Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wool batting in a hot climate? >

Wool batting in a hot climate?

Wool batting in a hot climate?

Old 01-26-2018, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by SherylM View Post
When I go down to visit in April, I'm looking forward to wearing my summer clothes! It will more than likely still be cold up here, though the weather is so wacky everywhere, you just never know. I feel so bad for you southerners that get "surprised" with all that snow, because even though the northern states can get ridiculous amounts, at least we're equipped for it and used to it. I know you don't have furnaces in your homes down there - my aunt just has a small heater.

After I thought my decision was final (I drive myself crazy sometimes), I decided to call a quilt shop in Corpus because I figured they would certainly know what was best for their climate, and she told me that they mostly sell and use Quilter's Dream Select, so that's what I'll go with. I think I'll be happier with it too; this morning at my LQS I saw a couple of quilts that were quilted with the Request and they just seemed so...skinny. I'm used to my poufy wool quilts.
I"m not sure where you heard that we don't have furnaces in our houses. I don't know anyone that doesn't have a furnace here. We may not use them much but we have them! We have a large 2 story house and have one furnace for downstairs and one for the upstairs. Our downstairs furnace went out the day before Christmas weekend and we didn't get it fixed until the next week. We still had the upstairs one so it was warm up there and I was okay with the 65 downstairs.

I'm a bit mystified why your aunt doesn't have one in her house. Is it a really old house?

Last edited by cashs_mom; 01-26-2018 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
I"m not sure where you heard that we don't have furnaces in our houses. I don't know anyone that doesn't have a furnace here. We may not use them much but we have them! We have a large 2 story house and have one furnace for downstairs and one for the upstairs. Our downstairs furnace went out the day before Christmas weekend and we didn't get it fixed until the next week. We still had the upstairs one so it was warm up there and I was okay with the 65 downstairs.

I'm a bit mystified why your aunt doesn't have one in her house. Is it a really old house?
Well, my aunt told me that, and I do believe it's an older house, though I don't know exactly how old. When my uncle was alive he was notorious for being "frugal" and I can just about guess that he didn't see the sense in it. The house is a ranch style that had an addition put on at some point, which is where my cousins slept. In the 70's, they had a couple of window unit air conditioners in the main part of the house, but he wouldn't put AC in the kid's part, and that's where I slept when I went to visit. Ugh...the humidity was so bad that everything smelled like mildew. Hopefully they've installed central air since then.

Last edited by SherylM; 01-26-2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old 01-26-2018, 05:59 PM

No A/C? Aaaacccckkkkk. I'd never be able to sleep! It well could have been his "frugality". My MIL lived in a small house that was built in the late 40's and it had central heat, but no central A/C until she had it installed in the 80's. And, yup, without A/C everything does smell like mildew (and probably has it). I hope they have A/C for you when you go visit.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:51 PM
Power Poster

Sheryl, my first thought was that at 89 your dear auntie may get cold a lot. Most elderly people do. I just bought some wool batting so I can't tell you much about it.
I hope you have a great trip with your adored aunt!!
Old 01-26-2018, 06:55 PM

I think your decision to use QD Select is a good one. I have used all you mentioned - QD Request, Select and QD wool. I don’t use the Request anymore as I think it’s too thin and doesn’t give enough definition to the FMQ. I love the Select and the wool. The wool is thicker and I think would be too warm. Your aunt will love the quilt. How nice of you to make it.
Old 01-27-2018, 02:09 AM

I'm glad you decided not to use the QD Request. When I used it I disliked that it was so thin it was difficult to reposition without having it tear. It's that thin. I love Quilter's Dream products, their wool is what I use in my own quilts, but I prefer Select to Request when I use cotton. Have a wonderful visit with your aunt!
Old 01-27-2018, 04:00 AM
Power Poster

Use the wool!
Wool batting is lightweight, yet lofty, breaths and is what I often use in summer quilts.
Old 01-27-2018, 06:49 AM

Something else to keep in mind is that older people often feel cold when younger folks don't.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:38 AM

Cotton, silk and wool are all breathable and year-round cool in summer, warm in winter. Wool might be good for someone elderly because it is lightweight and weight of bedding on your feet can hurt when you are arthritic
Old 01-27-2018, 07:43 AM

I would definitely ask her what she would like, we run our AC 10 months a year at my house but I keep it pretty low (hot natured) so my hubby likes warmer quilts than you would think for our climate lol. If you can afford it, wool or silk seem like the nicest way to go.