lock rulers. She has lovely video tutorials and her rulers lock on, making it very easy to get accurate cuts. They are a little pricey but you only have to buy them once. Most importantly is to enjoy the process! If you live near El Paso Texas, I'm a longarm quilter who quilts for the public. Best luck to you, you're entering a world of wonder!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:36 AM

Welcome, welcome Dan

Lots of great info here so far. I hope we haven't overwhelmed but your leather working skills and your mother's quilting legacy will give you a great foundation!

First of all don't be intimidated by the beautiful quilts your mother and others have made. It pays to start simple with appropriate expectations. I started out making quilts that a kid could drag through mud holes and be washed for another round of fun the next day. That puts things into perspective! I still love to make quilts like that. I can do fancy schmantzy but mostly I make charity quilts for kids to use and love. There's a place for every quilt we make!

You have lots of good advice so far but there are a couple of tips more I can add. First look up steam vs no steam and the difference between ironing and pressing. Your iron is as essential as your sewing machine! Next that 1/4 inch seam needs to be a scant one. That means about 1 thread shy so you can account for the fold. And. Finally, your machines sound just fine but they need TLC. I am sure this is no news to you. If you go looking fo another one the needle down feature is a good one. You will find that leaving that needle down when you stop is as good as a bookmark.

Nearly every quilter here is wishing they could bring/send you some fabric, some of their extra tools, scissors and cutters, and help you get started! We are quilters. You know already from your own mother that we are the most generous people on the planet. We are here for you. It's how we roll!
Old 06-14-2016, 08:52 AM

If you find a pattern that you want to make, just buy the fabric for that quilt. That will get your feet wet. Buy a little more than you need, and before you know it you will have a stash. If you like to look on the web, join the Fab Shop Hop and look at the fabric offered on the various sites. You don't have to buy any of it, but you can if you want to. Between the help on this board and the various shops on the web, you will have information coming out of your ears. lol Probably more than you want. Building a stash is the easy part, using all of it the hard part. Start small--maybe a table runner-- and get started. Soon you will have more projects than time. Good luck, and welcome to the board.
Sue
Old 06-14-2016, 09:08 AM
Power Poster

First welcome to the QB. You will find most answers to your questions. I myself am not a fan of pre-cuts. I prefer to cut my own. I've had to many different sizes and had to cut the precuts to fit. I would start with a pattern. Jenny Doan Missouri Star Quilt Company has videos for beginners from start to finish. Not sure where you want to start but maybe a quilt or 2 just for you, one for the sofa and then for your bed. Maybe just placemats. Again welcome to the QB!
Old 06-14-2016, 09:39 AM

with your circumstances at present, I would definitely recommend you watch a couple Missouri Star Quilt Co. videos. Jenny's fabrics are precuts and good for how you want to start and you can do everything from home. She will also make you feel very comfortable.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 AM

Welcome Dan! You've gotten a lot of great advice so far but I thought I toss in my nickels worth. As much as I like Jenny Doan, make sure you check out YouTube where you can find beginning to advanced tutorials of all kinds, the links below are a couple of my favorites. The Quilt Board has a wealth of information with all kinds of tutorials as well as pictures for inspiration and links and resources. As far as buying online, I think everyone has their favorites so you might have to try a few to decide...honestly I've not had a bad experience with any. That being said, if you have any local quilt shops be sure to check them out. Not just for fabric, but for advice, classes and inspiration. Even though shopping online is more convenient there is no replacing physically seeing/feeling the products. (I try to only buy online if it's something I can't get locally) Mostly take your time and have fun, and be sure to share your progress with your new friends on the QB!

https://www.youtube.com/user/SewVeryEasy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT6...bYL3EuxDuutZDA
Old 06-14-2016, 10:50 AM

Welcome Dan! I haven't checked all the posts here yet, but wonder if anyone has suggested starting with a kit? That is a foolproof way of knowing you will like the finished project and they come complete with all the fabric to construct the top. Good luck!